RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Help needed- 1997 Bounder steering parts needed

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

 > Help needed- 1997 Bounder steering parts needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/04/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be very careful when selecting Ball joints for your P-30 chassis. I have had two ball joint failures because a shop installed the wrong ball joints twice. One was at 60 mpg around a corner when the front end just collapsed and the MH almost rolled over. You probably won't find the correct OEM part number so you will look for the after market ones. Does you MH have disc brakes or drum brakes in the rear? The larger heavier P-30's had disc brakes the shorter lighter one had drum breaks. The ball joints are much different. If you have disc brakes on the rear of your P-30 chassis the part number you need is Moog K6511 for the lowers and K6174 for the uppers. Stay away from the Dorman ball joints they are all for the lighter chassis with drum breaks on the rear even though they say HD they are under size on the taper, this is what my shop at home installed and after about 5000 miles they work hardened from being loose in the taper and just failed. Henderson sells these ball joints. Also check your A arms for cracking. That is a whole other discussion. Good Luck.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 07/04/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary, I thought you would have the numbers.
OP: I would try to get new control arms with the right joints installed. Takes time and money to have new joints pressed in your control arms.


Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker


Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/04/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Gary, I thought you would have the numbers.
OP: I would try to get new control arms with the right joints installed. Takes time and money to have new joints pressed in your control arms.
. Hi Bud, I provided the numbers in my post. Maybe lost in the detail. They are K6511 and K 6174.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 07/04/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, Gary! I saw them. I could not find my numbers.

Bounder-ing

Prairies

New Member

Joined: 06/26/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/04/19 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Be very careful when selecting Ball joints for your P-30 chassis. I have had two ball joint failures because a shop installed the wrong ball joints twice. One was at 60 mpg around a corner when the front end just collapsed and the MH almost rolled over. You probably won't find the correct OEM part number so you will look for the after market ones. Does you MH have disc brakes or drum brakes in the rear? The larger heavier P-30's had disc brakes the shorter lighter one had drum breaks. The ball joints are much different. If you have disc brakes on the rear of your P-30 chassis the part number you need is Moog K6511 for the lowers and K6174 for the uppers. Stay away from the Dorman ball joints they are all for the lighter chassis with drum breaks on the rear even though they say HD they are under size on the taper, this is what my shop at home installed and after about 5000 miles they work hardened from being loose in the taper and just failed. Henderson sells these ball joints. Also check your A arms for cracking. That is a whole other discussion. Good Luck.


Yikes, glad you're OK. I went to the local NAPA, trucks division, and the parts guy told me frankly that he'd rather not order stuff because it's not guaranteed to fit. I thought he was too lazy, but I was wrong. Thank you for the parts numbers and advice, appreciated. It does have the discs on all four, so your numbers are what I need.

I will look for arms, didn't realize that is an issue either.

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/05/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bounder-ing wrote:

Gjac wrote:

Be very careful when selecting Ball joints for your P-30 chassis. I have had two ball joint failures because a shop installed the wrong ball joints twice. One was at 60 mpg around a corner when the front end just collapsed and the MH almost rolled over. You probably won't find the correct OEM part number so you will look for the after market ones. Does you MH have disc brakes or drum brakes in the rear? The larger heavier P-30's had disc brakes the shorter lighter one had drum breaks. The ball joints are much different. If you have disc brakes on the rear of your P-30 chassis the part number you need is Moog K6511 for the lowers and K6174 for the uppers. Stay away from the Dorman ball joints they are all for the lighter chassis with drum breaks on the rear even though they say HD they are under size on the taper, this is what my shop at home installed and after about 5000 miles they work hardened from being loose in the taper and just failed. Henderson sells these ball joints. Also check your A arms for cracking. That is a whole other discussion. Good Luck.


Yikes, glad you're OK. I went to the local NAPA, trucks division, and the parts guy told me frankly that he'd rather not order stuff because it's not guaranteed to fit. I thought he was too lazy, but I was wrong. Thank you for the parts numbers and advice, appreciated. It does have the discs on all four, so your numbers are what I need.

I will look for arms, didn't realize that is an issue either.
If you need the arms you probably won't find the arms with the correct ball joint, said another way the arms will be correct but the ball joints will have to be replaced with the correct one. Check your ride height by measuring the distance between the bumper stop to the upper A arm you should have at least 1.5 ins on both sides.

mike brez

Unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 09/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/05/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some good info on the P chassis

Here and Here


1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Bounder-ing

Prairies

New Member

Joined: 06/26/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/09/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys for the help and resources.
To add some info, one of the parts guys from SuperSteer said that they can't get the arms anymore, Moog doesn't have them in stock and there's no notice of when/if production resumes. He said the motorhome arms are different from the van ones, of course.

Once all the parts arrive I hope to have my MH sorted out for a couple years. After that I'll be looking for something that is more straight forward in terms of parts. I don't mind the cost, I knew things needed to be fixed, but this run around is a bit much.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 07/09/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did super steer have the moog control arm part numbers?
Check with Rare Parts!

Bounder-ing

Prairies

New Member

Joined: 06/26/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/09/19 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope,didn't think to ask for the number. I'll call tomorrow and post. The shop checked mine and they couldn't find any cracks so I stopped searching for them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

 > Help needed- 1997 Bounder steering parts needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS