|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> 6 or 12 volt batteries on towed unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
WI_Jeff

NW Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight Battery???? Has anyone ever tried the Harbor Freight "Thunderbolt Magnum Solar 12 Volt, 35 Amp Hour Sealed Lead Acid Battery" (Item # 64102). The specs are right with the VMAXTANKS VMAX V35-857 battery (one of the rvweb;s top 10). Price is great at $70 (56 bucks with the coupon) compared to $109. I know Harbor Freight does not make there own batteries. I checked around and cannot find out who manufactures HF batteries. It is almost worth trying 4 of these batteries just because of the price.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

35 Ah is a tiny battery, think riding lawn mower or maybe motorcycle size.

WI_Jeff

NW Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still learning. I'm getting coupons for 20 to 25 percent off on AutoCraft batteries. They have a few that seem to be "true" deep cycle batteries. They are showing from 550 to 675 CCA and a price from $75 each to $88 each. I cannot find the hour rating. If I get 4 (four) batteries, that is not a bad price. I am a little worried about these being "wet" cell batteries and not AGM type. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What makes you believe they are deep cycle batteries? Nothing in your post suggests they are.

WI_Jeff wrote:

I'm still learning. I'm getting coupons for 20 to 25 percent off on AutoCraft batteries. They have a few that seem to be "true" deep cycle batteries. They are showing from 550 to 675 CCA and a price from $75 each to $88 each. I cannot find the hour rating. If I get 4 (four) batteries, that is not a bad price. I am a little worried about these being "wet" cell batteries and not AGM type. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This ^^^^^

It has always been my understanding that if a battery had CCA ratings then it was a starting battery and not a "deep cycle". I think that stands for "Cold Cranking Amps" which you wouldn't have on a deep cycle battery since they are not designed for starting use.

I also believe that the deep cycle type batteries have thicker and heavier lead plates and are designed to give out lower levels of electricity over a long period of time and can be discharged lower than the starting batteries. I think the starting batteries have more plates which are thinner and are designed to give out bursts of high energy for short periods of time but will probably have a shorter life due to the thinner lead plates and cannot be discharged as far before damaging the battery.

This is just my understanding of how things work in the battery world. I am not an engineer or electrical wizard so please take my words with a grain of salt. [emoticon]
Barney

* This post was edited 07/10/19 07:53am by BarneyS *

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious , what will you be running that will require 3,000 watts ?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do mean #2 or do you mean 00?

#2 at 280 amps makes a pretty good fuse.

Even 00 is on the light side for a 3000 watt inverter.

WI_Jeff wrote:

I used #2 wire and the longest run is about 40 inches.

WI_Jeff

NW Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AS for "Do mean #2 or do you mean 00?". I used #2 Battery cable. (The inverter came with #8 wire to use.) As for the batteries, they say on them that they are "deep cycle" and the description sure "implies" that they are. They also have batteries tat are labeled as starting and deep cycle/starting. I know you can't believe everything you read but, I hope if a national company states that their product is a "deep cycle" it is.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff,

It is a bit unusual for deep cycle batteries to have cold cranking amps listed. Is there at least a reserve capacity number? Marine jars do list CCA but depth of discharge is best kept to only 20%. "Real" deep cycle can do 50%.

Please explain what #2 battery cable is. (diameter?)

00 wire has an outside diameter of stranded copper at 0.450 inches and it may be too thin for a 3000 watt inverter.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this the battery you wish to use?

[image]

There is an approximate way to get amp-hours from reserve capacity.

In this case, it works out to about 85 amp-hours. But since only 20% should be used, from a Marine "deep cycle", that means only 17 amp-hours capacity per battery. With 4 wired in a balanced manner that suggests a total usable capacity of only 68 amp-hour.

To put this in perspective, my coffee maker uses about 6 amp-hours to brew one pot. The fridge, with a 2:3 duty cycle, running on 120 volts would consume about 21 amp-hours in one hour.

I'm not saying you can't use Marine jars. I did that successfully for over 9 years. But I had 875 amp-hours of batteries in two banks and a modest solar charging system to maintain them.

* This post was edited 07/11/19 09:24am by pianotuna *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> 6 or 12 volt batteries on towed unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS