|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I don't subscribe to the gvwr paranoia like some folks do, 1/2 ton truck and what you're presumably looking forward to in a full featured TC do not mix unless you're getting a very minimal, mostly popup models, short, small camper.
If you want you cake and eat it too, find 1 ton single wheel truck and it will or can be equipped to haul the majority of the popular truck campers on the market.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

While I don't subscribe to the gvwr paranoia like some folks do, 1/2 ton truck and what you're presumably looking forward to in a full featured TC do not mix unless you're getting a very minimal, mostly popup models, short, small camper.
If you want you cake and eat it too, find 1 ton single wheel truck and it will or can be equipped to haul the majority of the popular truck campers on the market.

From the OP:

We are planning to replace our F150 and DH thought bigger truck and then a camper might bring back the spontaneity we once had with travel.
My question is can any truck be set up for a truck camper, we're thinking 350 crew cab 6'6" bed gas 4x4 SWD.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@work2much: what you say is correct, but so is the quote at the beginning of my post saying they are looking for campers for half ton trucks.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

W2M, yes she originally said that then her next post said...

"Looking at campers for 150/1500's, just want A/C & furnace, hot water heater, shower big enough to get my elbows out to wash my hair, queen bed, double burner stove, 5 cf fridge."

I don't make the rules bud, but I usually read past the first post before letting my fingers do the talkin!

Idk, maybe she's looking for a "larger 150/1500", who knows.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

W2M, yes she originally said that then her next post said...

"Looking at campers for 150/1500's, just want A/C & furnace, hot water heater, shower big enough to get my elbows out to wash my hair, queen bed, double burner stove, 5 cf fridge."

I don't make the rules bud, but I usually read past the first post before letting my fingers do the talkin!

Idk, maybe she's looking for a "larger 150/1500", who knows.

Maybe the OP will clarify but I took it to mean that for justification of not getting a dually one ton for a new/used truck they were looking at campers designed for SRW trucks with less capacity.

They didn't say looking for a camper for our 150 which they have currently. The OP has a 150 now, why would they state looking for campers for 150/1500. I believe they are describing a type of camper that would fit a half ton, but not for their current truck which they are looking to replace.

It seems clear to me after reading all of her posts that they are considering buying a used 1 ton SB SRW truck and looking for a lightweight camper such that would work on a 1/2 ton to keep weight down since they don't want a dually or a longbed

And I did read all the posts that preceded my comments. That is what formed my opinion that they are asking about 1 ton SRW SB trucks and in the follow top clarifying something that would fit a half ton (and certainly a 1 ton)

But I guess there is room for misinterpretations as the follow up post wasn't worded completely clearly

Maybe another post from the OP would help.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Putting a TC on a 1500 series truck just really isn't possible despite what anybody's marketing department might say.
There are campers for a short bed but there are about 20 times more campers for a long bed.
Go look at campers, check their weights, look at the capabilities of a SRW, maybe it will work.
If you want a good TC experience get a dually.

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I interpreted the OP as saying they are looking for a basic camper that may be marketed for a 1500 but they are planning on putting it on a larger truck. In 2017 we traveled over 10,000 miles with our Ram 2500 2WD and an Adventurer 80RB (2480 lbs loaded) and the stock truck with only a Hellwig sway bar performed flawlessly.

We now have a slightly heavier (and better equipped) Travel Lite 840 SBRX (2600 lbs loaded) and I just added a mid grade set of airbags today.

As others have said, half tons typically have pretty small payload capacities and secondly, manufacturer published weights are often times a base weight that is meaningless. There are a few companies that publish the actual weight on a separate sticker inside the cabin as well as the base weight on the outside.

Our Ram 2500HD with the 6.4L Hemi has a payload capacity of 3575 lbs so there's some opportunities out there. The wheels and tires are well beyond the 10K lb GVWR.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Short bed and SRW will drastically lower your camper choices . . .
Buzzcut1 wrote:

with the SRW you will pretty much be limited to the smaller lighter truck campers with less space and options . . .
I disagree. Granted, the largest campers (i.e., 1xxx series Lance and AF with slides) are much more suitable for a DRW due to their weight. However, not everyone wants or needs a slide. There is a huge assortment of full-featured, hard-side, non-slide, 9-9.5 ft., short-bed campers from every manufacturer that work just fine on a SB SRW.

Agree, in terms of raw payload capability, you cannot beat a DRW. However, it doesn't take much searching to find a late model SB SRW with over 4k of payload. That's more payload than some old-school DRW's. In any case, for those of us who may use their trucks for a lot more than hauling a camper, a SB SRW is a very nice compromise that offers less length & width (easier parking & access, less HOA restrictions, etc.), shorter wheelbase (better maneuverability), while still offering ~75% of the payload of a DRW.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@OP,
Go out to TC dealers and look at campers. Put aside (for the moment as to the truck that can haul it)... decide on what features you like and want and weigh (literally and figurative) the options. Stepping down in size from a MH to a TC is sorta' drastic.
JMHO.

Mommalu

Mpls. MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you one and all for your responses, good to know we don't need to find a used 1 ton with the camper option on it.
As for the camper we believe we want to be well under the GVWR for the truck.
Our experience with the 150 hauling landscape rock, dirt, and mulch is that it was never designed to haul series weight for a great duration without after market upgrades. A yard of rock demonstrates this clearly that a 150 truck is for those week-end chores, its simply not a work truck. But I enjoy mine for all those weekend projects, it tow's a good size trailer nicely and with the 4x4 I can virtually drive through 8" of snow and climb the hill to get into the garage. But under no circumstance would we ever put a camper on it or tow a 5th wheel, thats work for a bigger truck. But again this is my opinion from my experience with its handling, braking and ride with landscape materials. Thanks again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.