|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Roadside Assistance Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're about to leave on a four month, 7,000 mile trip in the US and Canada with a Ram 1500 and 27' TT. I've read some previous threads on this subject, but would like to hear from anyone with recent experience and opinions.

I've narrowed it down to three options:

1. Good Sam has a special on their basic plan for $75 for online signup (plus a $20 gift card at Camping world/Gander). Their premium plan ($35 more) benefits don't appeal to me except for the availability of "tech support from a certified RV tech". That could come in handy. Has anyone ever used this feature?

2. Escapees is $139, $40 to join plus $99 for Roadside Assist plan through SafeRide Motor Club. Tech support feature is included. This is the most expensive of the three, but Escapees website hints at discounts at 800 campsites, but isn't very specific. Anyone have experience with their RA plan or CG discounts?

3. FMCA is $124, $50 to join ($10 off special just started) plus $74 for RA, also through SafeRide, looks like exact same benefits as Escapees. There don't seem to be any other financial benefits.

Looking for input on savings with Escapees or FMCA, or good/bad on the RA plans.

Thanks!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In most remote locations none of those outfits will be any help.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They all call the same providers in the area you need the service. Pick the one with the most generous towing coverage.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget to check with your insurance provider because it's really inexpensive if you don't use regularly, and sounds like that's your plan, to have it as a backup option.

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs- 45 states, 9 provinces
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had Good Sam Roadside assistance for 30 yrs. They have always resolved any road side issues over the years. Batteries, flat tires, loading up my whole trailer on to a 60' flat bed trailer twice, towing both my 5th. wheel and truck at the same time. Have there been any issues, yes but usually just minor delays by a few tow trucks and some Good Sam staff who were not fully trained and fully informed. My last issue was pulling into a Calif. Rest Area because my clutch went bad, disabling my truck. The female Good Sam representive told me that because I didn't have my truck and trailer on the actual Interstate Hwy. that GS would only tow my truck but not my 5th wheel which would I would have to leave in the Rest Area and pay for my owing towing. I called GS customer service and filed a complaint. as directed. He told me the female agent was WRONG and was POORLY trained . 2 weeks later GS sent me a check for the total tow I had to pay for, $850[emoticon][emoticon]
I always buy the Premium Plan for assistance AND Emergency Evacuation for health issues( GS will send a truck driver to drive your RV home and will pay for flight cost for the person with health needs. And GS camping for the 10% discounts

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got tired of Good Sam offering a low upfront price then hit you with a almost double renewal price. BTW to get the low upfront price you will likely have to agree to auto renewal at year end. So you have to remember to cancel or they will auto renew you at their full retail price.

Got tired of the above and went with FMCA. The price is similar after you figure the membership fee. We went with it because you get the medical travel assist program for free with membership. GS and others charge extra for that.

Haven't used FMCA. Used GS once for dead battery and it was good service.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The annual cost of the Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan must be keep in perspective. i.e. One of my GS tows would have cost me $1200, another tow would have cost me 900$ if I would not have had the GS Roadside assistance plan. If the inital and annual cost of the GS tow plan is not finanically affordable, then just take your chances and pay out of pocket for all your tow costs when you break down.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 20 years of RVing part time I have needed a tow exactly once for $80 on New Year's Eve to get a fuel pump replaced.
I change my own flats, replaced a start battery, replaced alternator myself on the road.
Consider adding towing reimbursement insurance to your auto policy and know the limits. Or pay cash as you go.

Of course for big rigs or you are unable or unwilling to do some of the work you might be more inclined to get the service. I am easily ahead by skipping the service. Maybe just good luck.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach Net, best service. I have used them 3 times and every time they where there in a reasonable time. One time I was told they had been paid before the truck arrived.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

loggenrock

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

same answer as on other forum.... Look at the additional benefits FMCA gives you - especially the FMCAssist to get you home...

Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Roadside Assistance Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.