|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New - Buying a Tralier - No Clue What I'm Doing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dragging a travel trailer around the country is not a way so save money, it's a way to spend money.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVs are used in all kinds of ways. They can be expensive, fuel ineffecient, and expensive to park.

Or at the end of their lives, they can be cheap and parked and lived in full time by people with little money.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmw photos wrote:

Dragging a travel trailer around the country is not a way so save money, it's a way to spend money.

Yeah, but $3500 per month will go a long way toward the expenses of RV travel. That said, if the OP isn't crazy about traveling he'd be better off getting a house or apartment in some other part of the country; there are so many places where he could do that for less than $1000 per month. I have a friend who took a ministry position at a church in a small town about halfway between Tulsa and OKC, and he's renting a 3BR house set on an acre in the woods for $350... an anomaly, I'll admit, but the bargains are out there.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

gmw photos wrote:

Yeah, but $3500 per month will go a long way toward the expenses of RV travel. That said, if the OP isn't crazy about traveling he'd be better off getting a house or apartment in some other part of the country; there are so many places where he could do that for less than $1000 per month. I have a friend who took a ministry position at a church in a small town about halfway between Tulsa and OKC, and he's renting a 3BR house set on an acre in the woods for $350... an anomaly, I'll admit, but the bargains are out there.
If the only thing he has been exposed to is CA, then $3500 is his reality. You don't know what you don't know. He probably has no concept of how bad he is being screwed, and it's not just rent.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my mortgage is less than half that on a nice 3=1 2 bath with a pool.........
and I live in expensive Canada.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

big difference between pulling your camper to the campground and towing AND carrying ALL of your stuff. I don't know about you but I leave a ton of stuff at home when I go camping given its only temporary. If I was living out of my rig I would need way more than I bring and that's without all the extras to make being on the road long term possible. Tools alone would use a few hundred lbs as would the battery setup.

I see no way this is cheaper than a reasonable apartment in a reasonable part of the country

Apparently you travel a LOT heavier than I do. Realize too that the OP seems to be willing to stay in one place.

Wish he would come back and kick around all the ideas expressed, but I still think Workamping may be a good option for him. Spend a few hours a day doing chores leaving him time for his regular internet work- cuts out the biggest recurring expenses (site, utilities, gasoline).

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see NO way you could workcamp cheaper than rent an apartment. 1000 bucks a month is wasy to find. much less if you look. Heck across the river from me in Detroit houses can be BOUGHT by paying the back taxes. Good luck pricing that in an rv that you don't own while maintaining reliable internet and staying up with maintenance. rv payment alone will be near thet when you factor in how fast it will get trashed.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

Jebby14 wrote:

big difference between pulling your camper to the campground and towing AND carrying ALL of your stuff. I don't know about you but I leave a ton of stuff at home when I go camping given its only temporary. If I was living out of my rig I would need way more than I bring and that's without all the extras to make being on the road long term possible. Tools alone would use a few hundred lbs as would the battery setup.

I see no way this is cheaper than a reasonable apartment in a reasonable part of the country

Apparently you travel a LOT heavier than I do. Realize too that the OP seems to be willing to stay in one place.

Wish he would come back and kick around all the ideas expressed, but I still think Workamping may be a good option for him. Spend a few hours a day doing chores leaving him time for his regular internet work- cuts out the biggest recurring expenses (site, utilities, gasoline).
If he has to work two jobs to pay the rent (workcamping) then he is still a "RentSlave".

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

CFerguson wrote:

Jebby14 wrote:

If he has to work two jobs to pay the rent (workcamping) then he is still a "RentSlave".

Sometimes folks have to work more than 1 job (albeit even a part time one) to get what they want. Life can be unfair. I personally had to work 80 hours a week during crunch times and have lived my life emotionally scarred from the experience. (not)

I wish OP would come back and discuss some of our ideas so we could better tailor our responses.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New - Buying a Tralier - No Clue What I'm Doing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS