RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is the EV transformation of the market over hyped ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is the EV transformation of the market over hyped ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

So many people act like the battery and battery charging technology we now have will never get any better, when in fact it improves all the time.

Really? The super high tech battery in my 2 YO phone can't even run all day long.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

drsteve wrote:

So many people act like the battery and battery charging technology we now have will never get any better, when in fact it improves all the time.
Really? The super high tech battery in my 2 YO phone can't even run all day long.
Neither does my truck. What is the point?

Or compare your phone to something to 10 years ago and it may have a bit of improvement.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

free radical wrote:

F... without stinking up the air ...

If I did not have 2 coal burning electricity power plants out my back doorwall, and watch the coal be unloaded from 1000 ft ships, and then pushed by diesel dozers, I might believe your statement.

For now, it is just a trade off.

And, we're not even counting the mining, processing, and manufacturing of the batteries. Some of the most environment devastation is done in the 3rd world which most of us don't see.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

free radical wrote:

F... without stinking up the air ...

If I did not have 2 coal burning electricity power plants out my back doorwall, and watch the coal be unloaded from 1000 ft ships, and then pushed by diesel dozers, I might believe your statement.

For now, it is just a trade off.

And, we're not even counting the mining, processing, and manufacturing of the batteries. Some of the most environment devastation is done in the 3rd world which most of us don't see.

Agreed. But that happens with oil and gas too. The difference is an electric car doesn’t burn Alumibum Lithium or Nickel. The first and second life of an EV battery is 20 to 30 years. Then it is recycled. Oil is burned once and it’s gone. Lots of info on the comparative life cycles. The science has been done and can be readily found. One can simply deny the conclusions and the science behind it but at that point it’s no sense in arguing it anymore.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to be horribly argumentative, but if the fist and second life of an EV batter is 20 to 30 years, we've not had time to see the recycling part. So that part seems to be based on speculation.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Not to be horribly argumentative, but if the fist and second life of an EV batter is 20 to 30 years, we've not had time to see the recycling part. So that part seems to be based on speculation.
e

I agree. The second life industry is developing faster than the recycling industry although as you say there isn’t a lot of used EV batteries to process yet. I suspect there will be a whole secondsry industry and technology developed around EV batteries.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

drsteve wrote:

Neither does my truck. What is the point?

Or compare your phone to something to 10 years ago and it may have a bit of improvement.

My point is simple and easy to follow.

Drsteve wrote:

So many people act like the battery and battery charging technology we now have will never get any better, when in fact it improves all the time

The LI battery is almost 30 years old. Let that sink in. The LI battery is THE most CURRENT battery technology we have. It is the BEST we have right now. The very best. Nothing better has came along in almost 30 years! Almost 30 years! Where is all this improvement Time?

Now think about that. It is the best we have and it's VERY expensive and it has only 10% of the power compared to gasoline. 10%!!!

Where is that E Semi with the 15 "gallon tank? Tusk said Semi was going to roll at the end of this year. I said it was not going to happen and nobody wanted to bet me. Good thing. I would have cleaned their clock. [emoticon] Anybody want to be about the 1 million robotaxies by next year? [emoticon]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Five months of ownership: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA1fEY0G........2gMHNIvuFT4UAMsRgEe9s4EyMhGDglcJysEKxsu4

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

The LI battery is almost 30 years old. Let that sink in. The LI battery is THE most CURRENT battery technology we have. It is the BEST we have right now. The very best. Nothing better has came along in almost 30 years! Almost 30 years! Where is all this improvement Time?
You say Li-Ion is unchanged in 30 years?

Read some wiki.

And my F150 still will not run all day one one fill up. Apparently there have been no improvements in 50+ years of Ford building a pick-up. [emoticon]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

You say Li-Ion is unchanged in 30 years?

Read some wiki.

And my F150 still will not run all day one one fill up. Apparently there have been no improvements in 50+ years of Ford building a pick-up. [emoticon]

In 2010 the Nissan Leaf came out with 120 km of range. 9 years later the Nissan Leaf with the same dimensions now has 380 km of range....and it’s cheaper...and faster...and quieter...and much better acceleration. Yep. No improvement at all. Lol.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is the EV transformation of the market over hyped ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS