|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dang Squirrels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Veedash

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Squirrel got in, and tore up what look like vent pipes (see image). There was a nest there I cleared out.
Pipes come up form floor and are located under the fridge. I assume it got in through the pipe and ripped it to shreds. Does anyone know what these pipes are for, and where they vent to and from?
Pipes are made from dryer vent type of material.

[image]

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are ducts for the a/c--heating system. Go to Lowes and get some aluminized tape to patch them up. Oddly enough duct tape is not for use on ducts.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are for delivering heated air from your furnace, hopefully that is all the damage in the photo and they did not leave urine or excrement behind.

Veedash

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the information.

Now I see it - makes sense - 3 ducts 3 floor vents. Not knowing whats in the ducts is going to lead me to replace them.
I will be dropping the coroplast bottom and hopefully it's not that big of a job.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One solo pellet of snake poop every 10' protects my underneath wiring while in storage. Reticulated pythons are very common around here. Kids keep small ones as pets. I use 2 sided tape. Have to renew it once per year. No smell at all and just an occasional shriek and streak of mice and squirrels.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tell me how do you collect snake poop? lol just had to ask.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

tell me how do you collect snake poop? lol just had to ask.

From a snake diaper.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a wet spring this year and have an explosiono of ground squirrels in the yard. They are notorious for getting into houses, so I decided to control them. There is a trap called a 'squirrelanator" that resets itself and really works. I live trap the little buggers and take them out on public land and turn them loose. The first set captured 4.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my original reply...

Howzabout a pet store? Just ask any ten-year-old boy.

Take an old, empty pill bottle.

This place had a mice problem. I gave Angel, age 11 a pill bottle and a promise of 50 pesos. Three days later the bottle came back stuffed. Out on the patio I carefully sprinkled some on two-sided tape. A few days later no shredded paper in the cupboard. Snake stuff was hidden behind the stove.

Works like a charm.costs less than poison or glue trap. At home it saved my tomatoes from full size rats.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about your squirrel problem!
We had the exact same scene in our trailer when we opened it up this spring. I replaced the furnace ducting with an all steel one from Lowes. If he ever gets in again, he will have some broken teeth if he tries to bite this!
[image]

I discovered he got in via a small crack between the trailer frame and the front cap. My son and I closed that up with some sheet aluminum from Lowes. Here is a view of the cap now looking up from underneath next to the A frame. We did both sides of the trailer.
[image]

After gaining access to the area between the outer and inner wall, the squirrel ate a 2.5 inch hole in the inner wall behind a kitchen drawer and use some of the insulation to fill the drawer full for a nest.
I took all the drawers home and cleaned them out very well and we patched the hole with another piece of aluminum.
[image]

After looking around, we found another place where the squirrel had used to enter the living space. He evidently travelled in the underbelly material and ate a hole in the rear hall closet where the black tank breather goes up through the trailer to the roof. We then patched that hole with another piece of aluminum sheet.
[image]

We then proceeded to make a squirrel trap using a 5 gal paint bucket, a piece of 1x4 about 4 feet long, and some waxed sunflower seeds. Pour the seeds into about 6 inches of water in the bucket, place the wood ramp on the side of the bucket and let it sit overnight. Place a few seeds on the ramp and leading up to it..
We caught 5 of the critters this way and have not had a single occurrence or problem with them since. By the way, our trailer sits in my sons family campground right in the middle of the woods so there are lots of critters around. They were evidently living in our woodpile.
[image]

Hope you have good luck getting rid of yours. Squirrels can do a great deal of damage to a RV and I have no sympathy for them.
Barney

* This post was last edited 06/13/19 07:21am by BarneyS *   View edit history

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dang Squirrels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS