|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping with a baby

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ this is true. daughter cries when camper goes into storage and bugs me to bring it home as soon as the snow starts melting. worth every one of the way too many dollars I spend on it for the memories I make with them.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started tent camping with our daughter at about 1 year old. As said, things weren't much different than at home. She had her own air mattress and sleeping bag. We'd bring a few toys, but our attention was focused mostly on her. As the years went on her favorite activities were hiking and sitting by the fire at night. When she was a teenager she bought her own tent and used it when we had our pop-up camper. She's almost 35 now, married, and both of them love the outdoors and she's still tenting.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

kenbert

Long Island,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter was 2 weeks old when we went to Disney. Made the Reservation Before she was conceived. Had a Great time.

95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

Helmsey

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both of our girls fist camping trips were at 4 weeks. We just carried on as we normally would, but at the campground rather than at the house [emoticon]

KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Tal/IL

Central Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also started our kids out camping at an early age. First tent camping and later a truck camper. The only caution I'll offer is be mindful of avoiding too much sun. A sunburned toddler is a miserable experience for both child and parent.

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

STANG23L

Osceola, WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If these guys can do it full time. I'm sure you'll be fine.

2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tal/IL wrote:

We also started our kids out camping at an early age. First tent camping and later a truck camper. The only caution I'll offer is be mindful of avoiding too much sun. A sunburned toddler is a miserable experience for both child and parent.

sun screen and a place to cool off are valuable. this is a good piece of advice

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't say how you would be camping - tent or RV of some sort? When our sons were babies, we tent camped. The oldest was a toddler and I actually had a harness made for kids to keep him in a close circle by us. This way I could get a fire started and cook. His little brother who was a year younger, just an infant, was in a play pen. Fast forward to our grandkids coming camping. When the kids were little, we always had a portable crib outside to keep the little ones contained for safety and we had a portable high chair. Last fall we camped up in a remote campground in the Seven Devil's Wilderness and there was a couple next to with a toddler and an infant. They hiked back into the wilderness with those two kids and returned at dusk to a hot meal around their camp stove and slept through the night, except for one brief crying spell we heard from the baby.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

RobFusili

usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your advice and support. The replies are all encouraging!
@ReneeG I am a tent enthusiast so we'll definitely bring our tents.
I will get back to you all with my impressions.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first camping trip with our girls was when they were 4 and 5 years old. We were financially restricted at at that time and while we had camped as kids, our families did not camp at all.

We borrowed everything, tent, slipping bags, stove and packed our kitchen for that first trip in a plastic bucket.

12 years later while in a young womans organization they became state wide officers and had to travel all over the state and even to Manitoba. They traveled in groups and were amazed at how little the travel buddies knew about travel and in actuality this State.

They thanked us then and still talk about those travel days and tenting, cooking over a wood fire and exploring the area where we were camping, even their first encounter with a bear in Yosemite.

Letting kids explore life was expected back then, no helicopter parents. Our grandkids have been raised that way and their first camping trips occurred at about 3 or for months for both of them.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping with a baby
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.