|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trip Planning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

No,there are times that a stand alone GPS would be beneficial because I don't believe google maps works fully when there's no cell service. Like real time traffic and accident locations. You need cell service to get that stuff. You can transfer the RV Trip Wizard file to a GPS unit but I can't get it to work. I have a Garmin so the protocol is to use Base Camp. It's not a user friendly program. Some people say they have no problem using it so it could just be that I have difficulty. I suppose I could manually enter everything into my Garmin but that's a lot of work if it's a long trip you're planning. Checking fuel locations for access is going to depend on the size of your RV. Obviously the bigger the RV, the more room you need to maneuver. I have a 34' 5th wheel so I need a decent amount of maneuverability and height clearance where a truck camper or class B won't have those concerns. Nothing is going to be fool proof. I found what works for me while others use different methods and find that works for them.

Note first you have to transfer the Trip Wizard file to your computer then using Garmin "POI loader" transfer it to your Garmin - it is a really easy process - and yes it does work - it does not have to load using Base Camp

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
354 Campgrounds,80K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1710 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's good to know rr2254545. Every tutorial I've seen used Base Camp. I'm going to give that a try and see how that works out. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: I was able to save an Excel spreadsheet from RV Trip wizard and then get that uploaded to the Garmin 760LMT but not a GPX file. Then within the Garmin itself it shows a "Custom POI". Whether or not that works I won't know for a couple more weeks when I go on a short trip across NY State. If it does, then I will use the Garmin on long trips and have Google Maps as a backup....Just in case.

* This post was edited 06/23/19 10:29am by RobWNY *

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

luv2gowalkabout

Warrenton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve, I have many tools in my tool box for trips. I always start with trip wizard. I find it is worth the money and gives me great information for mileage, campgrounds, and routes during the planning stage. It does not have everything but their routing has improved. Once the trip is basically planned,I use google, and various books and apps. Google doesn't do low clearance and route preferences are for automobiles. I find it is a must to have my truckers road atlas book for low clearances, Next Exit for gas and food on interstates, RVPark reviews for CG information and gas buddy for diesel fuel.
Hope that helps

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luv2gowalkabout nailed it. I have the Rand McNally Truckers atlas too. Always bring it with me when traveling. That's a good point to bring up. Always carry a map or atlas. If you are without service whether it be a Garmin or similar type navigation unit glitch or no cell service, you have something to navigate with.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have Windows 10, there is a good mapping program called "Maps". Look in Microsoft. Not much instructional information available (that I've found). More I use it the more I like it. You can download maps to use when not on line, although when on line, only the road view is available.
I also use 2 standalone Garmins. In addition to being able to use when not in cell range, they have tons more capability than any phone based system.

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cross21114 wrote:

If you have Windows 10, there is a good mapping program called "Maps". Look in Microsoft. Not much instructional information available (that I've found). More I use it the more I like it. You can download maps to use when not on line, although when on line, only the road view is available.
I also use 2 standalone Garmins. In addition to being able to use when not in cell range, they have tons more capability than any phone based system.

Thanks
I did not know that that was there. It's pretty fast too.

KEN

I (2-10-05) bought a 2002 F350 CC SWD PSD and a new 2003 Citation 10'8. I have been a tent camper all my life. I wanted more comfort while camping and CraterLake Ski Patrol.
It's time for more space. I purchased a 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken,

I had a typo in previous post. Aerial view is only available when on line. Road view can be used off line if maps are downloaded.

By the way, I agree with your earlier post about Mapsource being much easier to use than Base Camp. I was able to install in on my Windows 10 computer so I can still use it. If you still have an installation disk, give it a try.

Chris

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The latest update has a good feature - the Research tab. Pick your stop and you can select a number of points of interest around the stop. Fuel, groceries, restaurants etc. Just for kicks select "Department Stores" and see how many dollar stores there are.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trip Planning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS