|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> storing power cord on new f'ver

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I simply push up or down on my rocker switch to extend or retrieve my factory built in SO cord. I also have a separate one as pictured if needed that coils into a small circle that fits into whatever nook or cranny available.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I simply push up or down on my rocker switch to extend or retrieve my factory built in SO cord. I also have a separate one as pictured if needed that coils into a small circle that fits into whatever nook or cranny available.

I am jealous Ron, After five years of having the electric cord reel the new Redwood does not have one. The folks in engineering simply said there was nowhere in the back end of the trailer to place one, so I’m back to the anaconda ....

I still have all of the information that you have posted over the years about making your own flexible cord, that’s on my short to do list

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am jealous Ron, After five years of having the electric cord reel the new Redwood does not have one. The folks in engineering simply said there was nowhere in the back end of the trailer to place one, so I’m back to the anaconda ....

I still have all of the information that you have posted over the years about making your own flexible cord, that’s on my short to do list

It is a great improvement, we currently full time, BUT we also vacation without the RV. We do like Cruising, so we need to store 5er for a time with everything stored in it.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tartan camper

Canandaigua, New York

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a manual air hose reel from Harbor Freight ($20.00), mounted it to a piece of 1 x 6 lumber and roll my BIG 50A cord on it, then store it inside the basement. I have a couple of small bungee cords that hold the end of the cord in place while I roll it up. A lot cheaper than an electric reel and it works very well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=hose%20reel

Backpack to fiver...and everything in between. What a life!
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax, Allison 6-speed
18k Superglide

SailingOn

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig came with three 20# propane bottles in the propane compartment, one behind the other two. On most trips (warm, no furnace use) one 20# bottle lasts months.
I leave one at home.
The sewer hose goes in the empty space, and the 50 amp shore cable.
When I was looping the cable into the pass-through, it was always catching on something, or something I needed would be underneath. I walled off a compartment for it, but that was space inefficient.

Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
AJ: 2010 F150 ExtCab, 2WD, 6.5' bed, 5.4L V8, 6A, Max Tow: 2030# payload.
AD5GR

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was lucky I was given the 100’ temp power box cord shown in pic. I used part of it to power my RV pad 50A outlet and the rest to make my extension cord shown.

Yea that would suck not having the cord reel!

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Learjet wrote:

I grab one end of the cord....then the other...drag those to the storage and place the ends in the compartment first...then pile the rest on top. Always the last in and first out. Works for me [emoticon]

Funny but that is basically what I do. I just put the cord in last on top of everything else. No need to coil it or spool it or put in a bucket! It's not that complicated.
Just toss it on top at the end of a trip and pull it out 1st at the beginning of a trip

I guess you and Learjet never boondock, where you don't need the cord but need stuff under it. [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Learjet wrote:

I grab one end of the cord....then the other...drag those to the storage and place the ends in the compartment first...then pile the rest on top. Always the last in and first out. Works for me [emoticon]

Funny but that is basically what I do. I just put the cord in last on top of everything else. No need to coil it or spool it or put in a bucket! It's not that complicated.
Just toss it on top at the end of a trip and pull it out 1st at the beginning of a trip

I guess you and Learjet never boondock, where you don't need the cord but need stuff under it. [emoticon]

Lyle

Correct I don't boondock often, but on the rare occasion when I do I just move cord out of the way by tossing it on the ground!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 30 amp cord with an extension and a 50 amp cord with an extension also. I coil the 50 amp and extension into the smallest coil I can and then put them in a plastic bin on end.That's the two cords plus adapters in the bin. The 30 amp cords get rolled on my arm and then placed in an open space in the basement. We boondock and use campgrounds so We carry a lot of stuff in the basement and front compartment of the 5er. My problem is getting the 50 amp cord and extension apart after using them.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Milk Crate for 50A.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> storing power cord on new f'ver
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS