RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Getting More Serious About Shipping Truck Camper to Europe

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting More Serious About Shipping Truck Camper to Europe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Split your time between Schengen and non schengen countries. Morocco is an amazing country and a good place to RV. Did I understand you speak French? If so that will serve you well in North Africa. We would switch between French and Spanish in North Morocco but further south French is king.

Turkey is also a good schengenn alternative as are other countries north of that area.

Get a 240 volt battery charger and just run off battery. No need to plug in.

On edit. Not sure if your lady speaks Arabic (any dialect). We have found it is becoming a good bridge language even if you just get the basics down. Greetings, needs, wants, directions. Great for cultural exchanges.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, Joerg!

Very helpful advice. I planned to bring all my tools for working on the Dodge RAM myself.

In the States I almost always did my own work until recently when time constraints caused me to try some repair shops. Unfortunately, they always took more time than doing the job myself and often they broke other things when doing a repair.

I finally got everything running well on this old truck.

I also used to fix my own Mercedes Sprinter here in the States because I had one of the first ones and they break a LOT. At least the old ones did. It was usually just a sensor, but yes, very used to repairing my own vehicles. I think this is even more important when traveling internationally. I agree.

Thank you for sharing all your knowledge of Germany and Europe in general.

This seems possible, which is very encouraging.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Split your time between Schengen and non schengen countries. Morocco is an amazing country and a good place to RV. Did I understand you speak French? If so that will serve you well in North Africa. We would switch between French and Spanish in North Morocco but further south French is king.

Turkey is also a good schengenn alternative as are other countries north of that area.

On edit. Not sure if your lady speaks Arabic (any dialect). We have found it is becoming a good bridge language even if you just get the basics down. Greetings, needs, wants, directions. Great for cultural exchanges.

So to comply with the 90 days out of the last 180 days rule, we could go to any non-Schengen Country or set of countries and tour around that for 90 days? Then back into the Schengen area for another 90? And could we keep doing that for a year or two?

Good point about the battery charger. The only thing we would need to plug-in for is the air conditioning. That is, if we didn’t want to run it on propane. We run it on propane all the time now. I have not plugged this RV In in over a year full time use. So only if the generator breaks, and it is unbearable out, do we need the power cord.

And yes. She speaks Bengali, Hindi, and a little bit of Arabic. And I have learned some as well. Just a little tiny bit. As-salamu alaykum, things like this.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I give you this link:
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

The system is not yet in place. It is similar to the USA's ESTA. When I applied for my ESTA, I had to stat all citizenships I have or once had (for me, that is just german). The ETIAS may ask the same questions. Keep that in mind when you travel on you US passport...

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

Reisender wrote:

So to comply with the 90 days out of the last 180 days rule, we could go to any non-Schengen Country or set of countries and tour around that for 90 days? Then back into the Schengen area for another 90? And could we keep doing that for a year or two?

Good point about the battery charger. The only thing we would need to plug-in for is the air conditioning. That is, if we didn’t want to run it on propane. We run it on propane all the time now. I have not plugged this RV In in over a year full time use. So only if the generator breaks, and it is unbearable out, do we need the power cord.

And yes. She speaks Bengali, Hindi, and a little bit of Arabic. And I have learned some as well. Just a little tiny bit. As-salamu alaykum, things like this.

So yes. 90 days in 90 days out. There is more to Europe than the Schengan zone. Time your 90 days with the seasons. Morocco is great in the winter.

Arabic is tough but worth learning. Morrocan diallect is a little different but they’ll switch to Modern Standard Arabic for you. It’s what they learn in school. French is the go to language though. Lots of German in the campgrounds because half of Germany is there in the winter.

Travelling in Europe and North Africa and Europe is always a fun linguistic exercise for us. I speak English, German, French, Spanish and a little Arabic. Not uncommon to use all of them in a one hour time period. Way fun.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

You can do any mix, so it could be 20 in, 20 out repeatedly. As long as when you look back you never exceed 90 out of the last 180 days. If you are going to push the limits, make sure to keep track of any day you spend any amount of time in the Schengen (ie: if you fly in and customs records your arrival at 11:50pm, that still counts as a day even though you only spent 10min).

[emoticon]ap_of_the_Schengen_Area.svg" border="0" alt="[image]">

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is exciting stuff! Thanks, everyone. This has become a plan for us thanks to this thread.

We plan to use a roro ship and pay for them to handle all the customs tasks.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

This is exciting stuff! Thanks, everyone. This has become a plan for us thanks to this thread.

We plan to use a roro ship and pay for them to handle all the customs tasks.

The Ferry to Morocco is also RoRo. Maybe a 25 minute ride.

Even Gibraltar is technically out of the Schengen. Don’t think they have camping there. Make sure you get stamped though.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does a foreign car come under these regulations? It confuses me a little because I come from the boating world.

https://www.drive-france.com/checklist/

For example, I don’t think it is feasible for us to get a pollution sticker. Not that I know of anyway.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pollution stickers are yet another mess. For Germany, yes, everyone "needs" one if they want to drive within the environmental zones around the big cities. So if you come from France, the Netherlands, or Norway, you are supposed to know about this and get the sticker - if your vehicle is eligible.

I believe it is the same for the french zones.

I have no idea how they even want to determine for which sticker your truck is eligible.

I wouldn't worry about it much, unless the shipping company brings it up. You can not legally drive inside these zones. You can also politely fake ignorance if you do and get caught, I suppose. If I were a european cop I probably would not want to find out what the actual regulations are and what to do with you. But I am not one.

Your truck is a Diesel?

* This post was edited 06/14/19 09:58am by joerg68 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting More Serious About Shipping Truck Camper to Europe
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS