RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Guess we found our new rig... Comments and thoughts?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Guess we found our new rig... Comments and thoughts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
garysol

Kalamazoo Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After a year hiatus from camping I think we have found our new to us rig. It is from a private seller. The deal is not finalized yet so I would love to hear your guys thoughts both pro and con on this model. It is a 2018 Kodiak Ultimate 288BHSL. It is in super clean condition and I can't find any signs of water intrusion or delamination. What really drew me to this camper was the Ground Control leveling system and 50a service with a 15k A/C unit. He is including the Recurve R3 hitch which I honestly have no experience with but it appears to have very good reviews. The only negative I could find on this camper is it looks like maybe at the dealership there were serial and unit numbers that were taped onto the front cap. When they pulled the tape it also pulled some clear coat off. I am thinking that can be spot fixed pretty easily but to be honest I am not 100% sure of that. The camper is priced several thousand below NADA low average so I feel pretty good about the price.

[image]

2018 Kodiak Ultimate 288BHSL
2017 Ram 2500 6.4
2016 Heritage Glen 263RL (sold)
2012 Komfort 3530 (sold)
2008 Keystone Sprinter (DOA)
014 Ram 3500 6.7 (sold)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice, congrats. [emoticon]

scarecrow56

palm bay, fl

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been looking at fiberglass skin TT's and I've come to the conclusion (MHO) that I won't buy one unless its over Azdel.I'm just too afraid of delamination if/when you get a leak. My current TT is a 20 year old Terry that got a leak in the front and I'm in the process of fixing it. That being said, the skin is aluminium and that wasnt affected. I just have to fix the inside and the leak source. If you get a delam it will be expensive. I don't see Kodiak on the Azdel list but it might be on it. Look inside the door latch and if you see a white panel, it's Azdel. MHO

Chillin' in the sun, Palm Bay, Fl.

garysol

Kalamazoo Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very fair comment. I am hoping that if I stay diligent on my maintenance i will stay ahead of any major issues. Its no guarantee I know but I really don't like the look or the work required to keep an aluminum sided camper looking good.

scarecrow56 wrote:

I have been looking at fiberglass skin TT's and I've come to the conclusion (MHO) that I won't buy one unless its over Azdel.

Vvvv1010

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great looking bunkhouse. Great colors and graphics.

2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it an optical illusion or does the tongue jack look retracted and the trailer is being held up by the stab jacks?

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

garysol

Kalamazoo Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are not stab jacks. The trailer has Ground Control auto leveling. The jacks are weight bearing. When you retract the front leveling jacks the tongue jack will lower first. I had this system on my 5th wheel and it worked very well.

CincyGus wrote:

Is it an optical illusion or does the tongue jack look retracted and the trailer is being held up by the stab jacks?

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garysol wrote:

They are not stab jacks. The trailer has Ground Control auto leveling. The jacks are weight bearing. When you retract the front leveling jacks the tongue jack will lower first. I had this system on my 5th wheel and it worked very well.

CincyGus wrote:

I love the LCI Ground Control on my Cougar. Much less arguing with the DW. Just park and tap the auto level button!

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, Learn something every day! They look very similar to my electric power stabilizer jacks. Didn't know there was a system like that. Very nice!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Guess we found our new rig... Comments and thoughts?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS