RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Length and Height

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Length and Height

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/23/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tem3000 wrote:

Hi all, first post here.

I'm looking to buy a used 5er, gussy it up, and hit the road later this year. I've been lurking here and elsewhere for ages to be as prepared as I can, but there's one question I still have.

I'm a relatively short guy so I'm not worried about the height in the bedroom, but I am concerned about having as much sense of space as possible in the rig since I'll be travelling for extended periods.

My question then is what manufacturers tend to have not just high interiors but the most level roof lines. So far, I've been looking at Alfa's from 2000-2008 or so because they seem to have the highest ceilings, the tallest slides, and a roof line that looks straight/flat all the way from the front of the bedroom to the very back. Anyone out there have or know of an Alfa that can confirm this?

Since that seems consistent across all Alfa's - at least during that period - I thought I'd check in here to see if people know of particular manufacturers that have a reputation for the same sort of things, high ceilings and level roof lines. I'm guessing not all manufacturers are as consistent as Alfa seems to be, but I thought I'd take a stab anyway!

I did a search for this topic on the forum and didn't find anything other than a thread about tall people and bedroom heights. If this is a duplicate, apologies and please point me to the thread!


FWIW, I'm 5'9" and have never felt "constricted" in my current mid-profile FW (KZ Durango 1500 277RLT). The fact that =I= need a stool to access a couple of the cabinets and can just barely reach the rear vent crank, should give you some idea of the height. I can fully stand in the bedroom almost all the way to the front. Where I =do= feel a little closed in is that we have a peninsula kitchen (which I really did NOT want, but SHE did) and lose some of the horizontal space that I was originally looking for. Compared to our old, low-profile Komfort, it's very spacious. DW actually quit sleeping in the bed (in the Komfort) because she has gotten more claustrophobic over the years and it really bugged her, so she slept on the couch. Never bothered me sleeping, only in having to crawl around when making the bed. THAT was a chore.

My best advice is to hit lots and lots of dealers and look at their used stock and see what you like and what you don't.

Lyle

* This post was edited 10/23/19 02:14pm by laknox *


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

TxGearhead

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/23/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP hasn't posted since June.


2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

tem3000

01854

New Member

Joined: 06/15/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/23/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for the radio silence, folks. Everyone's contributions have been so, so helpful. While we haven't been for RV marital counseling (very good point, TxGearhead.), figuring out what we both want to do is turning out to be more useful than me finding some compromise that would make him grudgingly go along.

That said, I have managed to bring him to see different rv's. We haven't hit a mega one like Camper's World yet because I think it would overwhelm him and have the opposite effect from what I want. But for some reason, somehow, he's become intrigued by 5th wheels. If I talk about *actually* spending time long-term, or *actually* making a purchase, he closes down the conversation. But then he'll start calling out things he might theoretically like as we simultaneously surf on the sofa. He's become fascinated with ultralites, for example, and what the pros and cons are to different layouts.

A large part is that I have some understanding and vocabulary to keep the conversation going, and I thank you all for that. Learning about profiles, for example, and so much else.

This has me thinking about how, if two people decide to buy a 5th wheel or rv of any sort, inevitably one person will be more hesitant than the other. Or very often, at least. So I'm sure a lot of convincing goes on to make the other person more likely to go along. And it may be that the good or bad expectations don't match the reality of long-term traveling, and either one or both spouses unexpectedly falls in or out of love with the whole adventure. (Wife feeling claustrophobic and sleeping on the sofa isn't a perfect example, but it illustrates how the phenomenon can happen.)

So nothing is a guarantee when two people start out on something like this. I don't mean to switch the topic of the thread, but I'd love to hear how or if others have experienced coaxing a reluctant spouse to get in the 5th wheel/trailer world with or without final success. If so, what did the trick? Or what failed to work?

(Good Lord, this is a long post. It may break the internet. Thank you for reading this far.)

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

Senior Member

Joined: 01/19/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/23/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my wife and I, it was about going into a 5th wheel with the same expectations so that either we were both going to be happy or both be unhappy. We had discussed it for a few years before actually pulling the trigger. We both enjoyed going to RV shows and seeing many dealers/manufacturers in one place.


Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker


colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 10/23/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still think renting a RV would be a good idea to see if both of you like the lifestyle. He might really enjoy it. You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Pick a destination that you would both enjoy going to.

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/24/19 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tem3000 wrote:

Sorry for the radio silence, folks. Everyone's contributions have been so, so helpful. While we haven't been for RV marital counseling (very good point, TxGearhead.), figuring out what we both want to do is turning out to be more useful than me finding some compromise that would make him grudgingly go along.

That said, I have managed to bring him to see different rv's. We haven't hit a mega one like Camper's World yet because I think it would overwhelm him and have the opposite effect from what I want. But for some reason, somehow, he's become intrigued by 5th wheels. If I talk about *actually* spending time long-term, or *actually* making a purchase, he closes down the conversation. But then he'll start calling out things he might theoretically like as we simultaneously surf on the sofa. He's become fascinated with ultralites, for example, and what the pros and cons are to different layouts.

A large part is that I have some understanding and vocabulary to keep the conversation going, and I thank you all for that. Learning about profiles, for example, and so much else.

This has me thinking about how, if two people decide to buy a 5th wheel or rv of any sort, inevitably one person will be more hesitant than the other. Or very often, at least. So I'm sure a lot of convincing goes on to make the other person more likely to go along. And it may be that the good or bad expectations don't match the reality of long-term traveling, and either one or both spouses unexpectedly falls in or out of love with the whole adventure. (Wife feeling claustrophobic and sleeping on the sofa isn't a perfect example, but it illustrates how the phenomenon can happen.)

So nothing is a guarantee when two people start out on something like this. I don't mean to switch the topic of the thread, but I'd love to hear how or if others have experienced coaxing a reluctant spouse to get in the 5th wheel/trailer world with or without final success. If so, what did the trick? Or what failed to work?

(Good Lord, this is a long post. It may break the internet. Thank you for reading this far.)


Here's a suggestion for you. YOU make up a list with 4 categories; Must-Haves, Be-nice-to-haves, Can-do-withouts, and Absolutely Nots. Ask your DH to do the same. Take the time to do this =seriously= and do them completely separately. Give yourselves a reasonable time, but don't leave it open-ended; say 30 days. Swap lists and see how you compare.

My own experience had me shopping for over 2 years as I was trying to get my old FW sold, first, but I was also comparing everything I could find that fit my most basic parameters. I had narrowed my selection down to 2 units. A KZ was my #1 choice and a very similar (like 90+% similar) Jayco was my #2 choice. I wasn't prepared to travel nearly 800 miles one-way to the closest KZ model that I could find, so had to make do with pictures until I got the old rig sold. There is a large Jayco dealer near us, so I took my wife to look at the particular rig I had in mind. As soon as we walked into it, she said, "wow, this is really nice, but where's the pantry." DOH! Never even occurred to me, as it had so much more storage that I didn't figure we'd need one. I never did get to look at the comparable KZ since it, too, didn't have a dedicated pantry. I still preferred KZ over Jayco for several reasons so, when a dealer not too far from us had something similar to at least look at, we drove an hour to check it out. DW says as we step in, "wow, this is =really= nice and I love the peninsula counter and sink." OK, so I knew which one we were going to get, at that point. [emoticon] That, and the fact that the dealership's owner wanted it gone off his lot since it'd been sitting there most of a year, it was a no-brainer.

Only other piece of advice I can give you is to use Camping World for "window shopping" and, when it comes to buying, go out of state if you have to to avoid dealing with them. IMO, they make used car salesmen look good.

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/24/19 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I still think renting a RV would be a good idea to see if both of you like the lifestyle. He might really enjoy it. You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Pick a destination that you would both enjoy going to.


^^^^^X2!

Lyle

tem3000

01854

New Member

Joined: 06/15/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/24/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to confess, I've been on the fence about a test trip, but my logic may be faulty. Since we don't have a truck yet (admitted, towing experience is limited so there's a learning curve there), we'd likely be in a motor home. I haven't been in newer ones but my memory is that the bowling alley factor may be a bit too high for him. I know it would be testing the lifestyle, not the vehicle, but I'd hate for him to decide the whole thing's not for him on the basis of a trip in something that feels cramped to him. Feels risky. On the other hand, the potential is for him to get used to the size quickly, and enjoy being on the road. It' fall here in New England, and it's beautiful, as always.

Lyle, that's a great suggestion. I think he's just intrigued enough to be good with that exercise. I'll propose it. Stay tuned.

This is so helpful. You all rock. If this is what the rv community is like, I have a lot to look forward to.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

Senior Member

Joined: 01/19/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/24/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Units with multiple slides have come a long way to eliminating a bowling alley feel.

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/24/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tem3000 wrote:

I have to confess, I've been on the fence about a test trip, but my logic may be faulty. Since we don't have a truck yet (admitted, towing experience is limited so there's a learning curve there), we'd likely be in a motor home. I haven't been in newer ones but my memory is that the bowling alley factor may be a bit too high for him. I know it would be testing the lifestyle, not the vehicle, but I'd hate for him to decide the whole thing's not for him on the basis of a trip in something that feels cramped to him. Feels risky. On the other hand, the potential is for him to get used to the size quickly, and enjoy being on the road. It' fall here in New England, and it's beautiful, as always.

Lyle, that's a great suggestion. I think he's just intrigued enough to be good with that exercise. I'll propose it. Stay tuned.

This is so helpful. You all rock. If this is what the rv community is like, I have a lot to look forward to.


There are a few threads here, and on other fora, where people have posted their must-haves, etc.

An example of my must-haves is auto-level! [emoticon] Won't have another rig without it, assuming I live long enough to buy another one.

An example of an absolutely-not from my list, and that's the idiotic flip up steps that most mfrs are putting on their rigs, starting last year. For me, I would not be able to access the interior of my rig without 1) taking my truck to where it's stored (11 miles one way), 2) putting my FW hitch in my truck (not mounted when not towing), 3) hooking it up and moving it out about 30', then back, and 4) removing the hitch. Yes, I could park it in such a way that I could drop the steps, but then the street-side slide would only be able to be extended about 12", barely enough for us to get to the rear area. As it is with my old-school steps, I can fully extend all 3 slides and be able to squeeze by on both sides.

Lyle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Length and Height
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS