RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Getting More Serious About Shipping Truck Camper to Europe

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Getting More Serious About Shipping Truck Camper to Europe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After doing some research, it seems very expensive to rent or buy motorhomes in Europe. I already have a completely paid off 2002 Dodge ram with arctic fox truck camper. Manual transmission. The truck is running really well now. I have done lots of repairs.

One of the things I’d like to do in life is return to Europe for a while and live there. So I would be for timing in the Arctic Fox. I have a few questions. Hopefully we have some European members also that could steer me in the right direction as well as experienced Americans.

1) Length of stay

I am American born. My girlfriend is also American born. However, I am an Irish citizen. In the foreign birth registry. I did not get my Irish passport yet, but I should probably do that soon. My girlfriend has only the American passport. Is there a way for me as a citizen of Ireland and the EU to get some sort of extended travel visa for my girlfriend? Something that would allow us to stay there for a year or two? Even six months?

2). Requirements as an international driver.

I know my license is good there. No problem. I have seen plenty of Europeans here in the states doing the same thing. They have European plates and some of them those huge uniMogg motorhomes. LOL they drive around after importing it. No problem. However, what are the insurance requirements?

3) Safety as an American and mixed White/Muslim couple

I haven’t been to Europe in probably 15 or 20 years. I know things have changed a lot. Lots of immigration. I’m wondering how dangerous it might be to drive around as an obvious American in some crazy thing like an American truck camper. We would be very unique over there. There are very few Dodge Rams and very few truck campers. I don’t know if some of the more violent newcomers to the area who have recently immigrated might cause problems as they can plainly see we are from the United States from The truck camper.

Additionally, we are a mixed race, far apart in age couple. I am older, she is younger. I am white. She is of Bangladeshi descent And she is Muslim. But not so strictly. This could either work very well for us, or very poorly for us. Either the people will accept the other half of the couple because we are with one another, or the purists may be upset that we are mixed race couple. Is this going to be an issue at all?

I am used to blending in when I travel. People will often come up to me and speak French, or Hebrew, or German. They assume I am local. They assume I am a native. I like that feeling of not standing out. But this would be standing out in the extreme. Any advice about any of this?

4) American RV dump versus cassette toilet.

I see there are a lot of places to camp. Small parking spot type things. This is great. This is what I do in the states and Canada anyway. I squeeze the truck camper into a single parking spot most of the time. However, some of these sites listed as having a dump. For the waste. Do you think I will be able to maneuver my truck camper up to the waste dump and use my American dump hose? We only need to do this once every couple weeks. Because we have huge tanks. So maybe this would work?

5) Availability of Dodge Chrysler parts

Certainly, there may be some problems with the truck. Always something to fix. Will I be able to order parts for the truck? It may be easiest for me to order these online. Just have the delivery address in Europe somewhere. Also, is there much support from Diamler Chrysler for these parts? Can I get them at the parts counter in Europe?

6) Cell phones and Internet

As we travel all around Western Europe and possibly eastern Europe as well, will my T-Mobile phone work? It works all over the United States and Canada and Mexico without any additional charges as I travel. I am hoping I can get something similar for Europe. I currently have 48 gigs of data before they slow it down. This is LTE 4G data. Is there something similar in Europe where I can get a good amount of data like this? And that covers all of Europe?

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7) fuel cost and efficiency

This vehicle gets 4.3 km to the liter. Is it going to be horribly expensive to travel around Europe? Diesel.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

Senior Member

Joined: 02/27/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll try...

When you come to Europe with your rig as a tourist, you can keep it on the US registration and drive it here for a limited time. I believe 6 months, but could be less. Could vary by country, too. You would need to clarify with your insurance what they will cover or if you need an additional policy (likely).

If you want to stay longer (as a resident), you will need to import it and register it in the country of residence. This means technical changes and bureaucracy, the degree of which and associated time and cost vary by country. In Germany, it would be relatively easy to register as you broungt it with you when you moved here.

Europe is pretty big, and diverse as a result.

Being a mixed couple would not be an issue in most if not all european countries, in my opinion. Generally, I would not worry about it. None of the places I have ever been to gave me the impression that it could be a problem. Exceptions to the rule happen, as always, I guess. Europe is a safe place if you stick to the general common sense rules that apply everywhere.

We had a camper with a black tank for a few years. Dumping was never an issue. But again, it is a big place, and your experience may vary. Still, I would not worry. There will be space enough. Driving through some villages that were founded in the middle ages, maybe not so much.

Your phone will work just fine. But the roaming charges on your current plan probably will not. Either get a suitable plan on top of what you have, or get a local plan here. Roaming will now work throughout the EU at no charge, but calling the US can be very expensive. Also beware of non-EU countries like Switzerland, they are not included int the EU roaming protection laws.

Ram parts are somewhat available. But you can very easily mail order, e.g. from Rockauto. They ship with prepaid customs and duties if you do it right, and sometimes parts get here in 72 hours or less. The bigger issue will be finding a place that can and will do the work.

The biggest problem imo could be the visa/immigration issue for an extended stay. I am sure there are specialized places for research on that topic on the web. I know that the people from here that do the Panamericana usually do it in stages and fly back home after 6 months; they leave their rig in America and come back after a few weeks.


2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow


joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

Senior Member

Joined: 02/27/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland? I am asking because of Brexit.

If you were to take permanent residence in the EU, I would assume that your wife could stay with you indefinitely. I have no idea what happens if you just want to travel here for an extended time. You should take that up with the Embassy/Consulate when you apply for your passport.

Another issue that you need to clarify is health insurance.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

Are you a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland? I am asking because of Brexit.

If you were to take permanent residence in the EU, I would assume that your wife could stay with you indefinitely. I have no idea what happens if you just want to travel here for an extended time. You should take that up with the Embassy/Consulate when you apply for your passport.

Another issue that you need to clarify is health insurance.


Than you for the response. I hope to see quite a bit of your country on the trip. I enjoyed it in my past non-RV travels.


I'm a citizen of the Republic of Ireland.

It is only my girlfriend, possibly fiancee by the time we come to Europe. So, she does not, as far as I know, enjoy any benefits of my dual citizenship.

I had planned to use a global travel health insurance package as is common for global travelers. I have had these before traveling by boat.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is actually great information. Thank you very much. You tried and you succeeded. [emoticon]

I am relieved to hear the mixed race couple issue will not be a real issue anywhere (of course with some exceptions, as is always the case).

All of the immigration and vehicle immigration issues seem very daunting, however.

I will have to first check about the vehicle. 6 months is a short time to explore a continent. Hopefully more time can be added before I have to formally import the vehicle or am required to remove it. Certainly it doesn't meet many standards in Europe such as yellow directional lights.




joerg68 wrote:

I'll try...

When you come to Europe with your rig as a tourist, you can keep it on the US registration and drive it here for a limited time. I believe 6 months, but could be less. Could vary by country, too. You would need to clarify with your insurance what they will cover or if you need an additional policy (likely).

If you want to stay longer (as a resident), you will need to import it and register it in the country of residence. This means technical changes and bureaucracy, the degree of which and associated time and cost vary by country. In Germany, it would be relatively easy to register as you broungt it with you when you moved here.

Europe is pretty big, and diverse as a result.

Being a mixed couple would not be an issue in most if not all european countries, in my opinion. Generally, I would not worry about it. None of the places I have ever been to gave me the impression that it could be a problem. Exceptions to the rule happen, as always, I guess. Europe is a safe place if you stick to the general common sense rules that apply everywhere.

We had a camper with a black tank for a few years. Dumping was never an issue. But again, it is a big place, and your experience may vary. Still, I would not worry. There will be space enough. Driving through some villages that were founded in the middle ages, maybe not so much.

Your phone will work just fine. But the roaming charges on your current plan probably will not. Either get a suitable plan on top of what you have, or get a local plan here. Roaming will now work throughout the EU at no charge, but calling the US can be very expensive. Also beware of non-EU countries like Switzerland, they are not included int the EU roaming protection laws.

Ram parts are somewhat available. But you can very easily mail order, e.g. from Rockauto. They ship with prepaid customs and duties if you do it right, and sometimes parts get here in 72 hours or less. The bigger issue will be finding a place that can and will do the work.

The biggest problem imo could be the visa/immigration issue for an extended stay. I am sure there are specialized places for research on that topic on the web. I know that the people from here that do the Panamericana usually do it in stages and fly back home after 6 months; they leave their rig in America and come back after a few weeks.


Lwiddis

Crestview area, Inyo County, California

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/12/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seventeen/eighteen year old Ram driving around Europe. What if it needs mechanical repair?


2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.


time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/12/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you made preparations on how to plug in your RV?


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 06/12/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Girlfriend gets 90 days out of the last 180 in the schengen area. Not a deal breaker but you need to spend time outside the schengen.

You are more complicated. If you arrive and stay on your US passport, you have the same rules. If you come on your EU passport, you could trigger residency if you stay too long. Also, you would not be eligible for deferred import rules.

As a non resident, you can bring the RV in for up to 18months without paying VAT. Leave for a day(truck), and you get another 18 months. As a resident, VAT is due upon entering. Typically north of 20% of what they assess as the value.

Buy simcards, don't mess with US cell plans. They are cheap. Got a 50gb in Italy last month for 25euro. Then get a Skype number and you can call us numbers cheap.

The other stuff is pretty easy...though insurance may be tricky as you won't have a local address.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/19 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Girlfriend gets 90 days out of the last 180 in the schengen area. Not a deal breaker but you need to spend time outside the schengen.

You are more complicated. If you arrive and stay on your US passport, you have the same rules. If you come on your EU passport, you could trigger residency if you stay too long. Also, you would not be eligible for deferred import rules.

As a non resident, you can bring the RV in for up to 18months without paying VAT. Leave for a day(truck), and you get another 18 months. As a resident, VAT is due upon entering. Typically north of 20% of what they assess as the value.

Buy simcards, don't mess with US cell plans. They are cheap. Got a 50gb in Italy last month for 25euro. Then get a Skype number and you can call us numbers cheap.

The other stuff is pretty easy...though insurance may be tricky as you won't have a local address.


Wow. That’s very comprehensive information. Thank you. I guess I will have to look into that residency trigger. Make sure I don’t run into that. However, it probably makes the most sense for me to just stay on the same immigration rules as my girlfriend. It’s not like we are going to be going our separate ways when one triggers and the other doesn’t.

Truthfully, we are traveling around this continent and that one to see where we might want to live eventually. Getting a good look at everything.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Getting More Serious About Shipping Truck Camper to Europe
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS