|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Camping with Dobermans

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

snowpeke wrote:

Had a Rottweiler that was tied up broke its chain and attacked my little dogs that were on leash. I hope all park owners will turn you down.

A rottweiler attacked your dogs so you condemn a doberman...

My shepherd mix was attacked by two mini schnauzers. Guess I should hope all park owners turn down poodles.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

Get a Million $ insurance policy guaranteeing coverage for any and all damages they might cause...I would then let them into my RV Park as that would make up for voiding my insurance.

No need for a policy you keep your vacancy and I will keep my money.
I know I can find another park without breed restrictions to accept my money, I hope/trust you can find another camper to fill your vacancy.
It's a win for both of us no policy required.
I've spent thousands in camping fees over the years, unfortunately none of it went to your CG. Unfortunately your breed restricting policies are restricting your revenues along with the dogs.

You are only seeing one side of the issue. As a non-pet person, I always check out the pet rules at potential parks and choose the ones with the strictest rules. So, in my case, they are gaining business because of their rules. I'm pretty sure there are far more people RVing without pets than there are people RVing with dogs on the aggressive breeds list, so the parks with stricter rules are going to be the winners.

The bottom line is that a private park can have whatever policy it wants regarding dogs. It's up to them to decide if it is worth it or not.

But if the park's insurance company puts a ban on breeds, then just say that. No one is asking you to ignore your insurance company. So no need to suggest a dumb thing like "get a million dollar insurance policy so I can ignore my insurance company's policy".

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

snowpeke wrote:

Had a Rottweiler that was tied up broke its chain and attacked my little dogs that were on leash. I hope all park owners will turn you down.

I’m really sorry that you went through this, a dog attack is terrifying. I was walking one of my dogs (Doberman), on leash and a cocker spaniel slipped away from a young boy and attacked my dog, she kept trying to get away from it and was so scared she peed herself, she did not fight back, she did not protect herself but she let out a gut wrenching cry when the cocker spaniel sunk his teeth into her leg. She needed stitches and I got injured in the process. The kids dad was an absolute lunatic and refused to show me proof that his dog had his rabies vaccine, I had no choice but to call the police to get this information. I however, chose not to press charges because I was afraid the dad would take out his anger on the dog or his son. Fast forward several weeks and I was out walking her again, nowhere near the house of the cocker, out of no where here comes the boy with his dog and he comes right up to us and let’s his dog get in my dogs face and intimidate her, I was prepared this time and put her in a sit by my side and kindly asked him leave us alone. Guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

It’s a shame that you feel the need to condemn me bc of a previous bad experience that I nor my dogs had anything to do with.

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

Get a Million $ insurance policy guaranteeing coverage for any and all damages they might cause...I would then let them into my RV Park as that would make up for voiding my insurance.

I know I can find another park without breed restrictions to accept my money, I hope/trust you can find another camper to fill your vacancy.
I've spent thousands in camping fees over the years, unfortunately none of it went to your CG. Unfortunately your breed restricting policies are restricting your revenues along with the dogs.

You are only seeing one side of the issue. As a non-pet person, I always check out the pet rules at potential parks and choose the ones with the strictest rules. So, in my case, they are gaining business because of their rules. I'm pretty sure there are far more people RVing without pets than there are people RVing with dogs on the aggressive breeds list, so the parks with stricter rules are going to be the winners.

And this is exactly why I said I’d go to a park where my dogs are welcome.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally the only dogs I am afraid of are the ones off leash or on those damnable recoil type. But I do have a courtesy questions from dog owners point of view, I always ask if it is okay to approach a dog. I am 6 feet tall and bending over a dog can appear to the dog to be an aggressive move, so once the dogs person says it is okay, I kneel before reaching for the dog. I feel that I've reduced my size and shown the dog I'm not a threat. After the dog sniffs and get tired of that I will gently touch the dog and then rise and talk to the person.

So what say you owners, is that a reasonable approach to putting you dog(s) at ease?

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster backplates

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Generally the only dogs I am afraid of are the ones off leash or on those damnable recoil type. But I do have a courtesy questions from dog owners point of view, I always ask if it is okay to approach a dog. I am 6 feet tall and bending over a dog can appear to the dog to be an aggressive move, so once the dogs person says it is okay, I kneel before reaching for the dog. I feel that I've reduced my size and shown the dog I'm not a threat. After the dog sniffs and get tired of that I will gently touch the dog and then rise and talk to the person.

So what say you owners, is that a reasonable approach to putting you dog(s) at ease?

Thank you! That is perfect! My Bat-dog is one who gets scared when people lean over her. Your approach is great. Even if you don't kneel, just as long as you don't lean over the dog is very helpful. I always tell folks to let Bat-dog approach them and don't make eye contact. It puts her at ease and let's her know it's her choice whether to make contact or not.

Folks like you make it much easier to teach Bat-dog that people are good.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

The fallacy is that there is an aggressive breed list.
I can understand you are not a dog person,but to believe we can somehow judge or determine a dog's aggression based on its breed is ridiculous.
We cannot determine a dog's aggression no more than we can determine a humans aggression.
If you choose no pet parks maybe your free of aggressive dogs.
But if dogs are allowed than there is a chance some idiot owner may have brought an aggressive dog to the CG. Breed restrictions do not eliminate the potential for aggressive dogs.
It's really not about the breed it's about the owner!
Since we certainly can not judge an owner/person by looking at them, we also cannot determine the dogs aggression.
When it comes to winners and losers, I'm still spending my camping $$$$ somewhere. I'm just not spending it at the breed restricted CG. I'm not sitting home with my Doberman with no place to go.
However a CG with breed restrictions is losing/refusing me as a customer. Hopefully they can replace me as easily as I can replace them.
AT the end of the day it is their loss not mine.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"It's really not about the breed it's about the owner!"

I would be rich if I got a nickel every time I heard someone, usually a Pitbull or Rottweiler owner, say this.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

"It's really not about the breed it's about the owner!"

I would be rich if I got a nickel every time I heard someone, usually a Pitbull or Rottweiler owner, say this.

My experience has been different. More than once my dog has been approached/attacked by some aggressive yapping ankle biter.
Some owner that has very little control over their dog.
Or then there are those who try to contain there 4 yappers in a portable plastic pen, that collapses and lets all the dogs escape and come chasing after my dog as we walk the CG on a leash. Again it's about the owner.
Those of us with larger dogs tend to make more effort to see to it that our dogs are secure vs. the little yappers who are kept in makeshift pens or on 25' leashes.
My dog has never been approached aggressively by a loose large dog or a dog from the restricted lists.
But we have been approach more times than I can count by small and medium sized dogs that the owners cannot control.

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Thank you! That is perfect! My Bat-dog is one who gets scared when people lean over her. Your approach is great. Even if you don't kneel, just as long as you don't lean over the dog is very helpful. I always tell folks to let Bat-dog approach them and don't make eye contact. It puts her at ease and let's her know it's her choice whether to make contact or not.

Folks like you make it much easier to teach Bat-dog that people are good.

I don’t know how I feel about the kneeling down, I know you’re tall and you don’t want to lean over but when you kneel down you’re getting eye level with the dog which makes it easier to make eye contact which is a no no, also you’re putting your face I. The striking zone, so god forbid that dog bit you it’s going to be in the face or neck. I totally agree with letting the dog approach you and not the other way around, this way the dogs is making the decision to interact with you and doesn’t feel cornered or threatened. Let them sniff you before reaching and don’t pet them on the top of the head but rather gently under the chin.

I have a rule that my dogs are not allowed to approach people without my say so, so if I’m out and about and I stop to talk to someone I expect them to remain relaxed at my side and only if I tell them to say hello are they allowed to go up to people. I do this because I don’t want people to get scared and I want my dogs to know them I’m in control of the situation. I also, don’t force them to interact with people if they don’t want to, so for example if you say Can I pet your dog, I say sure and tell my dog to say hello, if they go up to the person great, if they choose to stay by my side that’s fine too.

* This post was edited 06/13/19 09:47pm by Control_Freak *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Camping with Dobermans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS