RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I asked for trouble and I got it.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> I asked for trouble and I got it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I asked for trouble and I got it. I asked my mechanic to do a comprehensive safety and breakdown check on my 2004 GMC 2500HD. Because breakdowns on vacation are no fun - we've had 2 already this year - and stressful for me and the wife, and I wanted to find problems before they happen. Bad idea? Maybe; maybe not.

Not suprisingly he found lots of problems. Brake issues front and rear, badly rusted control arms, etc. Most of them I understand and accept and will have them done over the next few months, one at a time. But the big one is this:

He says the fuel lines are badly rusted and strongly recommends replacing them, and that job includes new fuel pump and tank straps. It is an 8 hour job and estimated at $1800 parts and labor!

First of all, that's a shockingly large amount of money! Does this seem out of line? He says the entire system is one part, basically, from fuel tank to engine, and is $1000 just for the part!

Second: Is it appropriate to change this just because it is badly rusted? Would there be warning signs before impending failure (like a slight odor of gasoline)? Or would my only warning be the giant fireball as the line ruptures and sprays gas all over the exhaust and sets us on fire? What would you do? (All opinions welcome!)

David Kojen

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Auto zone sales the line for 590.00

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not chance it one bit, with rusty fuel lines. Due to the small diameter of those lines, any failure would likely be sudden in nature.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newman fulltimer wrote:

Auto zone sales the line for 590.00

Thanks but doing it myself is way beyond my skill level. If it's $590 at auto zone then $1000 at the shop is not that crazy.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like all the rest of us (and our rides), your's is getting older and is going to have parts that you can replace now before breakdown or later after breakdown. The choice is yours. In the case of the fuel lines and tank straps, you might get lucky and notice the smell of gas in time. But then again, the first sign of trouble might be your seat getting really hot and flames licking up the windows.

While I agree that $1800 sounds like a high price for fuel lines and tank straps, and you might get a second opinion on that, but I'd get 'em replaced before you go on vacation and ole Billy-Bob has the chance to soak you for twice that out in the middle of nowhere.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you look under and confirm? Surface rust or deeply pitted?
If you plan to keep that GMC a few more years... best to get it done.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The area you live uses a lot of road salt and it takes its toll. I would rather have the problems addressed then have to deal with it on vaction. I would have the brake lines checked as well, my Blazer had one rust through.

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, the truck is 15, going on 16 model years old.

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd shop around before I handed him that kind of money. If he's making $400+ profit on the line I'd want some second opinions.

I knew the GM products back then had brake lines that would rust through but this is the first fuel line that I've heard of.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought those lines were stainless or aluminum. I have never heard of this happening before. I would go to a Duramax Forum site and see if anyone has had this happen or knows of it. You might get an idea of what it should cost if they in fact do need to be replaced.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> I asked for trouble and I got it.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS