RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Microair vs Hyper Engineering?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Microair vs Hyper Engineering?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GordonThree

Northern Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 05/19/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 12:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was considering the LC2400 model, which offers 2400 volt amps on a 20a circuit.

It's not the full 3600va of the Hughes or Sola.

From the load panel on my unit it should work, based on FLA of the compressor and blower.


2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

SpeakEasy

Western New York

Senior Member

Joined: 04/22/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't comment on the Hyper Engineering product, but I'll throw this into the analysis: customer service. The folks at Micro Air are super to work with. Very customer-service oriented. They'll answer all your questions quickly and in a helpful, friendly way. If that matters to you. It does to me.

-Speak


It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!



2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB


2oldman

Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

The Honda's inverter programming seems to handle surges better in general, faster to bring up the throttle maybe?
Mine do fine.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

The Sola Basic is 4000 VA, so the perfect size for a 30 amp RV. It has 3 levels of boost, and one of buck. It has no surge protection, but it is easy to add some. It is easy to adjust the boost levels.

The only fly in the ointment is getting one. A wonderful RV'er transported one for me to Canada.

The LC2400 has 2 levels of boost and one of buck. Cost is about $300 Cdn on Amazon Canada.

GordonThree wrote:

I was considering the LC2400 model, which offers 2400 volt amps on a 20a circuit.

It's not the full 3600va of the Hughes or Sola.



Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 05/19/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

The Sola Basic is 4000 VA, so the perfect size for a 30 amp RV. It has 3 levels of boost, and one of buck. It has no surge protection, but it is easy to add some. It is easy to adjust the boost levels.

The only fly in the ointment is getting one. A wonderful RV'er transported one for me to Canada.

The LC2400 has 2 levels of boost and one of buck. Cost is about $300 Cdn on Amazon Canada.

GordonThree wrote:

I was considering the LC2400 model, which offers 2400 volt amps on a 20a circuit.

It's not the full 3600va of the Hughes or Sola.


I'd surely be happy with more volt-amps but curious if 2400 is enough. For me the unit is $200 USD through Amazon, with free overnight delivery.

Looking at the Hughes, it seems to only have one level of boost, and no buck?

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 05/19/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

Can't comment on the Hyper Engineering product, but I'll throw this into the analysis: customer service. The folks at Micro Air are super to work with. Very customer-service oriented. They'll answer all your questions quickly and in a helpful, friendly way. If that matters to you. It does to me.

-Speak


Very good point. I think the popularity and customer service aspect is worth the extra cost.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

Senior Member

Joined: 04/22/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

SpeakEasy wrote:

Can't comment on the Hyper Engineering product, but I'll throw this into the analysis: customer service. The folks at Micro Air are super to work with. Very customer-service oriented. They'll answer all your questions quickly and in a helpful, friendly way. If that matters to you. It does to me.

-Speak


Very good point. I think the popularity and customer service aspect is worth the extra cost.


A year or so ago there was a discount code available if you went to Micro Air through the Gone with the Wynns blog website. Might have been a $25 coupon, if I remember correctly.

(Act fast before the mods remove this post for soliciting. Even though I have no skin in the game.)

-Speak

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi GordonThree,

If I remember correctly, Hughes does a tiny boost (such as 116 to 118). Then a further 10% boost when input voltage drops below 113. It continues to boost 10% right down to 90 volts. There is no buck.

I don't think buck is too necessary unless you are heading to Mexico.

I have tweaked my Sola Basic to cut in about 3 volts higher than the OEM 110, 100, and 90. I may be trying it with my Yamaha generator on 2019 06 21.

GordonThree wrote:

Looking at the Hughes, it seems to only have one level of boost, and no buck?


3 tons

CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/16/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Easy OR Sure start can certainly help, yet their can be other variables, such as Ambient temperature, elevation, whether or not in the ‘eco’ mode, and age of unit...

My neighbor and I have the exact same Coleman 11 kbtu Mach 1 P.S. but his is new and mine is 10 years old...His uses about 2amps less than mine...

This is why after beginning with the easy start, I now prefer the Autoformer which makes the unit operate in eco without a hitch...

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/16/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons,

If I were to start over I would not bother with the Easy or Sure. I'd just use the autoformer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Microair vs Hyper Engineering?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS