RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Short light weight 5th wheel search

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Short light weight 5th wheel search

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/03/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned a 33ft Class A MH since 2004 and am familiar with Class A's. I have been looking for a smaller RV's such as TC's, 24ft Class C's and now 25-28ft 5th wheels. I know little about these RV's other than from searching on the internet. What started the search for small 5th wheels is I did not want to drive a big DRW truck as a second vehicle that I would need for a TC with some room, storage and FW for an RV that would be used for maybe 3 months of the year max. The short 5 wheel looked like a good compromise. So what I have found was a KZ Sportmen 231RK 25ft, UVW 6100lbs, DHW 840 lbs,FW 37 gals and pass tru storage. Second option was a Winnebago Mico Minnie240 5RL 27ft,UVW 5740lbs,DHW 1140lbs,FW 31gals and pass tru storage. Looked at the Escape 5.0 but it had no slide. Do any of you own or know something about these two 5th wheels? Or can recommend other 5th wheels of similar size and specs?

jkwilson

Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 06/14/2010

View Profile


Online
Posted: 07/03/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can generally pull up to around 33’ with an SRW. IMO, livability jumps way up around 32’.

Everybody has different ideas about an ideal layout, but I’d recommend looking at the Grand Design 303RLS as a point of comparison for other rigs. We love ours. It’s just shy of 33’, but really makes good use of space and is plenty comfortable pulling behind a SRW. Some folks even pull them with max tow package F150s.


John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/03/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I have owned a 33ft Class A MH since 2004 and am familiar with Class A's. I have been looking for a smaller RV's such as TC's, 24ft Class C's and now 25-28ft 5th wheels. I know little about these RV's other than from searching on the internet. What started the search for small 5th wheels is I did not want to drive a big DRW truck as a second vehicle that I would need for a TC with some room, storage and FW for an RV that would be used for maybe 3 months of the year max. The short 5 wheel looked like a good compromise. So what I have found was a KZ Sportmen 231RK 25ft, UVW 6100lbs, DHW 840 lbs,FW 37 gals and pass tru storage. Second option was a Winnebago Mico Minnie240 5RL 27ft,UVW 5740lbs,DHW 1140lbs,FW 31gals and pass tru storage. Looked at the Escape 5.0 but it had no slide. Do any of you own or know something about these two 5th wheels? Or can recommend other 5th wheels of similar size and specs?


Since you're already looking at one KZ, I'd also recommend that you look at the Durango Half-Ton and Durango (NOT Gold) lines for more options. Decent quality, if my '17 model is any indication, and their customer service is excellent, too. The Half-Ton series is the follow-on to their previous D1500 series, though I'm not a fan of all the changes. If you find an older 1500 series, take a look at them.

There's a good, relatively active, user forum for KZ. www.kzfamilyforum.com. As here, people there are always ready to answer questions. Several members there also post here.

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 07/03/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grand Design has a few in their Reflection 150 series that are under 30'. Not sure I believe them about being "half ton towable" but all that aside, they look like nice smaller campers. Wouldn't mind having one myself to take on shorter trips instead of our monster.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2........h-wheel/reflection-150-series/floorplans


2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

Lwiddis

Hearst San Simeon State Park

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 07/03/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m a Minnie fan but not of their small fresh water tanks in 2016 and newer models.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


RickLight

Washington

Full Member

Joined: 01/22/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/03/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a lot more to the truck spec than the wheel count.

My short (30' OA, 27'nominal) rig is 18,000-ish grand total, with 10K on the truck axles. My SRW F350 has no trouble at all on steep mountain passes.

So far this summer Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & Glacier!


-----
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/04/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/04/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with statements above. There are a lot of longer 5ers that are completely within ratings of 250/2500 trucks and especially 350/3500 SRW trucks. Unless you just want to stay as small as possible, open up your search for something with more room and multiple slides.

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/04/19 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I have owned a 33ft Class A MH since 2004 and am familiar with Class A's. I have been looking for a smaller RV's such as TC's, 24ft Class C's and now 25-28ft 5th wheels. I know little about these RV's other than from searching on the internet. What started the search for small 5th wheels is I did not want to drive a big DRW truck as a second vehicle that I would need for a TC with some room, storage and FW for an RV that would be used for maybe 3 months of the year max. The short 5 wheel looked like a good compromise. So what I have found was a KZ Sportmen 231RK 25ft, UVW 6100lbs, DHW 840 lbs,FW 37 gals and pass tru storage. Second option was a Winnebago Mico Minnie240 5RL 27ft,UVW 5740lbs,DHW 1140lbs,FW 31gals and pass tru storage. Looked at the Escape 5.0 but it had no slide. Do any of you own or know something about these two 5th wheels? Or can recommend other 5th wheels of similar size and specs?


Since you're already looking at one KZ, I'd also recommend that you look at the Durango Half-Ton and Durango (NOT Gold) lines for more options. Decent quality, if my '17 model is any indication, and their customer service is excellent, too. The Half-Ton series is the follow-on to their previous D1500 series, though I'm not a fan of all the changes. If you find an older 1500 series, take a look at them.

There's a good, relatively active, user forum for KZ. www.kzfamilyforum.com. As here, people there are always ready to answer questions. Several members there also post here.

Lyle
Thanks Lyle, I had looked at the Durango 250 RES on their web site and also found the 1500 245RL, more FW but heavier that is why I zero in on the 231RK. The Durangos claim to be 1/2 ton tow able I would just feel safer towing with the lighter 231FK. I see Ford has a HD 150 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 GVWR 7850 lbs, payload 2,890 lbs, in a super cab and a 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 GVWR 7850 lbs, and a payload of 2870 lbs. I guess if I add 1000lbs for people and stuff that would bring the actual weight close to 7100 lbs. Would the hitch weight increase to 1000 lbs or there abouts? Would this be a safe combination to tow?

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/04/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

I agree with statements above. There are a lot of longer 5ers that are completely within ratings of 250/2500 trucks and especially 350/3500 SRW trucks. Unless you just want to stay as small as possible, open up your search for something with more room and multiple slides.
If I go bigger I start getting into the 33 ft Class A size that I have now. So I just wanted to explore the options of smaller RVs.

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/08/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know anything about Allen Campers Idle Time 5th wheels? They made a number of models less than 27 ft. I was looking at the Idle Time 212RLS with 2 slides 25 ft and the 219RKS 25 ft, one slide, 600 lb DHW, 2400 lbs of CCC, UVW of 5300 lbs. Would these tow OK with the new Ford 150 truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Short light weight 5th wheel search
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS