RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Late model truck for hauling a 5th wheel.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Late model truck for hauling a 5th wheel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That would be my answer as well, As far as the 2001-2004 Dmax Injectors most of them have been repaired by owner or replaced on GM's 10 year Warranty by now other than that the LB7's are one heck of a motor as I have had two of them along with my Fantastic 07 LBZ DMAX/Allison (in most peoples opinion the best DMAX made[emoticon]
)
KD4UPL wrote:

Define late model. If you're going newer than 2011 they are all pretty good. Prior to 2011 avoid the Ford diesels. If you're going way back avoid the Duramax from 2001 to 2004.5 the injectors were problematic. If you're going for a late '90s to mid 2000's Dodge avoid the automatics.
In my personal experience GM trucks have proven themselves extremely reliable. I don't buy them because I like the name, I buy them because they give good service in my business over and over again.

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 3500 GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I did TNINK I wanted a Lartamie until I sat in the seats after setting in my Folks new LongHorn at Dave Smiths. I left with a LongHorn, now I have another.

I went to the dealer to test drive a Laramie and ended up taking home a Longhorn after DW wandered around the lot and sat in one. I don't recall a massive difference in seat comfort, but according to her there is a significant difference. We both liked the Longhorn better, as an overall package, enough to justify the price increase. We're talking 2019, so earlier models may be a bit different.

As for the op's question, they need to define what they consider "late model" and a budget. There are too many variables to narrow down a suggestion when we could be talking anywhere between 2009 and 2019, $20K and $100K.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO/AISIN 4x4 CCLB DRW | 2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB
Random musings (blog): https://www.lifeenroute.com

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 01:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

My Gad man!! Do realize what this question will cause on this forum. Apparently you don't visit this site too often.

Ram owners will say Ram.

GM owners will say GM.

Ford owners will say Ford.

Late model to me is 2017+. Pick any. They are all great trucks. They all have there issues. Non no better than the other.

S

Well said !! (Except the last two sentences).

To the OP: Suggest you visit *any* of the diesel pickup forums for each brand (there are several for each).

Check the sections for the model and configuration you are considering. (Engines & trannys).
See what *problems* owners are having - how solved, repair costs, etc.
You won't find brand bashing - as the forum/s are for the same brand.

The can't agree with - last two sentences in your post:

Late model to me means "DEF" required. Pre 2006 is my preference.

Unfortunately the 6.0 Ford engines have a (deserved) bad reputation -
due to the "fixits" the factory would allow. Using after market (and after warranty) parts did way better than the factory!

My BIL is a retired GM employee - so, of course he has a (2003) Chevy diesel pickup. His major "after warranty" repair was injectors.
When he looked under the hood of my Dodge '05 CTD - first thing he said was, "You can actually SEE the engine!"

If I was buying new (or "late model") now - it would most likely be a gas burner - or if I was towing heavy, an HDT (way less $ than a new pickup).

Roll on!

[emoticon]

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My personal preference is an LBZ Duramax, but you know how hard one is to find that's 1) NOT a dually and 2) a short bed? Were my '02 in a bit better condition, I've seriously thought about buying an LBZ from a wreck an swapping it out. Biggest issue is that I'd have to install a TapShift of some sort, or change the steering column, due to the 6 speed Allie vs the 5 speed I have.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh Six and a half LBZ.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Late model truck for hauling a 5th wheel.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS