|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newby Dry Camping Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golferdude21 wrote:

Yes both water heater and dometic fridge/freezer can run on LP...how much battery life does the fridge use... i know its hard to tell but on average with a new group 27 battery

If you're serious about dry camping, DON'T get a single 12v dual purpose marine battery. They are not true deep cycle battery.
Get a pair of 6v golf cart batteries, wired in series.

How will you deal with gray water and fresh water, since you don't have any hookups?

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of South Western Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How will you deal with gray water and fresh water, since you don't have any hookups?

I don't think him and his wife have to worry too much about gray water and fresh water for 3 days of dry camping.

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we first got our rig we did 2 nights dry camping on a 100AH "deep cycle" battery. For our first longer trip I got 2 Walmart $83 similar batteries. Now we can do 5 nights.

I'm moving to better stuff, generator, solar, lithium... But right now this works.

-----
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The very first modification to my class C was adding solar panels. If I don't run my inverter, I run out of water before I run out of power. If I'm frugal with water use so that takes 2 weeks. (84 US gallons).

* This post was edited 07/05/19 10:21pm by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An inverter to charge cell phones, computers, and watch TV if you desire.

I put in 120 watt inverter, and kicking myself for not going with 300 watt. But, I don't think the 12V circuit I tapped into was sized appropriately for 300 watts.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re Fridge (And furnace) they burn propane for heat and 12 volts for other stuff (Fans. Control power. Ignition)

Re battery upgrade from one to two
MARINE/deep cycle are primarily starting batteries You should keep them at 75-80% minimum.

GC-2 Golf car batterries (you need 2 in series to make 12 volt) are TRUE deep cycle. so is the GC-12 (a 12 volt Golf Car Battery) you can safely take ''em to half full

Some capacity averages (note specific battery may vary up to 15%

Group 24 75 amp hours
Group 27 just under 100
Group 29 Just over 100
Group 31 about 130

GC-2 Pairs 220

GC-12.. I am not sure but I think abound 150

The most popular battery is the GC-2 (By that I mean they make more of them than any other size) and thus the cost per unit is lower due to the economy of scale.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

MARINE/deep cycle are primarily starting batteries You should keep them at 75-80% minimum.

GC-2 Golf car batterries (you need 2 in series to make 12 volt) are TRUE deep cycle. so is the GC-12 (a 12 volt Golf Car Battery) you can safely take ''em to half full

Some capacity averages (note specific battery may vary up to 15%

Group 24 75 amp hours (17.5 usable)
Group 27 just under 100 (25.o usable)
Group 29 Just over 100(25.0 usable)
Group 31 about 130(32.5 usable)

GC-2 Pairs 220(100.0 usable)

Applying your usage recommendations, makes those numbers much much worse.

But, I understood that GC2 could go to 80 discharge without damage, and the rest to 50% discharge.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

I don't think him and his wife have to worry too much about gray water and fresh water for 3 days of dry camping.

I prefaced my post with "if you want to get serious about dry camping".

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have decent batteries, you don't need to do anything. The first 2 years we had our camper we dry camped a couple times each year for 2-3 nights with no issue and no generator. The fridge and water heater run off propane, minimal battery draw. Even non LED lights use little battery. You are camping, so enjoy the fire, don't sit in your camper. We only used lights when we needed them, essentially only for getting ready for bed. We filled our water before leaving so had plenty of water, took showers every night. If you think your lights are drawing too much battery, then use a flashlight or lantern. Sure you don't have things that run on AC, but most of your camper is designed to run off battery. We had a couple cold nights, so ran the furnace for a little in the AM - no issues with battery usage. And if you cook in the AM, the stove will heat the camper. Much more comfortable than a tent, and those guys have no batteries to keep their lights on... [emoticon] Just enjoy the outdoors[emoticon]

We now have a generator. Bought it so we can run the AC. So far, in 2 trips of having the generator I have only run it for an hour or so a day to charge the batteries or use something like the microwave to cook something. Seems like the generator is more important to charge our cell phones...

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The frig and the water heater use very little battery power when on propane. I have a pair group 31 12 volt batteries and easily go 3 days if I run the furnace in the morning only. The furnace will have the biggest battery draw, but we use sleeping bags to help. We percolate our coffee on the stove (better flavor) and go without a drip coffee maker avoiding the use of an inverter. I think inverters are not very efficient because usually you have a larger battery bank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newby Dry Camping Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS