|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Decisions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
melandme

Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B. 26 ft with no slide. This is our 4th year and no problems. Like that it has a sofa and a dinette. Some people do not like the corner bed, but we have learned how to deal with it. Lot of exterior storage.

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a 28 ft winnebago B+, the 24 fts we know of leave a lot to be desired. Friend bought 1 (thor) and it basic construction was a mess. Paid a bunch and lost his butt when he traded for a used bounder. The bed had to be folded to close the slide, bathroom very small and ajacent to the bedroom. Dining are also cramped. Couch on curb side was nice but the attachments on it were not secure, overal quality very suspect.

As to the sprinter types all depends on whether or not you like twin beds/couches to sleep on. Looked at a mercedes/winnebago and its Quality was also questionable. The wall sections and pieces under cabinets were already coming apart and they still wanted 6 figures for it. Just make sure as noted what is the floor plan and if you will like it.

ol' yeller

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I started looking I wanted to stay under 30 feet. I wound up buying an Entegra Esteem 29V. Tape measure and manufacturer says it is 32.5' bumper to bumper. Dealer told me it was 30' and the name implies it is 29'. Whatever size I notice no complications over the 27' Aspect we had before. The extra floor space is very nice.

I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I would rather buy a Chev/Ford chassis due to the broader network of dealers. The Ford E450 will offer you a GVWR of 14,500# and Chevy just a tad less but the Chev will offer a little better ride and little more foot room for the passenger. I had to spend some money to upgrade the ride of my Ford where I might have been able to save that if I had bought a Chevy. But, I wanted the floorplan, so I bought what was avl. at the time.

I'm not sure about M.Benz Sprinter chassis. Having the cars in the family , I have learned to lease them so I don't have the expense to repair them.
Don't Sprinters have to go to a Sprinter or Freightliner dealership who have the necessary software to clear codes etc. Reading the forums, certain parts of the country can be spread a little thin for Sprinter service. I have heard of owners being stuck hundreds of miles from a dealership. Don't know how true or not . Just something to look into, maybe things have improved over the last year or so.

Regarding the floorplans:
How do they run the lines when you have a kitchen built into a slide ?
I would be concerned about what plumbing or gas lines move or what has to flex in order to deploy and retract the slide. Try to keep things as simple as possible, to limit potential problems that will mean down time for you.

I would only buy a slide floorplan that can be used 100% when retracted. You might have live that way until you can get an appointment for a slide repair.

Make sure your queen bed is really a queen bed 60x80, if that's important to you. Unlike 5th wheels, some "C" floorplans can be a little sneaky if your not paying attention to bed size.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pick one that will suit your needs and a floor plan that you can live with.

My recommendations or suggestions would be try to get one on a Chevy Chassis both MFG you listed have them on a Chevy Chassis. They will give you a better ride and more room among other perks.

As noted a Chevy or Ford have a larger network of dealers and service centers,that is one thing I would look at too.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have done exactly what you are thinking of doing. Sold the Arctic Fox 5'vr and bought a small Class C-used. It's a 2017 Forest River Forester LE with a Chevy 450 chassis and gas engine. Wanted a Chevy cause had heard/read a lot of complaints of heat coming through floorboards from engine/exhaust/etc. into front passenger seating area from Ford. Also, wanted slightly used Class C hoping the majority of issues/problems had been ironed by previous owner and would still be under warranties if something did pop up. It is about 24ft.- easy to drive and can take it anywhere. If the occasion did a pop up to not take the R.V. we used Uber and Enterprise-lot easier than a toad.

04 F250,CC, 4x4, Dsl., LgBd, XLT, SuperDuty, Cmpr Pkg, Off Rd Pkg

07 Arctic Fox 29 5T
Toad Riv B.C.
17 Chev/CLS C F.R. Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think 27 feet is the ideal size. It will drive much like a car. My own RV is a class C of 28'5" and I find the extra length means a LOT more tail swing.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lucy6194

Cape cod MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks what I wanted to know not the bull

Aadkins101

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the same predicament - the hooking up the trailer became too difficult. We traded our trailer for a 2019 Coachman Leprechaun 210 RS - 24’9. We have had it now for 10 months - no major problems. Love it. We lived in it in FL for 3 months comfortably. We now rent a car if we are going to be in a place for more than a week. For shorter trips, we just drive the Leprechaun to do errands - easy to park. We have no intention of getting a toad. We are finished with towing anything!

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aadkins101 wrote:

We had the same predicament - the hooking up the trailer became too difficult. We traded our trailer for a 2019 Coachman Leprechaun 210 RS - 24’9. We have had it now for 10 months - no major problems. Love it. We lived in it in FL for 3 months comfortably. We now rent a car if we are going to be in a place for more than a week. For shorter trips, we just drive the Leprechaun to do errands - easy to park. We have no intention of getting a toad. We are finished with towing anything!

We got our C ten years ago. I was tired of sway bar hook-up, along with backing it and parking it. All we do now is pull in level it and plug in the electric. If it isn't simple, it seems too much like work. Ours is a 21 footer, shorter than some pick-ups.
Brian

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Decisions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS