|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Advice for first time RV rental and experience

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ascanio1

Napoli

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Hunting would probably be a no go, but there are many gun ranges including indoors in the cities where you can rent a gun and do some target practice.
Target practice is not my ideal recreational use of firearms. It has been my dream for ever to hunt in the US. After a few posts here informing me that hunting would be a no go, I researched. I found many companies that offer hunting trips/holidays. I might take a day off, during the trip, if I can find such an organized trip, nearby to our destinations.

In Europe we are told that Americans are giving up on their firearms rights. Too bad for you. You have no idea how good you have it over there, especially regarding firearms and individual freedoms.

My daughter had her toy water pistol confiscated at school and we were reported to the Jouvenile Court for moral evaluation. Thank goodness the Judge just gave us a warning.

Trust me, once you start giving up on a liberty, any liberty, there is no end to how far that constraint will go.

I want my daughter to experience the freedom of RV. The freedom to move around and not be tied to a location for her holidays. I think that, perhaps, at least subcontiously, an RV holiday represents for me your American values of freedom.

Sorry for this OT and let me know if I am disturbing the forum.

ascanio1

Napoli

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CharlesinGA wrote:

Few Class C's are set up for six, and both of the kids will be required by law in most states to be in car seats.
We are planning to buy two very simple infant car cushions to raise their waiste level so that they can use normal seatbelts.

CharlesinGA wrote:

There are smaller rental companies and even individuals that own several motorhomes to rent, but you need the security of a well maintained motorhome and a company that can resolve problems should they arise.
We were directed to some companies like this one that offer both roadside support and insurance, on privately owned RVs. It seems pretty safe and reliable to me, do you have different experiences?

CharlesinGA wrote:

Spend some evenings reading up on the national parks on their web sites, and elsewhere, and watch some good Youtube videos of some of these parks to see what it is like to visit them and get an idea of time. I highly suggest, since we are talking small children, watching Less Junk, More Journey and their National Park videos. They have several playlists of videos and one is of their various National Park visits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1tVkUkf........&list=PLsbCfw4A0PRpFgUEpkqt6w12XaBt6yxE9
Thanks Charles, we have been watching many youtube videos but this one had not come up. We will watch them. We are also reading a lot and this forum, too, is being extremely helpful.

CharlesinGA wrote:

Lots of good online info to allow you to plan a doable trip that will not wear you out. You need at least one day a week to take a break and reset, do laundry, etc. Plan on limiting your trip, there is always another year to come and visit. Charles
You are absolutely right. There will always be another year to complete the experience!

Thank you Charles!

ascanio1

Napoli

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a post! Thank you for your time and expertise that were, both, very much appreciated and useful. I will not quote the whole post to save space but I have copied it and kept it in our travel notepad.

richardcoxid wrote:

YNP is BIG!, about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The “figure 8 grand loop” road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.
[emoticon]

richardcoxid wrote:

Except those who by their own stupidity step off the board walks into BOILING HOT water and ignoring the warnings about the WILD ANIMALS! That is called purifying the gene pool!
LOL! [emoticon] Darwin award winners!

Wow, Richard, thank you again for your precious advice and experience. It will save us time and anxiety and will allow us to make the best use of our time!

richardcoxid

Idaho Falls, ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know the more that I think about your planed trip that with all the “NEW/DIFFERENT/CUSTOMS/LAWS” etc and the DISTANCES between MAJOR attractions that for the first time you should limit your trip to only two major destinations and then use two Airline arrival/departure locations. Then rent a Air B@B, bed and Breakfast close to your major destinations.

Example- Fly into LAX or Salt Lake City, UT rent a car there and drive to West Yellowstone, MT (6-7 hr including lunch from SLC, add 9-10 hr from LAX) stay in a Air B&B, stay there 3-4 days, then drive to Jackson, WY to a Air B&B, stay there 3-4 days then drive to Grand Canyon, AZ to a Air B&B ( in Williams, AZ) for 2-3 days the return the car to Phoenix, AZ and fly out of there to return to Italy. That way with everything NEW in the US you would not have to worry about a RV. Remember that between getting up in the AM, packing, feeding baby, 6-8 hours driving, checking in, eating, un-packing will wind up taking a FULL day.

Now about a RV- They are just like a Hospital, absolutely no privacy and ALL modesty is out the window, especially for younger couples that want THEIR private personal time! Then you know about infants they require their “own” private personal time. Then there is the going to a un- familiar grocery store, shopping for un- familiar items going back to the RV and figuring out WHERE/HOW to store everything. How to dump the waste Tanks, fill with water, how do I level/stabilize it, are you sure that I can BACK this thing into THAT space! (this is after a 6 hour driving time turned into a 10 hour day after a flat tire)

Also in Y’Stone/Tetons when going from one thermal attraction to another PARKING the RV is another problem.

2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ascanio1 wrote:

I cannot see images because I am unable to correctly set my forum preferences. I cannot see what you posted.

bikendan wrote:

forget hunting and renting rifles. not going to happen, especially from California. the 2nd Amendment doesn't fly there.
[emoticon]
Very, very sad. What made America so great is your forefathers' foresight into liberty and freedom. When you will have become like Europe, it will be too late...

bikendan wrote:

my wife worked in the Napa Valley wineries and we have numerous friends and adopted nieces/nephews from Italy. saying you're from Naples explains a lot.
[emoticon]
She has a number of former co-workers from the Naples area.
we have stayed with them in Tuscany, Venice and Lake Como. my wife absolutely LOVES Italy!
Come visit our country. I will help with all you need!

We will be making a trip to Italy next year, my second trip there and her fourth.
As to our freedoms as Americans, we have plenty of European friends who think as you do. Unfortunately our media here, presents a totally opposite European viewpoint, that's held up as a gold standard for the world to emulate. Our European friends don't agree and wish they lived here.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi and welcome!

We have made several trips through the Western US and Canada in rented RVs. In fact, our first RV trip ever was in a rented Class C from Cruise America. It got us hooked.
Thousands of people from Europe do it every year. It is not difficult.

1) I believe you need not worry about your drivers license. As far as I am informed, you are good to go with a rented RV in the US. If unsure, clarify with the rental company before booking. The international license has never interested anyone in the 15+ times I have traveled there.

2) watch this orientation video by one of the big rental companies. They show it to every renter. It is good, basic info: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GKdr4Z1LBKY

3) The intimidating size of a small class C is not an issue on American roads. Plenty of space. But watch your height, especially trees on parking lots! It takes some time getting used to it.

4) The West is very wide. Very much unlike Europe. Plan less, and spend more time looking, hiking. Go to smaller locations, not just National Parks. There are many, many beautiful state parks. Traffic is not an issue out West, you can plan long driving legs. But don't drive too much. You are on vacation, there is no award for most-places-visited. Restaurants and gas stations can be hours apart. Fill up as soon as the tank is half empty. Have enough food supplies with you, there may be no restaurant available where you spend the night. You are there for the beauty of the land, not necessarily for the best food.

5) I agree that the children may be too small to enjoy the trip. If you take them along, plan according to their needs.

6) I have liked spring for traveling. But the earlier you go, the colder it gets. The south rim of Grand Canyon is at over 2000m elevation! Denver is called the Mile-High city. Many areas out west are pretty high up. Some important travel routes are closed in winter and open up as late as May. On the other hand, Death Valley in February was just ... nice.

7) The best rental company is the one that offers what you want, when you want it. There are a lot of special deals for one-way rentals at certain times of the year. It may make sense to fly into one city and return from another. In Germany, we have a travel agency called canusa.de, which specializes in this sort of travel. I would think Italy has something like it. For your first trip, maybe listen to their recommendations. In any case, there is only a handful of companies catering to international tourism, Cruise America probably being the biggest. I think two smallish class C RVs would work best for you. Also, that sector has the most offerings and the best prices.

Feel free to contact me via PM if you want to talk directly.

* This post was edited 07/14/19 05:47am by joerg68 *

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Advice for first time RV rental and experience
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.