RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2020 Silverado HD Media Launch

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 Silverado HD Media Launch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/26/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I love the "Allison Branded" statements. Why not call it what it is?

Side bed step is useless. To make the side step be functional it needs to be back by the front of the rear tire to comfortably reach the tool box and 5er hitch.


Have you used this step in these new vehicles that were shipped from Flint MI last week? Or is this just your opinion?


Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2014 Express 3500 (Code named "BIG ED" by daughters)
previous 2011 Silverado 2500HD CC (6.0, 3.73)
prior 2001 Yukon XL (8.1L, 4.10)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS
previous - 2002 Dutchmen 31BH4DSL

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/26/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I love the "Allison Branded" statements. Why not call it what it is?

Side bed step is useless. To make the side step be functional it needs to be back by the front of the rear tire to comfortably reach the tool box and 5er hitch.


Have you used this step in these new vehicles that were shipped from Flint MI last week? Or is this just your opinion?


I know from personal experience that position is useless on a longbed DRW truck. Don't believe me put a small step stool at the front of the bed and try to reach the 5er hitch handle.

AMP makes a bedstep that mounts at the front of the bed, my Dad bought one and installed on his LB DRW RAM realized it was useless to reach hitch or get into tool box with the lid open. He returned it.

So I put my genius skills to use and built a bedstep that's placement actually does some good. I built one for my 11 DRW LB and was happy with how it worked so I built one for my Dad. He loves it!

For your viewing pleasure a properly mounted bed step that no one makes, besides me.

[image]
[image]
[image]


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/26/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice fab on the step!


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 06/26/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTrac wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

JTrac wrote:

I like some of the camera features on my F350 but they could be more useful. I did not get the trailer mounted camera as it only works in reverse. I used to have a motorhome and was able to monitor traffic behind me. I wish the Ford worked that way. What is useful is the camera mounted on the cab stoplight. With its centering line I can hit my hitch just right every time. Without it I couldn't see it.

I did look at the new GM HD camera system on their website and it appears it will be much more useful. From what I could see you can use it as a full time rear monitor.



If you want to turn the Ford backup camera on while driving forward down the highway simply put the gearshift lever in reverse.


Man, I can't understand why I didn't come up with that solution. I'll give it a try next time we are out and let you know how it works out.


It works. I've done it to switch on the bed camera to view what I have in the box.


2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

JTrac

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 10/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/26/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

JTrac wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

JTrac wrote:

I like some of the camera features on my F350 but they could be more useful. I did not get the trailer mounted camera as it only works in reverse. I used to have a motorhome and was able to monitor traffic behind me. I wish the Ford worked that way. What is useful is the camera mounted on the cab stoplight. With its centering line I can hit my hitch just right every time. Without it I couldn't see it.

I did look at the new GM HD camera system on their website and it appears it will be much more useful. From what I could see you can use it as a full time rear monitor.



If you want to turn the Ford backup camera on while driving forward down the highway simply put the gearshift lever in reverse.


Man, I can't understand why I didn't come up with that solution. I'll give it a try next time we are out and let you know how it works out.


It works. I've done it to switch on the bed camera to view what I have in the box.


Okay, I'll bite. Thought you were making a joke. You are aren't you?


JimT
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM, 2017 Ford F350 King Ranch, 6.7 PS, 4X4 dually

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/26/19 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Nice fab on the step!


Thank you!

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 06/27/19 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTrac wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

JTrac wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

JTrac wrote:

I like some of the camera features on my F350 but they could be more useful. I did not get the trailer mounted camera as it only works in reverse. I used to have a motorhome and was able to monitor traffic behind me. I wish the Ford worked that way. What is useful is the camera mounted on the cab stoplight. With its centering line I can hit my hitch just right every time. Without it I couldn't see it.

I did look at the new GM HD camera system on their website and it appears it will be much more useful. From what I could see you can use it as a full time rear monitor.



If you want to turn the Ford backup camera on while driving forward down the highway simply put the gearshift lever in reverse.


Man, I can't understand why I didn't come up with that solution. I'll give it a try next time we are out and let you know how it works out.


It works. I've done it to switch on the bed camera to view what I have in the box.


Okay, I'll bite. Thought you were making a joke. You are aren't you?


The first time I tried selecting reverse at highway speed to engage the camera was with with my 2007 Yukon Denali. It worked as expected.... the computer would not perform the shift but the camera switched on. Since then I've done it on various occasions with my Fords. I expected either the gear shift would be locked to make selecting reverse impossible or the computer would override the gear selection and refuse to make the shift. Looking back I'm a little surprised I had the nerve to try it because years ago I had an old customized truck with a 535 cubic inch engine and a C6 automatic. It wasn't set up quite right and it had to be manually shifted. Well once I accidentally hit reverse trying to go from 2nd to drive. I'm not sure what order things happened in but the shift was made; the engine stalled; the rear wheels skidded and the tail shaft housing on the transmission broke.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/30/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an update from Mr. Truck.

Chevy Engineer and Mr Truck and at the end of the video a 6.6 gas engine pulling 12k pounds.

Link


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 Silverado HD Media Launch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS