RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Does my full-time TC plan seem reasonable?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Does my full-time TC plan seem reasonable?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy.

I don't post here as much as I use to. But your post seemed genuine.

I am currently in my 12th year of fulltiming. Meaning I do not own any other property as I sold everything/gave things away and took off in a Truck Camper.

Yes, you can full time in a truck camper, for all the reasons that have been shared before. But you could live much cheaper in getting a different RV that would also provide you more room and comfort than a Truck Camper. You didn't really spend a lot of time sharing you wish to travel while establishing your future place of residence. For that reason, I would share in considering a travel trailer, which would be cheaper and easy to dispose of at a later time.

Having power, heat and food storage will be a challenge as all these areas have small capacities.

I wish you good luck in what you are contemplating.

b

08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious, why have you selected a truck camper?

Many here use a TC so they can either tow a trailer (boat or cargo) and still have a camper, or they want some off-road ability, or for some reason need a motorhome style rig if a trailer is too long for their locations (and maybe don't want to pay insurance on a motor home plus a personal vehicle).

We just have to assume you have reasons for wanting a TC.

For living in full time there is nothing better than a towed camper (trailer or 5th wheel). Trailers are very easy to unhook and hook up compared to a TC, so you can get to a location, drop trailer and have unfettered truck to drive around in. When you do get land, just park trailer and live as long as you want in it.

Trailers will have more than double the storage, more water capacity usually also, and easier to get in and out of.

Trailers will not put any stress on your truck tires, springs or axles since it carries its own weight. For multi-year full timing this is a consideration.

When you break down, and likely you will if on the road full-time, then easier to drop a trailer in the mechanic's lot than a TC so truck can fit into their bay- anyone can figure out how to unhook a trailer, a TC could end in disaster if you are not there…

What you are planning sounds like you will use it as a motorhome, so why not just get a motorhome? Reason #1 is that vans suck to work on under the hood unless you can find a truck chassis motorhome… But motorhomes will have a lot more storage. Downfall of motorhome is if motor breaks down then your home goes into the shop too.

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a truck camper for the ground clearance off road and so I can tow my boat or small enclosed bike garage trailer. Or use the truck as a flatbed 1 ton with the camper unloaded.

Another option is building out an enclosed trailer using some equipment that can be used in your cabin in the future. Give you some practice configuring your living spaces, solar electric etc. Maybe you already own a vehicle that can tow one.

Sounds like a nice project.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a blast! I'd love to do the same thing. But I'm betting you just binge watched 1 too many episodes of Alaska Bush People.
Good luck have fun, follow your dream. But please do not collect any government assistance while doing it.

The brand of camper and truck are the last piece to your puzzle, so presuming the rest is figured out, then yes an AF camper will last you a few years, not unlike any other brand.
However I'm betting you have far more unanswered questions that you may need to answer before heading out.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest to go to You Tube and look up Taylor Dzaman he is doing basically what you are talking about doing, he has a Chevrolet or GMC gas pickup with an Arctic Fox. He goes through the financial aspect, along with why he made the choices he made. He recently got a Girl Friend and he goes through some of that... but I think he is pretty much a honest guy and does not seem to be bias toward any certain aspect. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYzxEJsvn0S_JVYkZx5UAFQ

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My father retired some time ago and sold everything except his tools and furniture. He bought a brand new 30 foot bounder and towed a small car behind him with the intent to go full-time. He lasted 5 months and bought a lot in Rome NY just outside the city, put a trailer on it and bought the biggest most beautiful shed I've ever seen.. After setting him up as far as living quarters were concerned I asked "so what happened?" He said, you need to go home, you need your stuff, your memories and your family. None of that is on the road. He said! Just thought I'd post that. I think you have the rite idea of it being temporarily permanent. Good luck!!!
Joe

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't say anything about having any experiance with RVing/Camping. I would suggest you go rent a RV of some kind just to get a idea of what it is like. I think there are some places on the west coast that even rent truck campers with truck setup. You are talking about spending a lot of money so try it out first.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:

/// He said, you need to go home, you need your stuff, your memories and your family. None of that is on the road….
Joe

You will miss your stuff, and having stuff in a big place where you can get to it and use it freely. I don't mean stuffed animals or figurines. My big tools, welder, saws, work bench are all non-towable for me. All my camper work and mods are done at home where I can work on things.
Your stuff

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:

… He said, you need to go home, you need your stuff, your memories and your family. None of that is on the road….
Joe

You will miss your stuff, and having stuff in a big place where you can get to it and use it freely. I don't mean stuffed animals or figurines. My big tools, welder, saws, work bench are all non-towable for me;my metal scrap pile, my assorted left-over wood pieces, boxes of random bolts n things that date back to before I was born, . All my camper work and mods are done at home where I can work on things.
Your stuff

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best advice is check out the county building fees and permit costs before buying in any county. Some are so restrictive and full of the fees they cost more than the entire framing package, including the roof structure. I've seen it.

Next is to get a travel trailer and bring that to the property while building. They are cheaper and bigger inside for what you need. This leaves the truck free for chasing materials and products you'll need.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Does my full-time TC plan seem reasonable?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS