|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Older Dog and Night time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs defintely shows the signs of aging mentally. They can get disoriented at night, especially if they do not see very well. Don't be surprised by it.

I took my last Border Collie backpacking when she was 16. She had some aging issues for sure.

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rightlaneonly wrote:

gbopp wrote:

1995brave wrote:

She could be sensing something wrong with you, like the start of cancer from smoking or some other issue starting up.

Excellent point!

Don't ignore that. Been seeing just that on "Animal Miracles" where animals sense illnesses in humans.

While I'm not discounting any ideas, I do not think this is it.

I'm a 5.5 year cancer survivor and see my Oncologist every 6 months for extensive blood work.

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be getting Macy into see our Vet this week to have her checked out. After reading what Dr. Doug suggested, I've been doing some research and she seems to fit a lot of what is described. Lately, I've noticed her stopping and just standing as if she's lost and doesn't know where she is. When this happens, even calling her name does not get her to even look your way. Usually, she has no problem with hearing and can hear me open "Their Cabinet" and comes out looking for a treat. :-)

Another thing that has been happening is when I start to let them out, she will stand in our Dinning Room, it's almost like she's not sure what to do. I'll stand there and call her sometimes she'll come out on her own but other times I have to go in and help her along. Whatever this is has been slowly coming on for sometime but we have not put it all together until now.

Hopefully our Vet can shed some light on what is going on and help her be more comfortable. We rescued her shortly after I had back surgery in 2005 but I always say, she's the one that rescued me!

Thanks again for all of your caring replies, I'll post again once we see the Vet.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TugCE, I'm so sorry. We had all the same symptoms in our beautiful Lab, Maggie. We just chalked it up to old age, but not "the end". To this day, and it's only been 2 1/2 months since she passed, we wish she was still with us and ageless. Please keep us posted. We're here for you.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had 5 dogs that I raised from puppyhood since I became an adult. Every single one of them would come to me when something was wrong with them. My first would come to me acting worried about a minute before he had a seizure (he outgrew them). Another all but drug herself up the stairs when she was losing the feeling in her rear legs (no hint that anything was wrong before that moment....and I REALLY watch my dogs' health). So while it may be something else, she may be coming to the Pack Leader for comfort. Be sure she gets it in spades.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Older Dog and Night time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS