RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Getting More Serious About Shipping Truck Camper to Europe

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting More Serious About Shipping Truck Camper to Europe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

The pollution stickers are yet another mess. For Germany, yes, everyone "needs" one if they want to drive within the environmental zones around the big cities. So if you come from France, the Netherlands, or Norway, you are supposed to know about this and get the sticker - if your vehicle is eligible.

I believe it is the same for the french zones.

I have no idea how they even want to determine for which sticker your truck is eligible.

Your truck is a Diesel?

Yes, it's a diesel. I would imagine it's next to impossible to figure this part out.

So it doesn’t work like a boat? With a boat, everything is as it should be in the country the boat is flagged with. Then come or you are just a visitor. Temporarily. Only on changing flags do the requirements change.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

see edited post above

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Older Diesels only get the lowest class and may no longer be driven in these zones.
I will not talk about the usefulness of these laws.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

Does a foreign car come under these regulations? It confuses me a little because I come from the boating world.

https://www.drive-france.com/checklist/

For example, I don’t think it is feasible for us to get a pollution sticker. Not that I know of anyway.

I'm not sure about the special pollution areas but you are allowed to drive your US licensed vehicle...the only catch is your US insurance likely doesn't cover you in Europe and European insurance carriers will typically want a European address.

Not insurmountable by any means just a bit of a hassle finding someone who knows what to do.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too will suggest getting a 230 volt (Give or take 10) converter Progressive Dynamics 9200 series includes one.. At least 2 pair GC-2 feeding a 2000 watt inverter will keep most of your on board stuff happy (Forget any 120 volt A/C's)

Televisions Won't. Most everything else should

If you want to use electric heat (Water or space) you will need to make changes. OR buy a BIG Heavy Transformer (Expensive) or .. Well for heaters there is another way to do it but I'd rather not go there

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I too will suggest getting a 230 volt (Give or take 10) converter Progressive Dynamics 9200 series includes one.. At least 2 pair GC-2 feeding a 2000 watt inverter will keep most of your on board stuff happy (Forget any 120 volt A/C's)

Televisions Won't. Most everything else should

If you want to use electric heat (Water or space) you will need to make changes. OR buy a BIG Heavy Transformer (Expensive) or .. Well for heaters there is another way to do it but I'd rather not go there

I don’t need any of that. None of that runs on electricity. That’s all propane. And 12 V from the sun. I am completely self-sufficient. I have not plugged this RV in in a year and have used it almost full-time.

And then includes the heat, the air conditioning, and everything. Heat runs off propane.

Air conditioning runs off electricity, but that’s with the generator is for. It is rarely used. Only when it is very uncomfortable out.

buta4

MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Have you made preparations on how to plug in your RV?

Propane tank fillup fittings are different also.

Ray

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the pollution sticker is what will kill this. All the places you try to go seem to exclude my RV.

Seems no major or secondary cities will allow a larger diesel truck to visit.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I think the pollution sticker is what will kill this. All the places you try to go seem to exclude my RV.

Seems no major or secondary cities will allow a larger diesel truck to visit.

You can always consider buying a used one in Germany or Holland. They will keep it in their name so you can insure it and it can travel anywhere with all the proper paperwork. Done commonly. If you need help finding the website let me know. I speak German. I seem to recall though their website has like 6 languages you can choose from. They’ll Pick you up at the Airport (Berlin or Amsterdam) and get it all done. They have service support setup thru all of Europe and Morocco.

Just a thought.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah... I see. I'm 3.9 metric tonnes on the GVWR. (8800 lbs) It's a 2500 model RAM, not a dually.

Curb weight plus truck camper dry weight is 7858 lbs without water in it. Or ... 3.56 metic tonnes.

I find it hard to believe a Diesel truck with a Arctic Fox camper that has a slide out and generator only weighs 7858 lbs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting More Serious About Shipping Truck Camper to Europe
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS