RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Running Air Conditioner Via Inverter while Towing/Driving

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Running Air Conditioner Via Inverter while Towing/Driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote: "Don’t doubt a determined fabricator."

Somehow, . . . . . . I believe you! There could be a new reality TV show here somewhere. I've always liked people with an attitude like yours. Make America Great Again! (Re)Build it from the ground up.

Chum lee

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

You must be delusional. The OP has a GRAND CHEROKEE, NOT a Truck. Besides, I want YOU in front of me if I rear end you with 10 gallons of gasoline sticking out the back of your truck. I would bet, Having Gasoline mounted like you have must be a violation of some Law, as long as being plain stupid. Ever hear of the Ford Pinto[emoticon] Doug

You know what blather like this always sounds like to me?

ENCOURAGEMENT!

Thanks old man.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Ever hear of the Ford Pinto[emoticon] Doug

Ever hear of “facts”? Look up the actual real-life crash data.

Ford built a little over 3 million Pinto's over the 10 years the car was in production, there was 117 lawsuits brought against Ford over the Pinto in total, and NOT all of those lawsuits were ‘the real McCoy’, a large number of them were ‘nuisance suits’.

Years after the fiasco blew over, UCLA law professor Gary T. Schwartz in a Rutgers Law Review article found that the incidence of Pinto deaths represented 1.9% of all "fatal accidents accompanied by some fire."

The Pinto also accounted for that same 1.9% of all cars on the road at the time. Implying the car was average for all cars and slightly above average for its class.

Yet people still think of a Pinto as a "death trap".

Urban myth and and ‘I knows it!!’ versus reality, reality wins EVERY time.

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Am I reading that comment backwards, or did you mean to say that urban myth wins over reality? Similar issue with the Corvair. Its handling problems got fixed and it was a good car, but was unsellable because of its pre-fix reputation.

If I may, an old joke: The worst place to be is stuck in a toll booth with a Pinto in front of you and an Audi (unintended acceleration reputation) behind you.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

map40

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 6 6v batteries and a brand new 3000w inverter and did EXACTLY THAT. Even with a Cat C7 and the batteries topped off (brand new batteries) I get 20-25 minutes and the inverter starts beeping. 35-40 minutes after that, it shuts down, batteries are down to 40%. Basically, not worth it. A HF 3500w generator is 699. Cheaper, easier, better.

Alfa SeeYa, 2015 Jayco XL31, 2015 Itasca XL31, 2012 CA 25, 2008 CA 28. RV with most millage: 312K miles on a V10
Life rocks when your home rolls

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

Am I reading that comment backwards, or did you mean to say that urban myth wins over reality?

Nope, it’s correct. People can believe and spread the urban myths all they like, but that doesn’t change the reality of the matter.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a fun fact. The FIRST Major Lawsuit against the Pinto was filed by the Elkhart County District Attorney back in the 70's. He alleged Ford was liable because 3 young girls died in a rear end FIRE when a motorist rear ended their Pinto on a hi way. YES, Elkhart, Indiana where the majority of RV's are made. Elkhart won. Ford DID build a defective tank system, and the Retrofit recall(adding a Bladder to the fuel tank) was too little too late. Ford did its best to HIDE the fact of the fuel tank design and THAT was what caused Ford to lose Lawsuits. It WAS a Bad/dangerous design and the recall did fix the issue. But, with bad publicity, Ford had to drop the Pinto. Publicity that FORD CAUSED. he Corvair is a different type of design defect and was corrected by GM. But, too late to stop the decline is sales. Doug

PS, The design of that Truck is not what I take issue with. It was the fact that he thought a Grand Cherokee could be done the same way. I don't want Fuel cylinders or LP tanks mounted on the rear of vehicles. In Texas, ANY LP fuel cylinder mounted on the REAR of a vehicle is against State Law.

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad - Thanks for the explanation. Sometimes I can interpret the same thing two ways. This discussion reminds me of the gas tank in my mom's 1971 Ford Torino. The floor of the trunk was the top of the gas tank, and looking at it I thought the tank was actually a structural member of the car (I could be wrong, that's what it looked like to me). It seemed obvious to me that a rear end or rear quarter collision could easily split the tank. I never heard of any problems with it, it just looked like dangerous design to me. A fuel tank hanging on the rear of a vehicle gives me the same feeling.

* This post was edited 07/09/19 01:40pm by road-runner *

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 05 Ford F350 had dual alternators but only a 20 amp, big fuse, under the hood for the line to the Fifth Wheel or trailer or whatever you were towing. The wire was at least ten gauge, best I remember. I don't remember if both alternators worked together for the total load. One was 140 amp and the other 160 amp but I won't swear to it. Dealer let battery in RV go dead and tried to jack the Fifth Wheel up from the truck via the plug in. I installed heavy wiring instead of the meager stuff and plug found most commonly. It blew that big fuse and had a time finding one that day. Perhaps 5o amps or that motor, was required. I don't know if it would operate the a/c down the road or not. Someone do the electrical math. It can be done with large enough alternator and wiring or twin alternators. It is illegal for someone to ride in the Fifth Wheel or Trailer while being told, I read on these forums years ago though, if that is your thoughts.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Our 05 Ford F350 had dual alternators but only a 20 amp, big fuse, under the hood for the line to the Fifth Wheel or trailer or whatever you were towing. The wire was at least ten gauge, best I remember. I don't remember if both alternators worked together for the total load. One was 140 amp and the other 160 amp but I won't swear to it. Dealer let battery in RV go dead and tried to jack the Fifth Wheel up from the truck via the plug in. I installed heavy wiring instead of the meager stuff and plug found most commonly. It blew that big fuse and had a time finding one that day. Perhaps 5o amps or that motor, was required. I don't know if it would operate the a/c down the road or not. Someone do the electrical math. It can be done with large enough alternator ,at least two big batteries and preferable four and wiring or twin alternators. It is illegal for someone to ride in the Fifth Wheel or Trailer while being told, I read on these forums years ago though, if that is your thoughts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Running Air Conditioner Via Inverter while Towing/Driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS