|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Replacing Tires on my GMC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlie D. wrote:

pitch wrote:

Because the OP only got 20000 miles out of a set of tires. Seems to me that the only criteria GM used was to put four round black things under the truck and send it down the road.

I like Coopers myself! Got a set with better than 50k on them and still going strong.

I think that can be said of all manufacturers. What type Coopers? I did not get the same performance with Cooper's.

Discoverer AT3 in 17" on a ram 1500. 53k and change about 10/12k towing a 5 thousand lb tt and a small utility.

I don't know, driving style road temperature, type of road?
I am a very conservative driver, almost 0 freeway driving, state hiways and town roads, temperate Northeast as opposed to very hot Texas?

BigToe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

captbru wrote:

I'm just looking for a good set of tires, not what did you due wrong to cause the tires to wear down.

A good set of tires for you might be different than a good set of tires for another person. Operating environment and driving style can be significant factors to take into consideration when choosing a tire whose balance of characteristics is biased toward longer survival or more favorable performance when subjected to a particular type of environment or driving style.

The advice dispensed on an open forum is free of financial charge, but not free in terms of the courtesy tendered to receive it. Biting the hand that feeds, when that hand is merely trying to assess the facts of the operating environment and driving style that might inform a better choice of tire... is not likely going to encourage that hand to followup with another morsel, regardless of the data provided.

If all tires were just simple round black things, rather than a tricky balance of sometimes mutually exclusive characteristics, including, but not limited to dry traction, wet traction, low noise, fuel economy, tread life, carrying capacity, roll stability, directional control, scuff resistance, stone ejection, hydroplane resistance, heat rejection, snow performance, regulatory conformance, ride quality, and let's not forget cost... then there wouldn't be so many brands, types, and offerings in the tire industry.

The very characteristics that make one tire perform optimally in one parameter, can make that same tire perform dismally in another. Therefore, there is no perfect tire. The ideal tire is the tire that best meets a balance of traits that prioritizes the parameters that the tire will most likely be required to deliver in service. And that can depend on the operating environment and driving style.

20,000 miles out of set of new tires, in this day and age, is DISMAL tread life. Anyone similarly situated would benefit by examining what factors would cause such shortened tread life when considering a replacement set of tires. Maybe a harder rubber compound, that might sacrifice suppleness for durability, is where the balance of tire traits should shift in order to better meet the specific driver's need. However, if defensiveness doesn't even permit that discussion, then naturally that free advice becomes unavailable.

captbru wrote:

looks like Michelin is the way to go.

Two blow outs reported, from two different parties, each causing $3,500 in damage, and this is the conclusion drawn?

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the above for what it is worth. I never got the Michelin myth, the tires don't live up to the hype in my very unscientific and regionalized experience. It is great that some guys like them, but I don't see hardly anyone run them in my area as a replacement tire. That said, I don't live in Florida. We have frozen water on the roads and about billion metric tons of white stuff on the roads and it ain't Coke. Check out Cooper ( decent tire), Nitto (really like them), and even Falcon which has become a popular AT tire out here. I have one set on a older ZR2 and so far pretty impressive, especially for the money.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Michelin®
Defender LTX M/S

Shop around for price....I went with Costco.

I used to buy all my vehicle tires from Costco but checked Discount Tire once and they kicked Costco's AZZ. Been buying from Discount since.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

captbru wrote:

I rotate the tires at every oil change since new, I have the dealer due the oil changes right around 5000 miles.

I run the rear tires at 80PSI and the front at 75PSI.

Have about 5000 towing miles with the fifth wheel and then a few hundred miles with a utility trailer.

No lead foot while towing the fifth wheel on the Interstate I set the cruise at 62 or 63, never over 65 except to pass if needed. Then back to the set speed. On back roads I due the posted speed limit. When not towing I due the speed limit or no more than 75 on the Interstate if the posted limit is 70.

Hope this answers your questions. I'm just looking for a good set of tires, not what did you due wrong to cause the tires to wear down.

Thank you to the ones that answered, looks like Michelin is the way to go.

At those inflation levels running empty is like using 24 grit sandpaper on the tires. You will see excessive center wear on all 4 tires.

Are you running tires that match the door frame sticker on the truck? if so run the fronts at the inflation level indicated on the sticker. There is no need to go above the door frame sticker on the front tires as you cannot load them enough to need anywhere near max inflation.

If you truly want to get maximum mileage out of your tires -inflation must be set to match actual load. This means when running empty the rear inflation levels must be dropped to a lower level.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have bought defenders for a GMC acadia and 2 sets of defenders for our dually 2 WD chebby truck. Drove to wash st in december 2 winters from Az. Bad road winter conditions both times and never spun a tire. Lots of michelin tires have had crack issues for years including MH's. We have had none. The 1st set was rated for 70K on the truck be replaced them at 50L. Nice even wear but tread was getting thin. I don't try to exend the miles because of towing. 50K was the warranty on the 2nd set. Nothing like fresh tires.
Still waiting for a tire issue for us. Been driving for 62 years 'LUCKY'
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

captbru

Inverness FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok thanks for the constructive replys. Decided on the Michelin Defenders, Discount tries had the best price.

They checked for any warranty from Firestone, because there original tires nothing.

All have a good and safe Fourth

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

captbru wrote:

They checked for any warranty from Firestone, because there original tires nothing.

That's not what the manual I posted earlier said. I have found tire dealers in general do not like to prorate tires. I have even been asked "did you buy them here?" The manual I referenced has the phone number for the manufacturers. That sometimes doesn't help. BFGoodrich told me to take to a different dealer and gave me the name of who to contact. When I went to their place of business and said i was referred to them by BFG the owner said " You have got to be kidding me. I don;t handle their brand of tires."

* This post was edited 07/03/19 01:12pm by Charlie D. *

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

parkmanaa

Houston, Tx.

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't be sorry for going with the Michelin Defender LTX tires. Have used Michelin for more years than I care to remember, on cars, trucks, motorhomes and have NEVER had one failure. It's the only brand I buy, and insist my family does the same.

Funny how so many people blame the tire when they have a blowout. That poor tire may have been encountering everything the highway can throw at it for many, many thousands of miles, but if it should blow out, albiet years later, it's the manufacturer's fault. Never that piece of steel or 4x4 you hit many miles back, that weakened the tire. Always the manufacturer.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlie D. wrote:

captbru wrote:

That's not what the manual I posted earlier said. I have found tire dealers in general do not like to prorate tires. I have even been asked "did you buy them here?" The manual I referenced has the phone number for the manufacturers. That sometimes doesn't help. BFGoodrich told me to take to a different dealer and gave me the name of who to contact. When I went to their place of business and said i was referred to them by BFG the owner said " You have got to be kidding me. I don;t handle their brand of tires."

Discount tire has pro rated many tire sets for me for not meeting mileage guarantee that I bought from them. And the prorate is based on the tire selling price not retail, and they don't require to buy the same tire. I've prorated continentals, Michelin, Bridgestone against another tire I wanted.

On my Trucks I generally get around 60-70% of rated tread life so basically get a 30-40% discount against new tires.

On my cars same thing, maybe we are hard drivers but we seldom get more than 70% of rated life, again Discount tire honors the tread wear warranty with discount on another set of tires.

Neighbor that tows a lot does the same with Discount.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Replacing Tires on my GMC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS