|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

Does anyone have a 5th wheel that they say can be towed by a 1/2 ton truck? Are you actually towing it with a 1/2 ton truck and what kind of truck do you have?
See signature.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no need to add a aux tranny cooler on these new trucks unless your pulling 4k-5k lbs above the truck makers GCWR.
Like all add ons like a tranny cooler, the time to add them is when tranny temps run hot continually. Same for air bags/SuperSprings/etc.

I've put over a dozen truck in commercial service and always made some runs first to see if anything needs help.

Look at the F150HDPP platform. Its not just a F150 with bigger springs but has a heavier main frame....9.75"HD rear axle....load E tires and wheels.....larger brake rotors....3.5 EB engine with more HP/torque than many 3/4 ton gazz trucks.
This is the top F150 and is good for pulling up to around 9k-10k gross weight 5th wheel rv trailer.
That 11400 lb 5th wheel trailer may have 2300-2500 lbs of pin weight. By the time you load the trailer and stuff in the truck it will overload the trucks 4800 RAWR.

* This post was last edited 06/27/19 07:20pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

I went to Towingplanner.com. They have a way you can calculate the Maximum Loaded Trailer weight that you can tow using the payload. I had all the other numbers they asked. According to that I can tow a Maximum weight of 7,600 to 11,400 lbs.

It's such a large range because of different types of trailers can vary greatly in tongue weights. Fivers are usually between 20-25%, bumper pulls 10-15% and boats 5-7%. The boats are again another way that manufacturers get away with advertising such high tow ratings as they have much lighter tongue weights than standards trailers.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a Park Host I see many 1/2 tons carrying/Pulling 5er's, most seem to be set up well. I have stated many times while I don't endorse it, I would much rather see a 1/2 ton over GVWR and under axle and tire rating carrying a 5er, than pulling a long TT! Towing a 5er is far more stable then a TT, wind or semi sway is non-existent. With a 3.5 EB, power is not an issue. Most that I see carrying a 5er with a 1/2 ton seem happy with the setup.
As another posted don't get discouraged, go look at a couple RV shows and see what rigs will fill your needs.

* This post was edited 06/27/19 07:20pm by an administrator/moderator *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a guy in the campground with Ford 150 puling a 35 ft.Montana.He say the truck don't have any problems puling
the FW.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

mt1729

Helena, MT. summer, Wellton, AZ winter

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 01:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to tow a fifth wheel with your 1/2 ton do it. It's just as safe as using a 3/4 ton. The only limiting factor would be not having a full floating rear axle. Although it has been years since I've heard of any axles breaking on a 1/2 ton because of overloading, you might want to be a little careful of pin weight. A Lot of people on here tow with 3/4 tons and bigger and are somewhat limited in ability. They are always down on others that do something a little different then they would be comfortable doing. I can tell you from experience 1/2 tons work just fine as a tow vehicle. Myself, I prefer a 3/4 ton. The only reason being is I can get one with more pulling power then 1/2 ton has. I pull a second trailer behind my 5th wheeler. My second trailer weights 3,400 lbs loaded. Get what you want. Relax and enjoy.

Moose

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

If you haven’t bought the truck yet why are you so set on an F150?

Because those are in my price range. I don't want to spend $65,000 + on a truck.

I suggest getting online and pricing up a 1/2ton with the ratings and options needed to tow that kind of payload and then compare to the 3/4 or 1 ton.

The $199/month specials they advertise are the ones with 1200lb payload and 4000lb tow ratings (yes, I'm exaggerating but not a lot)

I think you will find, once you option the 1/2ton out...you are up pretty much in the same price range.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

rollindowntheroad wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

If you haven’t bought the truck yet why are you so set on an F150?

Because those are in my price range. I don't want to spend $65,000 + on a truck.

I suggest getting online and pricing up a 1/2ton with the ratings and options needed to tow that kind of payload and then compare to the 3/4 or 1 ton.

The $199/month specials they advertise are the ones with 1200lb payload and 4000lb tow ratings (yes, I'm exaggerating but not a lot)

I think you will find, once you option the 1/2ton out...you are up pretty much in the same price range.
Actually I did just that in March. Depending on incentives in effect, the price is within a couple thousand dollars of each other. However, at least in March, the incentives for the F150 were $8500 more (cheaper) than the F250. And besides that, I have the 3.5 ecoboost and a 10 sp transmission, a combination that is far and away superior (in my opinion); And especially so if you are using it as a daily driver. I dumped my V10 F250 and couldn't be happier.

* This post was edited 07/01/19 05:26am by troubledwaters *

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Actually I did just that in March. Depending on incentives in effect, the price is within a couple thousand dollars of each other. However, at least in March, the incentives for the F150 were $8500 more (cheaper) than the F250. And besides that, I have the 3.5 ecoboost and a 10 sp transmission, a combination that is far and away superior (in my opinion); And especially so if you are using it as a daily driver. I dumped my V10 F250 and couldn't be happier.

You have a much more reasonable approach - with the truck being a daily driver. OP is asking about a dedicated tow vehicle that he will full time in.

F250/2500 is a better choice, even if it is a little more.

* This post was edited 06/28/19 11:36am by an administrator/moderator *

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

You have a much more reasonable approach - with the truck being a daily driver. OP is asking about a dedicated tow vehicle that he will full time in.

F250/2500 is a better choice, even if it is a little more.

I'm not sure about this point. How often does the full timer move? And how much time is the TV used for non-towing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS