|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Old truck vs new truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have over 250k miles on my 6.0L. The starter let go on me totally out of the blue while up at the yard bringing the camper back to the house to restock.

Long storey short it was 20 minutes to get the tow truck there to flat tow it home, so while waiting around phoned around for a starter, found one. 3 hours after having made the call for the tow truck I was back on the road having installed the starter myself which on the 6.0L took all of an hour to R&R.

Yea, once in a while....but I`d rather do that that spend almost 1K a month for the next 5 years on a new truck. It runs like a champ but wear items like starters, bearings, brakes, ball joints, tie rods, alternators........ are wear items, they wear out, can`t be avoided.

Your truck in my view is almost new. Maybe a little preemptive maintenance would be in order.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 01:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fixing and running your 05 will definitely be less expensive than buying something newer. I'd buy a new diesel.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

wvu_traveler

Charleston, WV

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the responses. May go out and drive a new F250 with a gas and see if I like it. My 2005 is completely stock other than AFE mouthpiece I had installed. If I had the tools and someplace to work on my own truck...id likely just keep my Chevy a few more years. With wife and kids....I just may buy new for piece of mind and go on with life. I don't think i'm brave enough to jump into a diesel of any brand with all the emission junk to deal with.

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wvu_traveler wrote:

I don't think i'm brave enough to jump into a diesel of any brand with all the emission junk to deal with.

That is what warranties are for.

wvu_traveler

Charleston, WV

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True, but I tend to hold onto them beyond the warranty period....and as a daily driver ill be beyond the warranty in 4 years. I don't worry too much about normal upkeep but its the big ticket items that scare me. (turbo, injectors, etc) I cant tolerate much of that. Maybe my current setup has spoiled me, even with its recent rash of expenses...some of its 1k repairs are nothing compared to having to replace a turbo, etc at dealer cost.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have lost money on every warranty including our 2001 alpenlite that was $1400 at a discount.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newer trucks keep getting stronger and stronger and with better transmissions....but wow are they expensive.

I'm mechanically inclined and would likely keep the 6.0,good engines.

NWnative

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wvu_traveler wrote:

Thanks all for the responses. May go out and drive a new F250 with a gas and see if I like it. My 2005 is completely stock other than AFE mouthpiece I had installed. If I had the tools and someplace to work on my own truck...id likely just keep my Chevy a few more years. With wife and kids....I just may buy new for piece of mind and go on with life. I don't think i'm brave enough to jump into a diesel of any brand with all the emission junk to deal with.

If you do, try and drive one with the 4.30 axle. They are hard to find (I special ordered mine). Tows very well with that combo.

2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

We have lost money on every warranty including our 2001 alpenlite that was $1400 at a discount.

chevman

I'm talking factory OEM GM warranty, not aftermarket insurance policies. I'd never purchase or recommend one either.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wvu, you're overthinking it, IMO.
Did you think the same about your Lily Duramax when you bought it? Becasue intercoolers, overheating and injectors were "issues" with them.
You literally do not have more to worry about with a new diesel than the old one in your driveway. If you were talking 08 up to about 2013 I'd have a different answer.
Of course buy what you want, but financially, if your 05 is in otherwise great shape, you're money ahead to run it, even if you do sink a few grand into preventative repairs.
The Internet is good and bad. Now everyone has 1000% more things at their fingertips to worry about!

Gas trucks aren't magically problem free either. Most all new trucks ARE pretty problem free, but example my 2016 Silverado. If it was newer it would have been out of warranty when it spit out a bad transmission at 60k miles, without warning and with proper maintenance. I could look at the flip side and say if it was an Alli behind a Dmax, it wouldn't have happened.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Old truck vs new truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS