RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Why 4.1 axle?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why 4.1 axle?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Say you are in the ratings but that includes 12% max grade and you need to go up 20%+ grade? Must you reduce the load or can you re-gear to make that last mile? Is that still in the rating?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

IMHO....many times the weak link is the human making these decisions... [emoticon]

LOL. Once I told a driver if dispatch told him to load for a certain job not to take over 22 tons. He watched me load 30 for the same job. When he loaded he put on 28, about all he could scale. Of course, the power divider could not take the stress. He did not understand, number 1 when snot breaks no matter which truck, the repair cost came out of my pocket, and 2nd, The old Pete I was driving was on 5.56s his LTL still had the 3.90s. He witched about how long it was taking to get it fixed after I towed it in. About 4 on afternoon a driver asked for a job. By 9, I had both rearends changed to 4.44s, truck ready to work next day.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Say you are in the ratings but that includes 12% max grade and you need to go up 20%+ grade? Must you reduce the load or can you re-gear to make that last mile? Is that still in the rating?

No, the 20% is not in the rating.

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

mich800 wrote:

Half tons are included. And cafe are not measured towing trailers. I think we are staring to lose sight of the forest. I would love for the manufactures to build one off vehicles that met the spec for every individual driver. But that is not possible so the compromise of meeting government mandates and consumer wants occurs.
How hard is that to have optional gear ratios? Customer pays the extra cost...

Since Time asked this question, it now identifies his knowledge of the automobile manufacturing business and provides context to his Tesla comments.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2014 Express 3500 (Code named "BIG ED" by daughters)
previous 2011 Silverado 2500HD CC (6.0, 3.73)
prior 2001 Yukon XL (8.1L, 4.10)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS
previous - 2002 Dutchmen 31BH4DSL

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Since Time asked this question, it now identifies his knowledge of the automobile manufacturing business and provides context to his Tesla comments.
I am a real estate accountant. Nothing else. No relation to any manufacturing.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good thing is that for about $1,000 per axle you can have about any ratio you want.
Just seems lower cost to have it built at the factory as you want it so as to not pay twice.

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMMY034 wrote:

For starters, if you're planning on buying new, they only offer the 3.73 on the Duramax equipped trucks, and the 4.10 is the only option for the trucks with the 6.0. I'm not sure when this started, but I know it's true of the 2500HD for years '17, '18 and '19. Otherwise, if you're looking at used, read on...

GM had the 3.73 in the Duramax from day one (2001). It was never offered with a different ratio in the 3/4 or 1 ton.

Loved mine until the second time the injectors gave me trouble.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Legend quotes Hank as saying "You can have your "T" any color you want as long as it is black"

time2roll wrote:

I am a real estate accountant. Nothing else. No relation to any manufacturing.

Back in the early '60 the grade school classes would tours thru the local auto plants. (which ring of is your future?) A lot of time has passed, and a lot of that time I suffered (enjoyed?) smoke inhalation. But I still have a idea how a assembly line works. Parts coming in on trucks and trains from all over the world to meet in just the right place to roll off the line one every few seconds.

time2roll wrote:

The good thing is that for about $1,000 per axle you can have about any ratio you want.
Just seems lower cost to have it built at the factory as you want it so as to not pay twice.

Knowing what I know, and adding what I can imagine I can see how if somebody ordered a different ratio it would not cost much to set up that gearset, but all the other changes needed could get pretty high. The cost to get it blended into the stream at just the right time might also be high. Then add the possible cost of say the special speedometer gears and and rearend wound up on separate vehicles???

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I don't how to get this idea between your ears. You say If in ratings you will not over stress things. This is true! No disagreement from me. The OP asks why 4.1. The point you act like you do not understand is Because the lower speed gears reduce stress on the rest of vehicle they can increase the ratings!
Still need to tow in the ratings to keep the stresses at acceptable level, but the ratings are higher.

The OP never suggested he was going to run over the limits. You are the one who keeps going back to that assumption. I covered that in my original response.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Knowing what I know, and adding what I can imagine I can see how if somebody ordered a different ratio it would not cost much to set up that gearset, but all the other changes needed could get pretty high. The cost to get it blended into the stream at just the right time might also be high. Then add the possible cost of say the special speedometer gears and and rearend wound up on separate vehicles???
For many years optional ratios were offered and all seemed to work out. Yes in the old days it was a small gear swap at the end of the speedo cable as it entered the transmission tailhousing. My 2001 required a reprogramming of the vehicle computer. I understand now the speedo runs off the ABS tone ring in the differential so the axle speed signals the speedo and the ratio does not matter. Larger tires might require a reprogram.

I don't see any issue to install different geared axles as the trucks roll down the line. Make mine 4.30/4.88 [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why 4.1 axle?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS