RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my question, is can they be towed 4 down, and does the wheels turning charge the batteries??? ??

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Here's my question, is can they be towed 4 down, and does the wheels turning charge the batteries??? ??

Not without voiding the warranty of any of them. But yes if you take your foot off the accelerator the regenerative braking recharges the batteries. That’s why EV brakes don’t get much use.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

the govt didn’t pay for anything. all of us did. you’re welcome.
EXACTLY
Actually I think the money was borrowed. Taxes did not increase.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

I applaud all these RVers who tow 400 to 500 miles without taking any breaks.

We've done 700+ mile days taking only two 15 minute breaks. It's rough!

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

EXACTLY
Actually I think the money was borrowed. Taxes did not increase.

not the point. govt has no money without extracting it from the citizens.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

time2roll wrote:

rk911 wrote:

T&P??
Member with strong dislike to electric vehicles especially Tesla.

Lies and d(*&-n lies.

How could I have a "strong dislike to electric vehicles" when I OWN ONE!!!

I would appreciate it if you would stop telling lies about me Time and give me an apology for the lies you just told.

OP, I don't know how old you are put electric vehicles are a LOOOOOOOOG way off to becoming main stream. I follow this stuff pretty closely and will tell you LI batteries will never make it in a heavy duty situation.
You have a vehicle with no petrol tank?

I have a luxury vehicle I can plug in or put gas in. It's not built in a tent, and I can take it through a car wash with no worries.

I will never have a wheel fall off or have my info screen turn black. Everything works and the reports I read about it will continue to work.

My bumper won't fall off and my belly pan won't fill up with 30lbs of dirt. My windows won't shatter and I the car won't lock me in and roast me to death if I ever get into an accident.

I don't think my car will every catch on fire and burn my garage and house to ashes either.

Oh, one more thing. It's not as fast as a Tesla. But if I want to race a Tesla I have a street car that that take care of that problem.

So be a man Time and apologize to me for saying I'm a "member with strong dislike to electric vehicles."

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

I think I get what you are saying but long range EV’s (not ours) are quite capable of 800 or 900 km daily road trips. It’s done everyday. A lunch break while charging is needed and if it’s a multi day trip then usually an overnight at a hotel with destination charging which is usually 48 amp. But I agree, for those who travel over a thousand kilometres per day or maybe drive in shifts, a gas or diesel vehicle would be a better solution. But I’m not sure if that is a large number of people. Other than my military career, a long day for us is about 800 kilometres Easily achieved with a long range EV and a charging lunch stop.

Honestly our road trips are all presently in our Diesel pusher but that will change in a couple years.

It's a bit of a chicken & egg problem.

Right now, you can only eat at restaurants that have chargers and stay at hotels that have chargers...Being an EV really drives your travel plans.

Also, I suspect you will find places with charging stations are higher end places...so if you are doing a road trip and would normally crash at a $75/night hotel before heading out in the morning, do you kill the fuel savings because now you need to upgrade to a $150/night hotel in addition to paying for electricity because that's the only place that has a charging station.

From a practical point of view, it's going to add time, cost and complication, so long range is really limited to those trying to prove it can be done...not the typical consumer who just wants to get from A to B without hassles.

This is why I believe EVs can make great commuter cars (give up on the long range and the extreme costs that come with that) for multi-car families. In multi-car families, they can replace one of their ICE cars with an EV and when a longer trip is needed, they use the remaining ICE car. This would allow market penetration on the 25-40% range based on market forces (giving the customer a better mouse trap) rather than using govt intervention to try to force the issue and only getting 1-2% of the market. Later when the market is more comfortable, moving EVs into the long range market becomes more viable after there is sufficient demand to support the infrastructure.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

At 12 cents that 500 miles costs $18 in electricity vs $60 in gasoline.
Yes if you have tiered rates electric could climb faster.

Currently wind and PV solar cost less per kWh to install/operate than a coal plant costs to operate (already installed). The money chase will be compelling.

The EV will charge fine with voltage sagging to 208 overnight.

Not sure I get the power outage thing vs shutting down power plants. Seems like a disconnect of production and usage.

Assuming a small efficient EV compared to a small efficient ICE...I would assume around 50mpg...so 10gal to do 500miles or about $27 at today's price in Michigan. Yes, you save on fuel but no where close to what you suggest.

Infrastructure needs to be improved to take advantage but EVs could actually help with infrastructure.

Right now peak electricity demand is typically around 6pm. With no means to store electricity, Solar doesn't count at all in terms of sizing traditional power generating stations and grids. You need traditional generation and grid assuming zero contribution from solar. The consumer cost of a KWH is mostly to pay for the Power Plants and Grid. Actual fuel is usually less than 1/3 of the cost. This means solar doesn't have to beat traditional sources on cost...it has to beat them by a factor of 3 just to break even...but with large scale adoption of EVs that could change:
- It would be simple to set up timers to charge after the peak period.
- Running power plants at higher and more consistent outputs is actually more efficient, so keeping them at higher output in the middle of the night is an improvement.
- Solar can charge cars during the day...NOT NET METERING which is a scam...This would typically require solar charging at places of work, since most people don't have their cars at home during the day.
- Assuming you aren't planning a long trip the next day, a backfeed device could be used to shave off that 6pm peak. The cars battery could dump 5-10kwh back into the house during the peak (same basic system as solar systems that dump power back onto the grid but it can do it when the grid needs it). This would cut the need for traditional power plants to cover the peak.

A lot of infrastructure changes needed but for all the articles about how EVs are going to dominate, right now it sure looks like a slow transition...if it ever moves beyond a niche use.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are right when it comes to hotels. Most are business class hotels like best western, holiday inn, etc. Seem to be around that 105 dollar with breakfast affair.

Long range is certainly being done regularly and not by people proving it can be done. Superchargers and DC fast chargers are quite often but not always located to places like Starbucks, Walmart etc. A 400 mile trip really takes no longer in an EV than a gas car for most who take a lunch break and the occasional pee or walk the chihuahua break. But yes. Right now there are less DCFC and or Supercharger locations. In some provinces and states EV’s are limited to commuters. Others are quite good. The only petrol burner we own is our diesel pusher. But of course every bodies situation is different. Most households that buy an EV in our area become EV only households within a couple years. Usually within a few months of buying an EV the gasser falls into dis-use as no one wants to drive it.

Anyway. Interesting discussion.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

EXACTLY

Wasn't like you couldn't have one also. I was moving with the technology.
There were many that took advantage of not only the charger but a 15,000 credit. I didn't get that but my lease was for 127.00 a month for 2 years now that was a gift.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS