RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Does my full-time TC plan seem reasonable?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Does my full-time TC plan seem reasonable?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You certainly can expect a new Arctic Fox to last that long if you do your part..As far as your off grid in the NW,how far off grid?..In Idaho off grid usually means that cell service is spotty at best if needed for your work...

Full timing in a TC for a single guy is a piece of cake.Unlike a trailer or fifth wheel,you can take you home just about anywhere and when you pullover,that's home know matter where...

I have full timed in all the classes of RV and found the 24ft Class C to work best for the four of us..Went most everywhere we wanted and the easiest to just park and be home way back in the hills...

Good luck and enjoy

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

Best advice is check out the county building fees and permit costs before buying in any county. Some are so restrictive and full of the fees they cost more than the entire framing package, including the roof structure. I've seen it.

No doubt, due to the rising popularity of "off grid homesteading" as spurred on by various reality television shows over the years. The ones that are already there, moved there so they wouldn't have "neighbors" and now people who saw a TV show are moving in all around...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

Best advice is check out the county building fees and permit costs before buying in any county.

Some are so restrictive and full of the fees they cost more than the entire framing package, including the roof structure. I've seen it.

Next is to get a travel trailer and bring that to the property while building. They are cheaper and bigger inside for what you need. This leaves the truck free for chasing materials and products you'll need.

Good advice.
"Developing property" which is what you propose, can be daunting, depending on what county you choose.
And believe me - you will be considered a "developer" in the worst sense of the word - if you choose the wrong property. Choosing a camper will pale in comparison.
Don't let your day dream turn into a nightmare.

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep the county tried to figure out a way to charge me $1500 just for a driveway permit. Heck that's almost 5 loads of gravel needed right there. Explaining that I'm coming off an existing easement driveway already started from the county road years ago, they said okay 500 bucks then. That is still excessive and I feel is wrong.

The county gravel road we drive to get their (serves at least 15 other homes) does not even meet the standards they are trying to impose on me.

* This post was edited 07/10/19 09:04am by covered wagon *

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of permit fees are based on value of the project.
One way to lower the fee is act as "owner-builder" and as project value put material only cost.

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. It's not reasonable.

Truck campers are the most expensive RV's per size/cubic volume. Their advantage is mobility. They are smaller than most and can take rough roads or smaller parking placing than other RV's.

Since your's will be mostly parked, you are far better off with a travel trailer or Class C. Either will give you a better living space. And save you money up front.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whizbang wrote:

No. It's not reasonable.

Truck campers are the most expensive RV's per size/cubic volume. Their advantage is mobility. They are smaller than most and can take rough roads or smaller parking placing than other RV's.

Since your's will be mostly parked, you are far better off with a travel trailer or Class C. Either will give you a better living space. And save you money up front.

Brand new your 100% correct but used not so much...Used TC's around here are better priced than most of the of the other RV's and are suited for use just as you mentioned.

In my opinion anytime anyone buys a new RV(any class) they take a big hit financially where a good used or barely used unit does not take that hit because it already has...

Used travel trailers around here are over priced because that's what the majority wants where as truck campers are more for people that just need or think they want one and there not in demand as a used trailer therefor cheaper..

I would never buy new when so many are just barely used and the seller is ready to take the loss to move on.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did y’all miss the part where the OP said he’d be traveling between 6mo and however long? For moving around all the time a TC is an advantage if the size is ok for him.
Yes TT wold be better, parked at the lot since the house project is 3-5 years??? (That’s a long time to build a house. If you don’t have the money, don’t start. And if you do, don’t fck around and get it built.)
So which is better overall? Flip a coin.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Most of permit fees are based on value of the project.
One way to lower the fee is act as "owner-builder" and as project value put material only cost.

Not true..... you have to check the county fee lists. some are like dealing with the mafia except they are legal in their right to collect.

I've seen 18,000 bucks for the paper work and still climbing. Owner finally gave up with their unreasonable restrictions imposed on the job.

Like I said we are doing a rural job right now where the fees to the county totals more than all the framing materials including deck framing, roof trusses. I might add that we are not using OSB, we are using real plywood.

Since 1985.... never ever have seen this before. These are the facts and don't want to be deleted so I won't post my real feelings about it.

Your better off with a travel trailer for room to store supplies and some allow up to 400 sq. ft. accessory building w/o a permit if on acreage. Jus depends on county or city. Generally speaking the more rural the county the better it will be for you expense wise. And counties are better than city or town limits.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

new2this44 wrote:

This is very much a lifestyle question, possibly too broad for this forum. My apologies if so.

I am a single guy in my 30's. I work from home. My dream is to have an off-grid homestead in the Pacific Northwest. Although somewhat familiar, I don't know the landscape well enough to ascertain where the right location is for me.

My plan is to sell my car, get a gas dually + Arctic Fox, and hit the road. When I find the right land (6 months? A year? Longer? doesn't really matter) I will build a cabin at my own pace while living in the TC.

My questions:

- Is it reasonable to expect a new Arctic Fox to withstand full-time living for 3-5 years?

- I doubt I'll have much use for the TC once the cabin is complete. I would be happy to buy a cabin/tiny house/ etc right away instead of building. Should I scrap the TC and rent an apartment for (X) months, then buy a home? I've never purchased property before so I guess I'm asking...is it reasonable to expect living in a TC will give me a more intimate feel for such a rural area?

Thank you in advance for any reassurances. This is the biggest decision of my life...I don't want to screw it up hehhe.

Id say go for it if thats what you want.
Ive done exactly same thing,bought 3 acres and built my own log house,
Using stackwall construction.
If I did it today I would use Structural Concrete panels

https://tridipanel.com/tech-specs/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Does my full-time TC plan seem reasonable?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS