|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Replacement mattress

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kathy Day

Bangor, ME

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I own a 2000 Coachmen Catalina travel trailer. We are debating a new smaller more efficient one, but we would be trading for less space and more expense. My biggest gripe in the old one is the mattress. I am considering buying a Zinus 10 inch memory foam. I have tried putting 2 4 inch memory foam mattresses on the bed together but it is horrible and my pressure points sink to the hard wood platform. Will the same thing happen with a Zinus? Also we have a soft bathroom floor that my husband has patched up, but it is still soft and uneven. Has anybody just ripped out the entire bathroom, replaced the floor and put in a new toilet and shower? I hate that useless little tub in there. I'm thinking that maybe a small investment is better than over 25,000 for a new smaller trailer.

Advice???

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nineteen years of faithful service, a TT that’s bigger than you want now and raggedy looking with a spongy bath area that a previous repair didn’t fix, so it might be time for a new TT.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced the nasty mattress that was in our TT with a Spa Sensations, 8-inch gel memory foam mattress from Walmart. It slept as good, if not better than our Tempurpedic we had in our house. When we sold that TT, we ordered a new mattress to go into our fifth wheel before we even took possession of it. When our Tempurpedic finally bit the dust at home, we replaced it with a 10-inch SS mattress. It's been good for about 6 years.

I guess it is just according to how much work, money and time you want to put into a 20 year old camper. Right now, it's not worth much, maybe 1-2K, but that might be stretching a bit with a soft floor.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Kathy Day

Bangor, ME

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Merrykcalia, everything works in our camper, even with the soft floor. It is clean, functional and it rolls nicely, and we are 70 years old! So, we either get the mattress we can sleep on and make do with the bathroom or bite the bullet and buy a brand new one. We know our old camper and all of the kinks in it I suppose. Thank you so much for your advice.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See if you can find a mattress manufacturer nearby.
I have one here in Phoenix. They custom made one for me. They can do just about anything. IIRC, it was in the mid 200s. Best money I ever spent

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go to a mattress store and buy a top quality house type mattress.

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

70 is just a number. Pay it no attention.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 02:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Just go to a mattress store and buy a top quality house type mattress.
This is often not an option. RVs are known for having special, non standard sizes.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best mattress made, that no one has ever heard of, is Verlo. Their website is Verlo.com. After viewing you will probably say I'm not paying that much for a mattress (where one spends 1/3 of their lives on it at home but less, of course on the camper). But it is still less than $25K!

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kathy Day wrote:

My husband and I own a 2000 Coachmen Catalina travel trailer. We are debating a new smaller more efficient one, but we would be trading for less space and more expense. My biggest gripe in the old one is the mattress. I am considering buying a Zinus 10 inch memory foam. I have tried putting 2 4 inch memory foam mattresses on the bed together but it is horrible and my pressure points sink to the hard wood platform. Will the same thing happen with a Zinus? Also we have a soft bathroom floor that my husband has patched up, but it is still soft and uneven. Has anybody just ripped out the entire bathroom, replaced the floor and put in a new toilet and shower? I hate that useless little tub in there. I'm thinking that maybe a small investment is better than over 25,000 for a new smaller trailer.

Advice???

After dealing with the mattress that came with the camper, trying a memory foam topper with little success, we bought the 10" Zinus at the beginning of this season. We've slept on it about a dozen times, and are happy with it. I'm 250 pounds, my wife about half of that. We both like how it sleeps. I had the pressure point problem with the old mattress and topper, but no longer do with this one. I was able to get it for around $200 from Amazon. I don't know what they cost now.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2017: 41
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Replacement mattress
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS