RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Texas?!? I'm shocked.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Texas?!? I'm shocked.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been that way in Texas for a very long time. It's also not an issue for full-timers who are domiciled there but not back in the state very often. When we renew online, we attest that the vehicles are out of state and we just have to have them inspected the next time we're back in Texas. The inspection fee is $7.50 per vehicle. We've renewed while in Maryland, Ohio, California, and all over the place.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish Texas, and most other states honestly, would do safety inspections on their roads. Potholes, bridge transitions, construction damage and unlevel surfaces are the real danger.

* This post was edited 06/25/19 07:19pm by 1320Fastback *

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

I wish every State had a required inspection. Some of the rotted out junk running around here is an accident waiting to happen.

B.O.
Just add another fee to go along with the new tag upgrade fee and vehicle theft prevention fee that was just added. Far more accidents from stupidity of drivers then from vehicle failures.

Perhaps you can enlighten me to how many deaths from vehicle failure out of the 380 that died last year. Could not find data from the MN state on any mechanical failure fatalities.

* This post was edited 06/25/19 03:02pm by colliehauler *

rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Florida, a popular state of domicile for RVers. There is no inspection of vehicles required here.

I lived in Texas until mid 80's, and felt that the inexpensive inspection was a good idea. One thing they looked for was headlights not being properly aimed, or being too bright! I know because I once bought some fancy upgraded headlights for some reason, and they wouldn't pass inspection.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

My interpretations is it's about the money. Here in Tn you have to register a canoe or a log if you are going to use it in the water and a boater safety course is mandatory as is flotation devices, and a list of things. In the fifties though the eighties who would ever have thought of this. It is, "there ought to be a law," its about the children, it is about safety and the tally is over a hundred dollars.
And hunting and fishing licenses for deer and trout too approaching 200.00 and what does it get more Rangers to make sure your paperwork is in order....and trails and such for bird watchers etc who don't pay any of the freight.
Sorry drifted a bit off subject but it iss all about the money.

Exactly. Give em time and they'll think of a thousand more ways to get their greedy hands into your pocket. For the children. For safety. For whatever tugs at your heart strings. The gov is like the House in vegas- the more cash that passes thru the system, the more 'off the top' goes to those in control.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TX, I believe has had these for a few years, for the fulltimers, you have 30 days after re-entering Tx, before it becomes an issue. How you prove the 30 days??? I have no idea.

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My two cargo trailers are no longer required to get inspections in Texas. Don't know about RV's though. Just change 2 years ago I think.

2005 Leisure Sprinter Class B/2015 Honda CTX700

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, you moving here or just bashing Texas ? The inspection costs a whole whopping $14 . We also require an upgrade to your DL if your RV's gvwr or combined gvwr exceeds 26001 lbs.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DougE wrote:

My two cargo trailers are no longer required to get inspections in Texas. Don't know about RV's though. Just change 2 years ago I think.

My buddy over at TxDPS says the boat industries lobbiests got the inspection raised to 7700lbs gvwr minimum before inspection needed.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Land of the free, home of the inspected.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Texas?!? I'm shocked.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS