RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: It sure is complicated.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It sure is complicated.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been RVing for 45 years! Began with an Apache hard-sided pop-up and have run the gamut from that to our current 32' Class A! Everything we now know was learned either from a friendly fellow camper or through making the mistake we vowed not to repeat! We asked millions of questions, got millions of answers, and used what seemed important. Have always found that people who camp are willing to help, generally very friendly and willing to learn as well! The day either of us really believe 'we know all we need to know' is the day we put the rig up for sale!!! RVing is NOT the same as 'real camping' - that's too much like work for us! LOL There is nothing to be gained by passing judgment on others, but we do watch - and if it looks like we can help them learn from our mistakes, we share!

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just Do It.

irishtom29

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Just Do It.

Americans don't do things, they "get into" things. This is a nation where people change their clothes to ride a bicycle.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure some people over complicate things. But then again just peruse a few days of posts on these boards.

You got the engineers

you have got the weight police
you have got the Wal Mart police
Water hose, tire, truck rating, Diesel vs gas
Interstae /two lanes/
gun carry/ Oh MY God
Camp fire
Golf carts
scare lites
music
Dogs
Kids
and on and on and on.
I swear to God if I was someone just considering getting an RV, visiting this board would more than likely dissuade me from doing so.
The arrogance of some of these self appointed "experts" who believe their way is the correct way of doing things, and not only are the folks that do it differently are wrong, but they are the spawn of Satan and they and their descendants must be flushed from the dump stations of the world.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pitch,
Your arrogance is showing! [emoticon] [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Why does anyone even do it?

When I took delivery of my trailer, I failed to anticipate the parking lot exit and drove the right side off the curb. Now I am a "turning fool".

You can't learn from words or listening. You have to do it.

My sweetheart has learned to reduce our battery usage and I even heard her say, "we'll run the trailer this weekend like we had the batteries on Apollo 13". I was shocked that she actually learned they batteries are not unlimited.

After time, all the stuff that seems complex to you will be second nature.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But...

Not everyone is a basic handyman.
Some people can fix anything with a few simple tools.
Others don’t know how to hold a hammer.

My father was a maintenance mechanic, he taught me well.
My brother in law was an accountant like his father.
If he needs a hammer he has to borrow one.

Something always needs fixin.
Guess who didn’t even last a season.
It’s funny but sad.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 Retired wrote:

We have been RVing for 45 years! Began with an Apache hard-sided pop-up and have run the gamut from that to our current 32' Class A! Everything we now know was learned either from a friendly fellow camper or through making the mistake we vowed not to repeat! We asked millions of questions, got millions of answers, and used what seemed important. Have always found that people who camp are willing to help, generally very friendly and willing to learn as well! The day either of us really believe 'we know all we need to know' is the day we put the rig up for sale!!! RVing is NOT the same as 'real camping' - that's too much like work for us! LOL There is nothing to be gained by passing judgment on others, but we do watch - and if it looks like we can help them learn from our mistakes, we share!

Well I have enjoyed camping most of my life, so I must know what I need to know. But I am willing to learn from others. As for helping/teaching others, I often do. On the net, I might post what I know. In CG, or on the road, I may offer, depending on what the problem is. If you are having trouble parking, unless you ask you are on your own. I will stay out of your way, and try not to let you see me laughing. (If I see your Onback is going to let you hit something I will yell.)
2 encounters on our last outing. First I see a couple of guys with heads under hood. Asked if they had trouble or where just checking. "Was running hot on the way here." Now there are some pretty good pulls to get to Branson. I asked how heavy they where and how fast they where running. What the bell you know? As I walked away, I thought overheating is the first sign a engine is overloaded, and I know if overloaded you can slow down, drop a cog, and get the job done.
Next day have to stop our walk while some people pull one TV out, and back another in. From my site listen to the RIGHT TURN, LEFT TURN.... Must be the TV. Walked over asked if they had checked the ground? Fuses? "It can't be fuse, all lights work on the truck" Many now have separate fuses for trailer plug... "I'll just tow home like this" If you pull over here so I don't need to lay on gravel I will see if I can find what is wrong, make it safer to go home. No! I'll tow it home pay somebody! Walk away hope nobody else's insurance doesn't have to pay.

Ski Pro 3

bye

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ignorance is bliss. Life is so much simpler for the uninformed. All you have to do is walk away from the forum, stick your head in the sand and join the rest of the uneducated and enjoy life. Of course, the school of hard knocks might bite you in the butt. Which, for me, is when I am made aware of something I am either not doing, or not doing right, and ignoring it. Once I'm aware of a situation, I can NOT just ignore it. It will know that I know and it will bite me at the very first opportunity that it can. Next trip most likely.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years on this forum and others, I've read about half a dozen things that either corrected or improved something I do. I've read about another half dozen things that somehow inspired me to think about something else and incorporate it into my routine.

Of the variety of things posted in this thread to demonstrate complexity, I've come to learn that 90% of those things are asked by truly dumb people...and many times lazy people. Instead of DOING, they run to the forum and ask a question. There was an egregiously long thread on here a year or three back where someone couldn't figure out how to operate their microwave.

I've asked questions, but that's only after I beat my brains in trying to figure it out myself. Those who don't take the time to try and figure it out themselves are just plain lazy.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It sure is complicated.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS