|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 Silverado HD Media Launch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I said mark my words when they get rid of the Allison 6 speed the towing numbers will be up with the competition as it was the weak link in the SAE testing.

Yep... You sure did

What do I win? Ford towing mirrors???

You win a CP4.2 disaster kit for your future ram Cummins with CP4.2

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Sorry, but I'm also not a fan of both GM and Ford's door mirror cams. Reason being: Last thing I want to be doing is looking at center of dash checking blinds spots when making a lane change doing 55-70 mph when I need to looking in the mirror of lane I want to go into from one I'm in. To me, it's called "taking your eyes off the road". Am I wrong in this logic?

Yes you are. The Ford mirror cams only work in reverse, not when going forward. So unless you plan on doing 55-70 MPH in reverse, haven't tried my dually yet but I bet it won't do that speed, don't see you using the mirror cams. The 360 cam in forward only works to a few MPH's.

The mirror cams are for the 360 camera and also when backing a trailer. You can zoom in and also change to a wider view when backing a trailer.

2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like some of the camera features on my F350 but they could be more useful. I did not get the trailer mounted camera as it only works in reverse. I used to have a motorhome and was able to monitor traffic behind me. I wish the Ford worked that way. What is useful is the camera mounted on the cab stoplight. With its centering line I can hit my hitch just right every time. Without it I couldn't see it.

I did look at the new GM HD camera system on their website and it appears it will be much more useful. From what I could see you can use it as a full time rear monitor.

JimT
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM, 2017 Ford F350 King Ranch, 6.7 PS, 4X4 dually

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang ugly front end. Mom needs a new SUV next year, I sure hope the new Tahoe’s are not a copy in 2021.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

Dang ugly front end. Mom needs a new SUV next year, I sure hope the new Tahoe’s are not a copy in 2021.

Yes they are ugly, no paper bag big enough to cover the face of that truck

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 12:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevy and GM always seem to produce markedly different looking front clips. Good and bad in that. Sometimes the GMC is the ugly duckling, sometimes the Chevy.
I really like the new 1/2 ton Chevys. gmc not so much. New HDs, Chevy is fugly and the GMC looks pretty good. Although after driving a 19 Silverado 1500 for the last month, there's too much plastic **** on the front, even though it looks nice, it doesn't look durable as a truck.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 01:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTrac wrote:

I like some of the camera features on my F350 but they could be more useful. I did not get the trailer mounted camera as it only works in reverse. I used to have a motorhome and was able to monitor traffic behind me. I wish the Ford worked that way. What is useful is the camera mounted on the cab stoplight. With its centering line I can hit my hitch just right every time. Without it I couldn't see it.

I did look at the new GM HD camera system on their website and it appears it will be much more useful. From what I could see you can use it as a full time rear monitor.

If you want to turn the Ford backup camera on while driving forward down the highway simply put the gearshift lever in reverse.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

JTrac wrote:

If you want to turn the Ford backup camera on while driving forward down the highway simply put the gearshift lever in reverse.

Man, I can't understand why I didn't come up with that solution. I'll give it a try next time we are out and let you know how it works out.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's TFL's report on Chevy's new HD trucks.

Link

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the "Allison Branded" statements. Why not call it what it is?

Side bed step is useless. To make the side step be functional it needs to be back by the front of the rear tire to comfortably reach the tool box and 5er hitch.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 Silverado HD Media Launch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS