|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short light weight 5th wheel search

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely. I have responded to your "Pop Up" topic in the TC board, so I might as well respond to this one also. In addition to the Outfitter Pop-Up TC, we also have an Idle Time 219 RKS. Allen Camper Mfg. is a family owned company that is turning out a steady flow of nicely built units. We drove to Allen, OK, and met with owner/partner Doug, who spent several hours with us touring the factory and answering our questions. We were completely satisfied and gave Doug the go-ahead to build our unit.

Picture of both in my profile.

I have an F250, so I can not answer any questions regarding your F150's towing ability.

magic43

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

laknox wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I have owned a 33ft Class A MH since 2004 and am familiar with Class A's. I have been looking for a smaller RV's such as TC's, 24ft Class C's and now 25-28ft 5th wheels. I know little about these RV's other than from searching on the internet. What started the search for small 5th wheels is I did not want to drive a big DRW truck as a second vehicle that I would need for a TC with some room, storage and FW for an RV that would be used for maybe 3 months of the year max. The short 5 wheel looked like a good compromise. So what I have found was a KZ Sportmen 231RK 25ft, UVW 6100lbs, DHW 840 lbs,FW 37 gals and pass tru storage. Second option was a Winnebago Mico Minnie240 5RL 27ft,UVW 5740lbs,DHW 1140lbs,FW 31gals and pass tru storage. Looked at the Escape 5.0 but it had no slide. Do any of you own or know something about these two 5th wheels? Or can recommend other 5th wheels of similar size and specs?

Since you're already looking at one KZ, I'd also recommend that you look at the Durango Half-Ton and Durango (NOT Gold) lines for more options. Decent quality, if my '17 model is any indication, and their customer service is excellent, too. The Half-Ton series is the follow-on to their previous D1500 series, though I'm not a fan of all the changes. If you find an older 1500 series, take a look at them.

There's a good, relatively active, user forum for KZ. www.kzfamilyforum.com. As here, people there are always ready to answer questions. Several members there also post here.

Lyle
Thanks Lyle, I had looked at the Durango 250 RES on their web site and also found the 1500 245RL, more FW but heavier that is why I zero in on the 231RK. The Durangos claim to be 1/2 ton tow able I would just feel safer towing with the lighter 231FK. I see Ford has a HD 150 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 GVWR 7850 lbs, payload 2,890 lbs, in a super cab and a 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 GVWR 7850 lbs, and a payload of 2870 lbs. I guess if I add 1000lbs for people and stuff that would bring the actual weight close to 7100 lbs. Would the hitch weight increase to 1000 lbs or there abouts? Would this be a safe combination to tow?

The only way you can estimate the pin wt of a FW is to figure that the pin's going to be 20-25% of the GVW, so a 10k GVW FW's pin could vary from 2k to 2.5k. Unless you can find someone who has the exact model you are looking at and can weigh it, this is all you can really do.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magic43 wrote:

Absolutely. I have responded to your "Pop Up" topic in the TC board, so I might as well respond to this one also. In addition to the Outfitter Pop-Up TC, we also have an Idle Time 219 RKS. Allen Camper Mfg. is a family owned company that is turning out a steady flow of nicely built units. We drove to Allen, OK, and met with owner/partner Doug, who spent several hours with us touring the factory and answering our questions. We were completely satisfied and gave Doug the go-ahead to build our unit.

I have an F250, so I can not answer any questions regarding your F150's towing ability.
Hi Lynn, thanks for your input. It was becoming clear to me after some searching and help from others like yourself that the TC would be too small for us, but when I saw this Idle Time I thought this could be a good compromise. I take it you did not recieve the new 5th wheel yet? I would like to hear how you like it once you use it. Had you looked at any other small 5th wheels before ordering the 219RKS?

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magic43 wrote:

Wow, like the song says, you've been everywhere man. Nice rig too.

magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe my response was misleading. We have had the Idle Time 219KS for two+ years. It has been to Michigan plus a couple of trips to Pigeon Forge as well as Eureka Springs, AR, & Branson, MO. Excellent performance, plenty of room, and no glitches. I highly recommend it.

[image]
We will leave the 15th on a ~7K mile trip to the PNW with the furtherest away destination being Hyder, AK. This type of trip is best suited for the TC, so the Outfitter will go the the Idle Time will stay at home.

magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Had you looked at any other small 5th wheels before ordering the 219RKS?
We looked for but did not find any 5th wheel comparable to the Idle Time.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magic43 wrote:

Maybe my response was misleading. We have had the Idle Time 219KS for two+ years. It has been to Michigan plus a couple of trips to Pigeon Forge as well as Eureka Springs, AR, & Branson, MO. Excellent performance, plenty of room, and no glitches. I highly recommend it.

[image]
We will leave the 15th on a ~7K mile trip to the PNW with the furtherest away destination being Hyder, AK. This type of trip is best suited for the TC, so the Outfitter will go the the Idle Time will stay at home.
Wow have a nice trip and say hi to the bears in Hyder for me. When I did this trip in 2006 I was very envious of the places the TC's could go that I could not fit with my Class A but it was a great trip. Caught some nice fish.

magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were traveling/camping in a 26' Class C for the 13K mile trip in 1997.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short light weight 5th wheel search
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS