|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mommalu

Mpls. MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, be patient with me I belong on the A forum. The last 4 outings with our 32' gas Jayco Precept the wind has been 24 mph or greater.
I have the CDL love big vehicles and its my happy place to drive, However on the last outings my very DH uttered feelings I must explore. "This beast is NOT a road machine, everything needs to be planned & calculated, remember when we used to get in the car and just drive?"
We are planning to replace our F150 and DH thought bigger truck and then a camper might bring back the spontaneity we once had with travel.
My question is can any truck be set up for a truck camper, we're thinking 350 crew cab 6'6" bed gas 4x4 SWD. We typically find gently used vehicles, haven't seen any used with the camper option on them.
Also will we need to improve handling with after market products? We have added $4000 for the nasty F53 chassis which we will keep, we used it 45 days last year with week-end only state parks. It has its place just not a get in and drive for 2 weeks kind of vehicle. We're 10 years from retirement, have 6 weeks vacation so thinking its time for mad dashes thru the US and Canada, hoping a truck camper will meet that desire. Hubby not interested in a van or small C.
What are your thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short bed and SRW will drastically lower your camper choices and moving from 32' ClassA I doubt your wife will be happy with them.
Also new Fords 4x4 are pretty high, what not only adds steps to get to the camper, but issues with jacks length.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

with the SRW you will pretty much be limited to the smaller lighter truck campers with less space and options. Essentially truck campers are heavy and you will exceed the tire load capacity unless you upgrade to commercial 19.5 wheels and tires. A dually in a long bed configuration gives you the most camper choices. Best advice is to find a camper that you both like first then shop for a truck that is capable of carrying it.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Mommalu

Mpls. MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand the weight concerns, but truck will be a daily used vehicle and a dually does not appeal to either one of us, so its SWD.
Looking at campers for 150/1500's, just want A/C & furnace, hot water heater, shower big enough to get my elbows out to wash my hair, queen bed, double burner stove, 5 cf fridge.
This will be used where it's a different campground every night, tanks dumped & water added every morning so amenities tank size not so much a concern.
We are keeping the motorhome for extended stays.

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mommalu wrote:

I understand the weight concerns, but truck will be a daily used vehicle and a dually does not appeal to either one of us,

I had that line of thought for the last several years. Kept chasing good money after bad (suspension upgrades, 19.5" wheels/tires, etc) to make my daily driver SRW handle a DRW load. Recently picked up a DRW and have no idea why I waited so long. Both my wife and I are finding my new truck very easy to drive and I think the worries I had about a DRW were unfounded. I suggest you at least test drive one before you rule it out.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO/AISIN 4x4 CCLB DRW | 2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB
Random musings (blog): https://www.lifeenroute.com

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are short bed campers that will work fine on a 1 ton SB SRW. Lance makes 3 or 4 units like that. Adventurer 80 RB would be an option. Bigfoot 1500 series are well made.

Lot's of great options for a lightweight short bed truck.

Without the dually I would look for a non slide unit to keep the weight down. You will also most likely be dealing with a wet bath which can be a little more cramped than a dry shower. You will need to go see them and try them out.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't need camper option, just make sure you load within payload capacity and you will be fine. Don't listen to anyone who encourages overloading any truck.

If you want a slide truck camper, don't bother with an srw truck.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Looking at campers for 150/1500's

These trucks are not really made for carrying campers. Just about any hardwall camper with the features you describe will be pushing the limits of a 150/1500.
With popup campers there are more to choose from.
Do not trust the dry weights stated by camper manufacturers. They are often just for a bare camper shell, without battery, LPG, any extras, your stuff, ...
Whatever you decide to do, make a realistic weight calculation - do not be overly optimistic.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

Quote:

Looking at campers for 150/1500's

These trucks are not really made for carrying campers. Just about any hardwall camper with the features you describe will be pushing the limits of a 150/1500.
With popup campers there are more to choose from.
Do not trust the dry weights stated by camper manufacturers. They are often just for a bare camper shell, without battery, LPG, any extras, your stuff, ...
Whatever you decide to do, make a realistic weight calculation - do not be overly optimistic.

From the OP's first post

OP is looking for a 1 ton SRW to replace the 150 not a camper for their 150.

I think in the follow up post they mean that they are looking at light campers marketed for 1/2 tons but will be putting it on a 1 ton. There are a number of "half ton" campers being marketed now. There suitability on a half ton may be up for discussion but they should certainly be fine on a 1 ton truck.

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your bound and determined to go SRW truck then look at a Northstar TC. If your bound and determined to go with a 150/1500 truck, then look at a Four Wheeler Granby/Hawk pop up camper.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.