RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Late model truck for hauling a 5th wheel.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Late model truck for hauling a 5th wheel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
skrandle

Muncie

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like most people, (I’m guessing) I don’t have deep pockets to pay for a new truck to pull my Keystone 5th wheel. 12,000 tow weight.
So, my question is in two parts. What is the best diesel engine to have and part #2, what late model truck will give me the lest problems?

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skrandle wrote:

Like most people, (I’m guessing) I don’t have deep pockets to pay for a new truck to pull my Keystone 5th wheel. 12,000 tow weight.
So, my question is in two parts. What is the best diesel engine to have and part #2, what late model truck will give me the lest problems?

Can 'o worms you've opened, but I'll jump in. Is that 12k "tow weight" scaled or the brochure GVW rating for the FW? Second, ASSuming that 12k is the FW's GVW, you're pretty well on the cusp of 3/4t or 1t, depending on how "late model" you go. Personally, I go for a SRW 1t to be sure AND if you can find one. Yes, a 3/4t will likely do a good job, but the cost difference between the 2 is usually pretty minimal.

As for =which= truck to get? What do you prefer? 9mm or .45? It's that kind of argument. Personally, I'm a GM fan, so would tell you to get a Duramax, but they're all pretty good. Again, personally, I do like the Cummins but I =hate= the way they sound and they're in a Dodge/RAM, so 'nuff said. [emoticon] The only experience I have with the Ford PSD is that of my brother's '05 F350, which crapped out on him while towing my old Komfort and cost about $5 grand to fix. My '02 Duramax, while fairly low miles at about 105k, is still going strong, with minimal expenses.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you ar looking after 2011, they are all pretty good. 12,000# on a diesel get a 350/3500 SRW.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Gad man!! Do realize what this question will cause on this forum. Apparently you don't visit this site too often.

Ram owners will say Ram.

GM owners will say GM.

Ford owners will say Ford.

Late model to me is 2017+. Pick any. They are all great trucks. They all have there issues. Non no better than the other.

S

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pick the one you like the interior. Mine is old enough to still be called a Dodge, even though I'm a GM fan. Any will do the job. Make it a 1 ton.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Define late model. If you're going newer than 2011 they are all pretty good. Prior to 2011 avoid the Ford diesels. If you're going way back avoid the Duramax from 2001 to 2004.5 the injectors were problematic. If you're going for a late '90s to mid 2000's Dodge avoid the automatics.
In my personal experience GM trucks have proven themselves extremely reliable. I don't buy them because I like the name, I buy them because they give good service in my business over and over again.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How far back are you talking and what is your budget? A ford 7.3 power stroke with the standard transmission or a dodge 5.9 with a standard transmission would be a good choice. I agree you are close on the 3/4 - 1 ton decision. I say go ahead and get a 1 ton.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most any of the current crop of diesels are good except for the Fords with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engines. These have proven to be troublesome as reflected by their low resale values. You do get what you pay for.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LanceRKeys wrote:

How far back are you talking and what is your budget? A ford 7.3 power stroke with the standard transmission or a dodge 5.9 with a standard transmission would be a good choice. I agree you are close on the 3/4 - 1 ton decision. I say go ahead and get a 1 ton.

I would agree on the 7.3, with the standard transmission, although probably few ,and far between with a standard tranny. 12K towing is right at the limit I would want to tow with a 7.3

I spent nearly 16 years with a 7.3, 350 automatic. CPS was an issue, the recall pretty much got that straightened out. Transmission HAD to have some extra cooling towing heavy, went with the 6.0 cooler

I towed four different RV's with it , not a problem until I reached 13K plus then thats where the lack of power of the 7.3 showed up. Just didn't have it here in the mountains of the west.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, my trailer is about 11,500 ready to camp and on the big passes I have to slow down and down shift. Everywhere else I just set the cruise on 70 and go. 7.3/6speed/3.73. It did take a lot of looking to find a crew cab with a standard transmission. I don’t think it is the best combination out there, but it is one of the best. If money were no issue, I would have a newer 6.7/automatic.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Late model truck for hauling a 5th wheel.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS