RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is the EV transformation of the market over hyped ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is the EV transformation of the market over hyped ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not going to find a "ton" of savings. Although for plugging in... direct fuel cost should be cut in half or more on the electric miles.

Hybrid does not save on service.

Comparisons I see are ICE vs pure EV and over time the EV can win. Still not a ton of savings. Initial price tends to be the hurdle. Used EVs do seem to come at an especially good price.

Many people fall in love with the smooth quiet effortless electric miles and move to a pure EV. Plenty others see just one more level of complexity, no savings and go back to ICE.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$22 k base model ice, $32 k everything but the kitchen sink; $45 k base model Bev, $55 k everything but the kitchen sink.

Reisender wrote:

That’s actually a good way of comparing the two. I don’t know about Kona prices though Don. What kind of difference is there.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

$22 k base model ice, $32 k everything but the kitchen sink; $45 k base model Bev, $55 k everything but the kitchen sink.

Reisender wrote:

That’s actually a good way of comparing the two. I don’t know about Kona prices though Don. What kind of difference is there.

Yah that kinda confirms that. I suppose for the right commuter it would “pay off” but it would take years.

I assume all your numbers are Canadian currency. A Nissan Leaf and a Nissan Murano are similar vehicles. Seems to be about 8000 bucks difference between similar trim lines. For us the 8000 bucks would be worth it but our budget may be better than some. We like new tech and tend to trade off every 5 to 6 years.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Not going to find a "ton" of savings. Although for plugging in... direct fuel cost should be cut in half or more on the electric miles.

Hybrid does not save on service.

Comparisons I see are ICE vs pure EV and over time the EV can win. Still not a ton of savings. Initial price tends to be the hurdle. Used EVs do seem to come at an especially good price.

Many people fall in love with the smooth quiet effortless electric miles and move to a pure EV. Plenty others see just one more level of complexity, no savings and go back to ICE.

I think the savings thing kinda depends where you are. If you live where gas is cheap and power is expensive the savings could be very little. Where we live gas is expensive and power is cheap. Commuting by EV is about an 1/8th of the cost of gas here.

At this point generally speaking it’s hard to justify buying an EV from the annual saving point of view. At least in my opinion.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Yah that kinda confirms that. I suppose for the right commuter it would “pay off” but it would take years.

I assume all your numbers are Canadian currency. A Nissan Leaf and a Nissan Murano are similar vehicles. Seems to be about 8000 bucks difference between similar trim lines. For us the 8000 bucks would be worth it but our budget may be better than some. We like new tech and tend to trade off every 5 to 6 years.

lol, similar as in same badge on the grille. Compare price to a Versa...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Reisender wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Reisender wrote:

lol, similar as in same badge on the grille. Compare price to a Versa...

Might be a regional thing. Here you can’t get a Versa with propilot, rear cross traffic warning, 360 camera view, heated steering wheel etc and on and on and on. A versa also has about half the cargo room. Quite a bit louder. Zero to sixty of around 11 seconds for a Versa vice 6.5 for a Leaf e-plus. Not to mention all the remote app features for a Leaf. I’m not sure a Versa is available in leather. Maybe. One of the neighbours has one. Nice little car. Too small for us.

A Murano SL is comparable in features to a Leaf SL. Even similar inside. We only looked at the SL. Not sure about the others.

gitane59

Ontario, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one has mentioned road construction or maintenance funding. I have not read or heard a single thing about how road funding will be generated from the all electricity used to recharge all the million's of EV passenger car's and EV commercial truck's that will be charged at homes and commercial location's in some peoples near future. ICE fuel tax is or should be directed towards road construction and maintenance,but how do you isolate and tax only those pesky little electron's flowing into batteries of personal or commercial vehicles at home and business into road maintenance and construction.
Our road funding budget's are dropping as less fuel tax is collected due to increasing ICE fuel economy even though the number of vehicles on the road is increasing and look at the condition of our road's everywhere. They are getting poorer and poorer.
How will government's with all the pressures to spend our tax dollars here, there and everywhere be incentivized to spend want is needed on our road infrastructure.
I know. More big brother. I will automatically get a bill each month based on the mileage driven as sent to the government by my vehicle, the weight of my vehicle and the calculated energy used.
That is if I am even allowed to actually own a vehicle. Some futurist's believe personal vehicle ownership will be outlawed and we will all be riding in government owned autonomous personal communicator app called rideshare vehicles.
What a future!!!

* This post was edited 08/24/19 07:01am by gitane59 *

2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My state charges an additional fee for annual road registration if you own a BEV. They are testing GPS trackers which actually log how many miles you travel within the state - Now that’s big brother watching you since they can tell where and when you are at any time.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

My state charges an additional fee for annual road registration if you own a BEV. They are testing GPS trackers which actually log how many miles you travel within the state - Now that’s big brother watching you since they can tell where and when you are at any time.
Plus tell how long it took you to get there. Then they can just stick that speeding ticket in there along with everything else.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gitane59 wrote:

No one has mentioned road construction or maintenance funding. I have not read or heard a single thing about how road funding will be generated from the all electricity used to recharge all the million's of EV passenger car's and EV commercial truck's that will be charged at homes and commercial location's in some peoples near future.
Maybe not in this thread yet but has been discussed ad nauseum in other posts.

Personally I think the roads can be maintained through general income and sales taxes as they are a bit more progressive. Petrol tax can be shifted to cleaning up the environment.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is the EV transformation of the market over hyped ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS