RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Do airbags help?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Do airbags help?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Snomas

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pulling a 22 ft TT for the 1st time w/my 2018 F150 2 rear WD. I have a Anderson WDH. Has anyone added air bags to their truck and does it help that much. I have to really tighten the chains to bring the rear end of the truck up so the front end comes down and doesn't float when towing.

2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, 5.0 L V8, RWD.
2019 Flagstaff micro mini 21DS
Anderson WDH

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air bags don't transfer weight to the front. They'll stiffen the rear but that still doesn't change the dynamics any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg&feature=youtu.be

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its going to be one heck of a rough ride with airbags, especially if you pump them up to raise the rear end more than 2" or so.

Be better to remove tongue weight from the trailer.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I have to really tighten the chains to bring the rear end of the truck up so the front end comes down and doesn't float when towing.”

I believe you are seeking to be level for looks. And TV’s your payload is? Must be a very light duty F150. Air bags won’t increase your payload. “Shifting” weight doesn’t increase payload either.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are overloaded, air bags won't change that.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS

Bob/Olallawa

Kitsap Co, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really need to have the right hitch componets for the weight and know how much you are really transfering back to the front of the tow rig. Air bags mostly cause more problems than they do good. You have to set them up before hitch set up is done.

Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air bags will help overall. However I wouldn't depend on the bags to transfer weight. Bags can lesson rear spring compression and rebound

I pull a 10k car hauler with a 7400 lb blue tractor with the wifes 1500 chevy. I went with Sumo springs which helps stiffen up the rear spring pack. What I like about the Sumo is I can remove them in about 3 min when I don't need them for a stock ride. I thought about bags but for my use 6-7 times a year didn't make cents/sense for me.
My Husky Centerline TS WD hitch brings the trucks front down to normal ride height.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 01:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How are you setting your WD bars on the trailer? Do you just plop the tongue on and then try to set the WD bars, or do you plop the tongue on and then LIFT it up with the tongue jack to get the weight off the hitch and then set the bars?

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 01:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford manual says to return the FRONT to 1/2 as much as it changed before and after the trailer is on the ball. If the rear is then sagged too much, add additional spring to the rear (air bags for example) to return the rear to a reasonable height.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The chains are supposed to be tight. How much are you compressing the urethane bushing? Should be about 1/4” or so, if I remember correctly. I raise the tongue and truck with the jack to make it easy to adjust the tension nut. I have about 600# on the tongue and have no problem returning the front end to spec.
Do you know the tongue weight?

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Do airbags help?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS