|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan hot hot hot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
onrecess

Boca Raton, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been drom FL to Michigan and almost baxk home in the last couple of weeks. I now shut off the air conditioners for 5 minutes before shutoff for fuel. It starts up, though I do have to hold prime 20 seconds or it starts, sputters, and dies. I think there is a slight vapor lock, but it is fine after priming brings in some fuel.
I ran in 90+ temps a lot, and 97 in Mich. Never had a single problem. Map40 abd Down The Avenue hit it right on the nose. Letting it run for a few minutes without ac cools it down enough that a prime gets it restarted every time.

Tom Anderson
2005 GeorgieBoy 35

CoachFiver

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I ran my sheet metal deflector this weekend, it did help. Temp was high 80's, high humidity with no shade. Generator ran for approximately 2.5-3 hours and then shut down. Took off front cover and scorching hot. Again opened small bolt on fuel bowl, no fuel in bowl. Touched fuel pump, and it is much cooler than before. The area that is under generator where intake cavity is, is much cooler using the deflector. But we are still either vapor locking or control board is getting too hot and shutting off fuel flow. Next plan is to heat tape rubber fuel line where it passes right next to the exhaust side of the generator. When doing some additional testing, the right side of the generator(exhaust side) is where the most extreme heat is coming from while running.(of course that makes sense) And that is where the fuel line connects. In fact the connection of the fuel line is literally a couple inches from the exhaust pipe as it drops down thru the bottom of the generator. Will have to try to get a picture of it with cover off.

apr67

Tallahassee, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CoachFiver wrote:

But we are still either vapor locking or control board is getting too hot and shutting off fuel flow.

What I did to ensure it wasn't the control board. I ran a hot wire from positive to the fuel pump directly. The control board no longer had any power to start or stop the fuel pump. I had the same failure still so I know its not the control board.

When doing this test you have to have a fuse inline, and I put it outside the gen box so I could grab the fuse and pull it quickly to kill the pump. You must be judicious to quickly kill the pump when the generator dies or when you turn it off.

Personally the fuel pump seems to be in a very bad location, it gets no airflow and remains really freaking hot. I might add a 12v muffin fan to get some air to it.

2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

apr67

Tallahassee, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy this:

026-00495 SIDE AIR DISCHARGE

https://sleequipment.com/onan-genuine-part-026-00495-mounting-kit-onan.html

Onan also has one that pushes the hot air towards the back of the generator.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan hot hot hot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS