RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Sequoia Can't Really Tow Anything (Family of 6). Am I Right?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Sequoia Can't Really Tow Anything (Family of 6). Am I Right?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to remember that a Sequoia has 3 rows of seating. Switching to a crew cab pickup means giving up a LOT of space, and spending all your travel time with one kid crammed in between you two up front, and three kids shoulder to shoulder in the rear. "Mooooooooom! He's touchingggggg meeeeeeeee!"

Maybe you have unusually well-behaved, patient kids. If so, count yourself lucky.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's a newer sequoia, the limiting factor is the class 2 payload, which won't get any better with a new burb or expedition.
I'll be the antagonist here and say that you can safely tow a lighter trailer. Pretty much any popup due to low profile, or a sub 5klb TT is doable.
I'll explain why in a PM, but not ad nausem to the masses of weight cops here.

You are mostly correct in how you're looking at it, but not entirely, IMO.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Family of 6!

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for all the advice! We are going to look at some of the nicer popups and see if one of them might meet our needs.

I appreciate all of your perspectives!

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One last comment, many owners' manuals are also specifying "maximum frontal area" of the trailer, which in effect rules out hard sided RV trailers and limits towing to low-profile trailers like pop-ups and utility models. The reason being that the wind resistance of a high profile trailer adds as much load to the drivetrain as the weight of the trailer.

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

One last comment, many owners' manuals are also specifying "maximum frontal area" of the trailer, which in effect rules out hard sided RV trailers and limits towing to low-profile trailers like pop-ups and utility models. The reason being that the wind resistance of a high profile trailer adds as much load to the drivetrain as the weight of the trailer.

This totally puzzles me. I look at Sequoia as a more powerful 8-cyl upgrade to a 4runner.

And yet my 4runner can tow 5,000lbs travel trailer easily -- and have overtaken a few heftier Chevies (of course with bigger trailers) on uphill climb on the I-80, I-101, I-5, 395...

* This post was edited 07/08/19 12:04pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An additional 3 swag ft of frontal area has as much drag as 1000 lbs of additional weight. If you were to add a foot of trailer height, about 8 square ft, that is equal to adding 3000 lbs of lead to trailer, or 3 HP at 60 mph for each.

So yes, wind drag does and should be taken in for account.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

This totally puzzles me. I look at Sequoia as a more powerful 8-cyl upgrade to a 4runner.

And yet my 4runner can tow 5,000lbs travel trailer easily -- and have overtaken a few heftier Chevies (of course with bigger trailers) on uphill climb on the I-80, I-101, I-5, 395...

Sam - which 4runner do you have? The older 8-cylinder? If so you may be OK. But if you have a more recent 6-cylinder, what are you doing about hitch weight? That 5000lbs trailer should have a hitch weight of 500 to 700 lbs. That would exceed the capacity of the 4runner's hitch unless you're using weight distribution. Unfortunately, the 4runner's frame isn't recommended for weight distribution. So what's your situation?

I went through all of that stuff a few years ago. Was shocked and terribly disappointed to learn that I was exceeding specs on my 4runner. Had to trade it out for a better tow vehicle. Toyota is horrible about towing and payload. They just don't "get it." And I had been a Toyota loyalist for over 30 years!

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

Sam - which 4runner do you have? The older 8-cylinder? If so you may be OK. But if you have a more recent 6-cylinder, what are you doing about hitch weight? That 5000lbs trailer should have a hitch weight of 500 to 700 lbs. That would exceed the capacity of the 4runner's hitch unless you're using weight distribution. Unfortunately, the 4runner's frame isn't recommended for weight distribution. So what's your situation?

I went through all of that stuff a few years ago. Was shocked and terribly disappointed to learn that I was exceeding specs on my 4runner. Had to trade it out for a better tow vehicle. Toyota is horrible about towing and payload. They just don't "get it." And I had been a Toyota loyalist for over 30 years!

-Speak

It's the 6cyl 4runner. This is my 3rd 4runner and had a mechanical engineer friend who worked for Toyota.

My initial question to him was why my older one was rated at 7,000 lbs with the same 6 cyl engine. He said it was for bigger safety allowance for the litigious US customers.

He also assured me that my 4runner has welded cross member on chassis meant for towing (I did look underneath).

I have a weight distribution rated for 1,200 lbs. but have driven not quite a few miles without it. It's an afterthought looking at how that 5,000 lbs trailer is sitting on that single 2 5/8' ball. I admit it added some stability or confidence -- which might actually be psychological.

I have encountered most of the adverse driving conditions I can imagine and I don't want to add anymore into my worry.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

SpeakEasy wrote:

-Speak

I have encountered most of the adverse driving conditions I can imagine and I don't want to add anymore into my worry.

I hear you. I didn't need to add to my worries either, and I really wanted to keep that 4Runner. It towed like a dream. However, when I was faced with the fact that the manufacturer would not endorse use of a WDH, I had to deal with it. I contacted Toyota directly, and they told me directly that use of the WDH was not recommended. It has to do with the way the receiver is attached to the frame. There are mere bolts to make that attachment, and the rotational torque applied by the WDH was not appropriate for that attachment point. Se la vie.

-Speak

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

SpeakEasy wrote:

-Speak

I hear you. I didn't need to add to my worries either, and I really wanted to keep that 4Runner. It towed like a dream. However, when I was faced with the fact that the manufacturer would not endorse use of a WDH, I had to deal with it. I contacted Toyota directly, and they told me directly that use of the WDH was not recommended. It has to do with the way the receiver is attached to the frame. There are mere bolts to make that attachment, and the rotational torque applied by the WDH was not appropriate for that attachment point. Se la vie.

-Speak

Thanks and I appreciate the info.

Time for me to check my own understanding (lol).

I might mis-understood "not necessary" with "not recommended" (i.e., harmful and dangerous).

Yes indeed, the 4runner tows like a dream -- an author/RVer in fact wrote about it entitled "The Little Machine Than Can" (or something).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Sequoia Can't Really Tow Anything (Family of 6). Am I Right?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS