|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Fridge on propane while driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the RV doctor and the guy from tv education 101 say leave it off. I was on the fire dept for 30 years and fought several rv fires that started in the back of the fridge because they thought it would never happen to them. come to my town and see the new rebuilt gas station we have because of a motor home fridge was left on and he gassed up and burned the place down and a ups truck refueling next to him. there are some tunnels back east that tell you to turn off your propane when going through the tunnel. must be a good reason for that, right?? In my mind there are a lot of people who think it's ok because they have gotten away with it for years. their turn is coming. Murphy will see to that. I use freezable ice packs to put int he fridge between the food when I travel and at night when sleeping I refreeze the packs for the next travel day

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have ran it for years and many miles. As you can see everyone has a opinion on it. Some folks replace bearings every year, some don't use their bathrooms, and some folks only cook outside. Just do what you feel comfortable with. Take from all the replies what you would like.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I not only run the refer on propane when on the road, in cold weather I also run the furnace.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

I am the RV doctor and the guy from tv education 101 say leave it off. I was on the fire dept for 30 years and fought several rv fires that started in the back of the fridge because they thought it would never happen to them. come to my town and see the new rebuilt gas station we have because of a motor home fridge was left on and he gassed up and burned the place down and a ups truck refueling next to him. there are some tunnels back east that tell you to turn off your propane when going through the tunnel. must be a good reason for that, right?? In my mind there are a lot of people who think it's ok because they have gotten away with it for years. their turn is coming. Murphy will see to that. I use freezable ice packs to put int he fridge between the food when I travel and at night when sleeping I refreeze the packs for the next travel day

I rarely ever post here anymore because of all the jackarses but this kind of stuff needs to be responded to.

First, in an accident when the PP lines are ruptured, the tanks will shut the flow OFF.
Second, I have TWO career fireman living in my neighbor hood. One is a retired Captain and the other is currently a Commander. I talked to both of them in depth about this subject and in their combinded 60+ years of experience, they had NEVER seen an RV fire caused by a fridge. Many eng fires that burned rigs to the ground but NO FRIDGES.
Third, RV fridge fires were caused by manufacturing defect MORE THAN TEN YEARS AGO. Unless you have one of those fridges and have refused to get the FREE safety recall done, your chances of having a fridge fire are astronomical.
Finally, tunnels, ferrys, etc want people to turn of the propane period. This has nothing to do with RV fridges at all.

Now you can flame me all you want, I have no respect for you because of the outdated and made-up nonsense you spread but folks need to know the truth.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always traveled with the fridge on and if I need it the furnace too. Sure there may be a risk but there is a risk to just travel on the road! There is a risk to be alive.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 12:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was a danger to run the fridge on propane while in transit I sure do not want to run it when parked and sleeping [emoticon]

For those concerned......
Read up on all the built in safety features in RV Propane Systems
Then read up on the safety features on your vehicle fuel system

(Hint: Vehicle safety features will be a short read)

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 01:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And all you will get is "opposing opinions" in this subject.. I've been here way too long and the most "heated" debates besides "payload" is "running the fridge on propane" while traveling! ha, ha! [emoticon]

In the end, all you can do is what you feel comfortable with and go from there.

I run my fridge while traveling just to put that out there. What you do when you re-fuel is also up to you too..

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 02:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG = smart man and speaks the truth.
Never knew there was so much paranoia in the world and people spreading it...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

old guy wrote:

I rarely ever post here anymore because of all the jackarses but this kind of stuff needs to be responded to.

First, in an accident when the PP lines are ruptured, the tanks will shut the flow OFF.
Second, I have TWO career fireman living in my neighbor hood. One is a retired Captain and the other is currently a Commander. I talked to both of them in depth about this subject and in their combinded 60+ years of experience, they had NEVER seen an RV fire caused by a fridge. Many eng fires that burned rigs to the ground but NO FRIDGES.
Third, RV fridge fires were caused by manufacturing defect MORE THAN TEN YEARS AGO. Unless you have one of those fridges and have refused to get the FREE safety recall done, your chances of having a fridge fire are astronomical.
Finally, tunnels, ferrys, etc want people to turn of the propane period. This has nothing to do with RV fridges at all.

Now you can flame me all you want, I have no respect for you because of the outdated and made-up nonsense you spread but folks need to know the truth.

Scott...thanks for this post! No flame from me, and I have noticed that you have not been posting as often. Hope you reconsider, you have much knowledge to share, and are very helpful, to many members, especially newcomers, that appreciate your respect given them.

Jerry

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I took the AEON insurance Safe Driving course the insurance company naturally said "TURN OFF PROPANE AT THE TANK".. I do understand why.

That said.. IN MY OPINION (Feel free to disagree) the risk is very slight.

NOW: One risk is the famous fridge fire... I would much rather have it happen on the road where other drivers can avoid than I would packed into an FMCA rally like sardines in a can and burn down 2 or 3 neighbors RV's before Fire can get there to extinguish.

Plus modern fridges.. Well it's harder to get 'em to burn (Still possible though).. Engine fires are more common on RV's. Last "RV" Fire I saw was a TT. The Truck burned (Smoke damage to external of trailer only).

But.. You have to make your own choice... My opinion and now days around 2.50 will get you a cup of coffee (remember when it was 0.25? or even 0.10 (Kresgee back in the 70s was a dime a cup).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Fridge on propane while driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS