|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just don't go anywhere with long steep grades. Stay out of the Rockies.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

rollindowntheroad wrote:

Ok I finally give!!! I understand that I wouldn't be able to tow a 5th wheel. With calculations I've come up with the max I could even tow a travel trailer is 7,000 lbs. A far cry from what Ford advertises.

That's not correct either. Per the 2019 Ford trailer towing guidelines and based on the info from your original post, max tow weight is 10,700 lbs

2019 Trailer Tow

look on page 19

Yes, that's the listed "tow rating". What the OP is saying, and what most don't understand, is that once you load the vehicle with gear and passengers etc he only has enough payload left to support the tongue weight that a 7k trailer would have. Rarely will you ever get to anywhere near a vehicles tow rating without exceeding 1 or more other ratings first.

A travel trailer weighing 10,700lbs would have an average tongue weight over 1300lbs! That would exceed the receiver rating and nearly max out many 1/2 ton trucks on payload without anything else in the truck.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Yes, the motor can put out those numbers but doing so really limits the duty rating.
That must be why you see so many reports of dead ecoboosts everywhere - Oh Wait - I haven't seen any such reports - must be a bunch of malarky.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

mt1729 wrote:

Just to add a little bit more information. The ford 3.5 v6 ecoboost puts out 375 horsepower & 470 foot pounds of torque. How a little mostly aluminum engine of that size can handle twin turbos and that much power is mind boggling. However they seem to be holding up as well as any other gas engine that's out there.

I think it comes down to very few tow at the max ratings or even tow much at all (ie:90% or more of miles are running empty).

If Ford was comfortable towing 10k on a regular basis, they would be putting it in the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.

Yes, the motor can put out those numbers but doing so really limits the duty rating.

That is fine unless you are full time. 50% or more of the time we are towing our 19000#, 40 ft 5er. So we want a truck rated to tow more than 10% of the time.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bid_time wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

That must be why you see so many reports of dead ecoboosts everywhere - Oh Wait - I haven't seen any such reports - must be a bunch of malarky.

Could you explain?

What I basically described is the motor is capable for short bursts of putting out lots of power but it's OK because very few do more than that...hence most don't exceed the duty rating.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

That is fine unless you are full time. 50% or more of the time we are towing our 19000#, 40 ft 5er. So we want a truck rated to tow more than 10% of the time.

Ken

What 1/2ton is rated for a 19k lb 40ft 5er?

* This post was edited 07/01/19 07:37am by an administrator/moderator *

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

TXiceman wrote:

Ken

What 1/2ton is rated for a 19k lb 40ft 5er?

None are. The point is to get the right truck for the job, never mind what the salesman says or what you best buddy is towing with.

Ken

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a guy pull a 36 ft.FW Montana with a Ford 150.He say it pull very good the truck don't even feel it.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget, you can pull the Space Shuttle with a 1/2 ton, and I'm sure that's a lot more than 19K.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was going to comment but changed my mind.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS