RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: mild rant, contractors and repair folks

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> mild rant, contractors and repair folks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having run. what I feel is a successful business, for 40 plus years.
We have always called folks back. And showed up when we said we would.
On occasion, where something came up, we always call or e-mail.

Perhaps I am just an old out of date, curmudgeon, but it seems to me that has gone by the wayside.

We have struggled of late with both contractors and repair folks, in terms of getting them to show up or call back.

I understand, surf is up, they have lots of work. What I think they miss is, the tide will turn as it always does. The will be begging for work, but because they blew out any referrals they will never get it. Even if they did great work, how can I refer someone to them, If had to call and call to get the job done?

* This post was edited 06/18/19 07:50pm by an administrator/moderator *

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your right. just had a roof repair about 2k, found a bad spot on my shop called the same company, lady says there only doing total roof jobs now DON,T HAVE TIME FOR SMALL REPAIRS. bet I don,t ever call them again,and in five years they,ll wonder why there going belly up.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New world, new day. Can’t go back...unfortunately.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Lol, and this upset you?
Because the economy is good and they are super busy?
That’s funny. Especially if you took it personally.
He!!, I write million dollar subcontracts to companies knowing I’m going to get bumped down their schedule and be at their mercy.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^ Lol, and this upset you?
Because the economy is good and they are super busy?
That’s funny. Especially if you took it personally.
He!!, I write million dollar subcontracts to companies knowing I’m going to get bumped down their schedule and be at their mercy.

Perhaps, I expressed myself poorly, or perhaps you read my post to quick. I think, it, is great they are busy, but what I think is this. Busy or not, if you do not take care of your existing customers, and your new ones, people will not refer to you. So you will always be in need of new non referred customers. And when times slow down you will be in trouble. Tough way to run a business.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Respect is a lost art. And it is very apparent in the service businesses. Certainly there are some good ones. But getting harder to find.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think some of the problem is employees. I have a close firend who has a construction company. He only employs citizens, many from the inner city. He pays really well, great benefits, etc. He had 8 callouts today. We think that he pays so well (way north of the $15 number) that employees really don't need to work a full 40, much less OT. Of course, they are not saving for retirement, other than the K1 he furnishes.

Doesn't explain the last of communications but makes it harder to stay on schedule and increases stress.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having been the the building business for twenty years+, it's tough to find good subs. Once a guy or team showed up, and did the work - I hired them back next time.

Unfortunately, some subs rairly plan the start day well, so start late and get behind, and miss the time/date for finish. SO, always behind, and can't answer work calls - or even if they answer, they can't bid the job.

One of the toughest things for any contractor to manage is overlap -- you need to plan start date and finish date, so you know when you're available for a client when s/he calls.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mean like buying a new RV from a dealer and they treat you like a turd in the service dept after the purchase?

Yup good customer service these days are a thing of the past. My wife and I discuss this quite a bit. I have a customer base which I need to be on point with jumping through hoops to be successful in my career. I slip up and it's lost business. I have had the same customers for decades.

But I'm now a senior citizen, the upcoming young ones don't give a care.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel to Japan ocasionaly and every busines takes customer service very seriously
Enjoy

https://youtu.be/ynEjnebw8LA

https://youtu.be/T1K_UvEOFHg

Bit of lols but so true
https://youtu.be/vJRBgMaKN98

* This post was edited 06/18/19 09:40pm by free radical *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> mild rant, contractors and repair folks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS