RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Which shocks IF...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Which shocks IF...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't afford bilstein? I'm wondering if waiting to afford bilstein shocks versus getting shocks now is worth it, or even safe and which shock you would recommend

Proud father of a US Marine

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How bad are your existing shocks currently? Few things are more important {like brakes and tires} so if the current shocks are shot spend the money and get the Heavy Duty Bilstein's. They are lot cheaper {and IMHO, better than the Koni FSD's but opinions certainly vary.}

The Bilstein's are about the same as the top of the Line Monroe's and others as well. I replaced the original shocks on my 2012 E-350 at 33,000 miles with the HD Bilstein's and wished I had done it a lot sooner. Day to day you tend to not notice just how bad your shocks have gotten as the change is gradual. But, put a new set of quality shocks on and WOW, what a difference that you will notice immediately.

Bottom line I highly recommend the HD Bilsteins... they are worth every penny!

[emoticon]

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monroe Gas Magnums worked well on my previous truck. Different types so do your research.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain has it spot on here. When I replaced the stock shocks with Bilsteins, I wished I had just removed the stock Ford shocks when new. The fact that Bilsteins are part of Jayco's J ride package is a pretty good endorsement.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

txnese

Pearland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed Bilsteins HD shocks and Hellwig sway bars. Tremendous difference in handling.

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had Bilsteins on the front of my E450, and found the digressive valving too floaty as I'm lightly loaded with a no-slide 24' house. The front tires were cupping badly. Switched to a pair of Monroe Magnum RV shocks, which were all of something like $25/each using an Advance Auto coupon, and they resulted in a much more controlled ride, and also the tires are wearing evenly as the twin I-beam front end isn't going up and down all the time with it's inherent toe change.

Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although we went with Bilstien shocks, my thinking is to go with the best shock you can afford. Our Chevy 4500 chassis had two completely worn out shocks at 17K miles... one front & one rear!
Lumpty wrote:

I had Bilsteins on the front of my E450, and found the digressive valving too floaty as I'm lightly loaded with a no-slide 24' house. The front tires were cupping badly. Switched to a pair of Monroe Magnum RV shocks, which were all of something like $25/each using an Advance Auto coupon, and they resulted in a much more controlled ride, and also the tires are wearing evenly as the twin I-beam front end isn't going up and down all the time with it's inherent toe change.

Lumpy, could you elaborate on the "cupping" you experienced? Our current tires are starting to show cupping in the center of the tread. Scheduled Friday to replace all six with Michelin.

Gary

* This post was edited 06/19/19 02:24pm by FunTwoDrv *

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if there's a different shock type that should be used on an RV that is further away from it's chassis weight maximum versus an RV that loads it's chassis close to it's design weight maximum?

Our 24 foot Class C definitely underloads it's E450 chassis, so it's ride in the rear was very stiff with OEM shocks. I retrofitted the rear OEM shocks with Koni FSD shocks back there and the sharp pounding in the rear on highway cracks and potholes has definitely been improved.

Yet other Class C owners in these forums who have tried Koni FSD shocks report not being especially impressed (note that "Koni FSD" shocks are NOT the same as other Koni shock types) . Is the difference in FSD impressions due to a light Class C versus a heavy Class C?

I'm still scratching my head over what shocks to use in the front to replace the OEM shocks. At ~76K miles on our rig, maybe it's time - but our mechanic still says not yet on the front shocks. Why are my front OEM shocks (and the OEM front steering damper) not worn out yet?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FunTwoDrv wrote:

Although we went with Bilstien shocks, my thinking is to go with the best shock you can afford. Our Chevy 4500 chassis had two completely worn out shocks at 17K miles... one front & one rear!
Lumpty wrote:

Lumpy, could you elaborate on the "cupping" you experienced? Our current tires are starting to show cupping in the center of the tread. Scheduled Friday to replace all six with Michelin.

Gary

This was consistent across all the Michelin LTX tread blocks on both front tires. Another term for it is feathering. Below is a picture found elsewhere on the internet of that same tire on a Ford Econoline starting to do the same thing:

[image][image]

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CLICK HERE to read my story with many pictures on shocks. My solution was going with heavy duty Bilstein shocks from Tire Rack, and installed them myself to make it an affordable project.

BTW, my front tires also had "cupping" damage. If you look close, you can see it in the first picture in my CLICK HERE. I assume the damage occurred from the original bad front shocks.

* This post was edited 06/21/19 08:24pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Which shocks IF...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS