RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: DTV nightmare.. Timmac around?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DTV nightmare.. Timmac around?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

timmac wrote:

2oldman wrote:

timmac wrote:

..buy a Roko box and hook it up with your internet a away you go.
I'm going to investigate that. I have blazing internet at the house, just the phone for the RV which I don't think is going to cut it. I have my service and my locals set up just the way I like it and I do not want any of it touched.

I had a DTV receiver for the house and RV, without the fuss of having 2 accounts, which has worked just fine for years. Then I made the silly mistake of deactivating the other receiver, which essentially blew it off the map, and I'm not a good enough liar to get it reactivated. Even after being a loyal customer for over 20 years. Gimme a break.

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

THIS IS NOT A HOME TOPIC. It's about how to access these TV options while RVing. Please stop confusing folks by making them believe that the same service they can get at home is available when they are in their RV.

If you have internet at home than you have access to thousands of channel right now at zero cost and almost no commercials..

Do not get the Roko stick, get the Roko 3 box, the stick does not get all the channels and has a hard time receiving internet, I like the Roko 3 boxes, they work just fine and cost $100 and No Monthly Fees...

Umm I have 2 Roko boxes in my motorhome and get all the same channels at home as well in the RV, you just need a good internet everywhere that is coming in less than 2 years thanks to Elon Musk..

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

2oldman wrote:

timmac wrote:

I'm going to investigate that. I have blazing internet at the house, just the phone for the RV which I don't think is going to cut it. I have my service and my locals set up just the way I like it and I do not want any of it touched.

I had a DTV receiver for the house and RV, without the fuss of having 2 accounts, which has worked just fine for years. Then I made the silly mistake of deactivating the other receiver, which essentially blew it off the map, and I'm not a good enough liar to get it reactivated. Even after being a loyal customer for over 20 years. Gimme a break.

If you have internet at home than you have access to thousands of channel right now at zero cost and almost no commercials..

Do not get the Roko stick, get the Roko 3 box, the stick does not get all the channels and has a hard time receiving internet, I like the Roko 3 boxes, they work just fine and cost under $100 and No Monthly Fees...

THIS IS NOT A HOME TOPIC. It's about how to access these TV options while RVing. Please stop confusing folks by making them believe that the same service they can get at home is available when they are in their RV.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

timmac wrote:

2oldman wrote:

timmac wrote:

Do not get the Roko stick, get the Roko 3 box, the stick does not get all the channels and has a hard time receiving internet, I like the Roko 3 boxes, they work just fine and cost under $100 and No Monthly Fees...

This is not your thread Bill, and in 2oldmans post he mentions his fast internet at home and I replied about that..

[emoticon]

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

timmac wrote:

I'm going to investigate that.
I have a smart TV and am looking at the Hulu app. For around $45 a month I can get pretty much all I need, via wireless. The fly in the ointment for me is recording. I never watch live TV.

I also like the 4k thing.. which I think I can only get via xfinity home internet - plus a DVR. But that ain't cheap.

There's a lot out there!

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

2oldman wrote:

timmac wrote:

I'm going to investigate that.
I have a smart TV and am looking at the Hulu app. For around $45 a month I can get pretty much all I need, via wireless. The fly in the ointment for me is recording. I never watch live TV.

I also like the 4k thing.. which I think I can only get via xfinity home internet - plus a DVR. But that ain't cheap.

There's a lot out there!

With streaming you don't need to record, all programs are always there ready to watch at anytime, that is what makes streaming so much better over satellite..

Smart TV's are OK but the Roku box offers many more channels and many are FREE...

https://www.roku.com/

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

With streaming you don't need to record, all programs are always there ready to watch at anytime,
Can I stream through commercials?

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

timmac wrote:

With streaming you don't need to record, all programs are always there ready to watch at anytime,
Can I stream through commercials?

Commercials are few with streaming to begin with, some channels have zero and some have a few, over the past 5 years I have been streaming commercials are coming on more but still less than half what cable/satellite offers..

As to speeding up the program to get out of commercials no I can not do that..

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

On my next stop I plan to power up the HR44 w/o the coax connected to verify that you can/can not see recorded shows w/o the dish connected.
I have NOT been able to see all my recordings. I called and complained. Went out today and bought/installed an inverter just for the HR44 so I can keep it powered up continuously and not lose my ability to access my recordings with no antenna up.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

On my next stop I plan to power up the HR44 w/o the coax connected to verify that you can/can not see recorded shows w/o the dish connected.
I have NOT been able to see all my recordings. I called and complained. Went out today and bought/installed an inverter just for the HR44 so I can keep it powered up continuously and not lose my ability to access my recordings with no antenna up.
It was your thread that has prompted me to try with the coax disconnected next week.

Now about continuous inverter 120V for the receiver. Will the HR44 still allow viewing recorded shows after the RV is down with the dish down? ie It's detected no sat but recordings OK. Or recordings with a overlayed error?

While I have an inverter it's also a pass through and sometimes the transition voltage transients caused the receiver to reboot.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate wrote:

bought/installed an inverter just for the HR44 so I can keep it powered up continuously and not lose my ability to access my recordings with no antenna up.
You should be able to view your recording sans antenna, after rebooting from no power.

A few years ago DTV pulled that stunt.. which is ridiculous.. but so far they've fixed it and recordings should be viewable regardless.

I use the Quick tune (9 channel thing when you press the up arrow) but you have no idea what's on unless you select and go to that channel. 20 years ago the Hughes receivers showed the program name in the title block so you didn't have to do that. I suggested DTV make that enhancement. They refused.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DTV nightmare.. Timmac around?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS