|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I hate dinettes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 01:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have and use a dinette. But I will concede that the foam on the cushions is sub par and smashes down to almost nothing.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 02:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fixed the problem of the squishy foam used by the manufacturer. I took the foam from one of the cushion bottoms down to the local foam store. I asked for and got the best foam they had, and had them cut two to fix the cover.

Made such a huge difference. Unfortunately, the sofa foam is another story. It's a much more complicated foam cut, and haven't tackled it yet.

Back to the dinette for a moment. I left the original foam in the back rest cushions. They are fine with no more pressure than they get.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have removed the dinette in two RV'S. Both had a dinette and jack knife sofa in a super slide, I took out both. I put in a comfortable leather sofa and recliner in there place. I use tv trays that adjust to height when I need to eat inside. This works well for me but others have there own needs.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely a waste of space. They need convertible tables that vanish and comfortable Captain's chairs or couches instead.

Worst thing about my TC is absolutely the dinette taking up valuable space and making it so there is nowhere comfortable to sit.

Abolish dinettes now!!

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a choice when we ordered our coach... free standing table and chairs or dinette.... we got the dinette as that is what we like. It's comfortable, serves it's purpose and gives us extra storage under the seats.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was raised with the idea of eating while sitting at a table. I even find that restaurants provide the same accommodations. I am not sure how you eat without using a table. Do you balance your plate on your stomach? What about a glasses, silverware and soup or salad plates? Or do you just stand up and eat with your hands instead of silverware?

Anyway I have never had any issues sitting at a table. When camping I end the day sitting at the dinette reading, working on my laptop or just resting.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a smaller TT at 17'. If my wife and I sit in the TT due to weather or bugs, we eat our meals and play board games at the dinette. Yes the cushions suck but we are getting them replaced soon. We like the dinette. Most of the time, we are outside enjoying nature and friends.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our previous Class C had a comfy dinette, IMO. But the table took up a lot of space in a no-slideout RV. I built a little 2' x 2' "cafe table" to replace the big table and it made the RV feel roomier, yet still gave space for a laptop (or a meal!)

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you remove your dinette, try a couple of trips without using the storage provided by the dinette seat bases. When you consider the loss of storage you may want to reconsider the dinette.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I was raised with the idea of eating while sitting at a table. I even find that restaurants provide the same accommodations. I am not sure how you eat without using a table. Do you balance your plate on your stomach? What about a glasses, silverware and soup or salad plates? Or do you just stand up and eat with your hands instead of silverware?

Not at all! Our 192RBS came with a fold up table which we quickly ditched for an easier to manage folding table from Wally world. We put it in front of the couch to eat when we est inside. We bought 2 folding chairs so we can play cards (facing each other) or 4 can use it to eat. Everything folds and stores quickly and easily and is more comfortable than any dinette I've seen.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I hate dinettes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS